Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyundai to Launch 2016 Midsize BEV Powered By Next-Gen LG Chem Batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

“Hyundai’s first pure EV will be a mid-sized sedan. Equipped with improved batteries, enhanced system management and lighter materials, the upcoming model will weigh about 30 percent less than existing hybrid EVs.”

According to Hyundai, the automaker will offer no less than 12 PHEV models by 2020, plus at least one BEV, the midsize sedan announced above.

The future PHEVs (or possibly BEVs) coming from Hyundai include a sporty electric car, a SUV and a flurry of smaller sedans/hatchbacks.

SK Innovations, battery supplier for the Kia Soul EV, will provide packs for Hyundai’s PHEVs, while LG Chem has been tasked with producing next-generation batteries for Hyundai’s 2016 midsize, all-electric sedan.

If we had to guess, we’d say that Hyundai’s midsize sedan BEV will have no less than 150 miles of range.

Hyundai Commits To 2016 Launch Of Midsize Electric Car Powered By Next-Generation LG Chem Batteries

Reactions: Vitold

“Hyundai’s first pure EV will be a mid-sized sedan. Equipped with improved batteries, enhanced system management and lighter materials, the upcoming model will weigh about 30 percent less than existing hybrid EVs.”

According to Hyundai, the automaker will offer no less than 12 PHEV models by 2020, plus at least one BEV, the midsize sedan announced above.

The future PHEVs (or possibly BEVs) coming from Hyundai include a sporty electric car, a SUV and a flurry of smaller sedans/hatchbacks.

SK Innovations, battery supplier for the Kia Soul EV, will provide packs for Hyundai’s PHEVs, while LG Chem has been tasked with producing next-generation batteries for Hyundai’s 2016 midsize, all-electric sedan.

If we had to guess, we’d say that Hyundai’s midsize sedan BEV will have no less than 150 miles of range.

Hyundai Commits To 2016 Launch Of Midsize Electric Car Powered By Next-Generation LG Chem Batteries

And if I had to guess, what with the 30% reduction in weight, and batteries and system management being a large part of weight, I'd say it would be no MORE than 120 miles range, which is 50% more than anyone now (other than Tesla) offers. They will brag about that for about 5 years.

this is what elon wants.

anyways, a 150mi pure EV in less than two years from now....if the cost is right....and is not fugly....and they actually adverstise it....

well, that's a lotta if's. but we're getting there!

AND if they actually offer it/them for sell in broader areas other than California for the Kia Soul and VW E- Golf are being offered only in California, Oregon, New England/New York/New Jersey.
A decent looking and performing mid-lower priced EV with over 150 mile range would allow the conversation to get very interesting.

AND if they actually offer it/them for sell in broader areas other than California for the Kia Soul and VW E- Golf are being offered only in California, Oregon, New England/New York/New Jersey.
A decent looking and performing mid-lower priced EV with over 150 mile range would allow the conversation to get very interesting.

agreed.

i mean look at the golf EV that gg bought. such a beautiful piece of EV....but only 80mi. If they just doubled that, and sold it everywhere, and actualy advertised it, it could be such a massive hit.

we're so close to that point. and if you are elon, you dont care which EV model makes the big time - as long as it's pure EV.

agreed.

i mean look at the golf EV that gg bought. such a beautiful piece of EV....but only 80mi. If they just doubled that, and sold it everywhere, and actualy advertised it, it could be such a massive hit.

we're so close to that point. and if you are elon, you dont care which EV model makes the big time - as long as it's pure EV.
I agree, if the VW golf EV had over 150 miles battery range, was sold nation wide, promoted by educated dealers and had access to the Tesla Supercharger network:wink: it would be a huge success.

agreed.

My eGolf gets closer to 100 mi than 80.

Glad to see this. Why is it about what Elon wants? I like him too, but I think it's more about what the world needs. I suspect this would do very well if they also address charging infrastructure.

It looks like the EV, PHEV and hybrid variants will all use a similar chassis. New sub-brand name "AE" (likely similar to the Prius brand at Toyota):

Hyundai, Kia Launching Seven Electrified Vehicles by 2017

Plug-in hybrid to become buzzword in 2016

IONIQ. It's now official:

Hyundai Motor introduces IONIQ, the first car to offer a choice of three electrified powertrains

• Electric, plug-in hybrid and hybrid powertrains available in a single body type, a world first

• The IONIQ breaks hybrid stereotype by delivering entertaining drive alongside class-leading fuel economy and appealing design
• Global launch set for January 2016 in Korea, followed by Geneva and New York auto shows, an important step as Hyundai Motor works to be global green car market leader

December 7, 2015 – Hyundai Motor has announced the name of its advanced, alternative-fuel compact vehicle due for launch in 2016: the Hyundai IONIQ [pronunciation: a?|?:n?k]. The car will be available with electric, plug-in gasoline/electric hybrid, or gasoline/electric hybrid powertrain – the first car from any manufacturer to offer customers these three powertrain options in a single body type.

Hyundai Ioniq To Be Offered In BEV, PHEV, HEV IN 2016

I like the lines, always enjoyed Hyundai's designs.

This line was not written by an engineer:

"In its fully-electric (EV) form, the IONIQ is powered by a high capacity, ultra-efficient lithium ion battery."

(What on God's green earth is an ultra-efficient battery?)

I would be careful to dismiss this car just on the basis of the BEV sharing platoforms with the Hybrid and Plug-in hybrid version. The VW Golf, for example, is a very good example of a shared platform where the BEV is an excellent car. The difference of course being that the e-Golf is a short range EV while the Ioniq (apparently) is a long(er) range EV (unconfirmed as of yet).

I like the lines, always enjoyed Hyundai's designs.

This line was not written by an engineer:

"In its fully-electric (EV) form, the IONIQ is powered by a high capacity, ultra-efficient lithium ion battery."

(What on God's green earth is an ultra-efficient battery?)

Pretty much all li-ion batteries are very efficient, as a major cause of in-efficiency in li-ion batteries is due to irreversible reactions.

H2 fuel cells, they are not efficient, or if marketing calls H2 fuel cells efficient then li-ion must be ultra efficient.

what is not an ultra efficient battery? pretty much all other battery types, Pb, Nimh, etc

- - - Updated - - -

IONIQ

at a guess it looks related to Hyundai I40
my guess is that it is internally benchmarked against the Hyundai i40 diesel.

should be significantly closer to a nice euro sedan type experience than Prius/LEAF/Spark/Volt etc.
it won't be a Tesla 3 competitor, but its possible that the PHEV and EV version combined could outsell the Tesla 3.
(actually its probable, if the Kia equivalents is added to the list.)

Hyundai i40 Premium v Hyundai Sonata Premium :: Comparison review
Hyundai Sonata vs Hyundai i40: Head To Head Review | CarsGuide

Let's hope it looks as good as the teaser ...

ioniq-750x381.jpg

Let's hope it looks as good as the teaser ...

ioniq-750x381.jpg

Probably nothing to worry about on that front. Hyundai/Kia have been putting out some very nice-looking mid-level sedans lately. At least on the outside, I haven't peeked inside one recently. Based on this tease, rear seat passengers will be allowed to have legs, unlike with the Volt.

The nagging questions, naturally, will be battery capacity, heating system, charging infrastructure (some have been "caught" charging at CCS fast-chargers). Implementation details matter. Some answers come in January...

Probably nothing to worry about on that front. Hyundai/Kia have been putting out some very nice-looking mid-level sedans lately. At least on the outside, I haven't peeked inside one recently. Based on this tease, rear seat passengers will be allowed to have legs, unlike with the Volt.

The nagging questions, naturally, will be battery capacity, heating system, charging infrastructure (some have been "caught" charging at CCS fast-chargers). Implementation details matter. Some answers come in January...
My biggest questions would be:

- Range?
- Does it have >100 kW charging?
- Price?
- Availability?

In that order.

If the answers to those questions are good, I might consider buying one. In all probability the Model X will be too expensive for me, so I'm really looking for something to fill the gap between now and the point where I can buy a used Model X or Model Y. The Ioniq doesn't look that bad - it's not a station wagon, but it could be almost the same size as my i30/Elantra.

Now, if it also has AWD and tow hitch, plus acceptable characteristics in regards to the four questions, I might even drop the plans for a Model X entirely. (I'm not holding my breath, though.)

Last edited:
So this is for january 2016? :D

hopefully it delivers!

Just the unveiling date in Korea, but looking at the spy pictures in street testing above (see my previous post) this looks like a 2016 car to me, or at the latest 2017.

LG Chem was also talking about increasing production for a new mystery customer by early 2016 (not GM or GM Bolt-related), this could match the Hyundai announcement timing:

Hagemeyer, the plant's human resources manager, said only that the customer is a major automaker, and that production would begin the first quarter of next year .

LG Chem remains mum on mystery customer

Last edited:
Very exciting if this car shows up in the USA early 2016. Motor trend has a bunch of pictures that seem to be taken in the Mojave / Ridgecrest are of California. Interesting in the pictures are also VW eGolf, Leaf, BMW i3, and Prius that are on the road test. They were likely making comparison testing vs these other "short range" EV's. Does that mean the Ionic is comparable in range to a Leaf? Or will the range be greater?

Hyundai Ioniq Confirmed as Brand’s Prius-Fighter, Will Offer EV Model