Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Test Fail?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://jalopnik.com/this-test-shows-why-tesla-autopilot-crashes-keep-happen-1826810902

Interesting scenario. In this kind of situation a driver might be able to swerve where auto pilot just brakes, but if there are other cars in the next lane I think a crash is inevitable. Essentially the Car in front is driving irresponsibly or not paying attention and end up causing the accident?

I'm 50/50 on this one. At least the autopilot went into brake mode immediately, where distracted driver might hit with more speed. But, a real driver might also glance in the mirror and be able to avoid the accident.

thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: Arpe and bhzmark
I had a hunch that's what was happening with these collisions, like the firetruck maybe? It will be years before this will automate I think.

I would likely avoid and have on a freeway at high speeds. Instincts took over for me. I already knew there was no one to my side because I typically don't allow it. Comes from early MC days maybe, always driving like I'm invisible.

Anyway, this is a perfect example of where I people could learn how the car thinks before taking the keys. On another thread, I'm preaching education! This would definitely be part of the training.

I don't really buy that premise. I have seen the video of an SUV 2 cars ahead tumbling and the Tesla seemed to respond early, but what I've also learned is that Tesla will brake before I see brake lights on the car in front. That's because the driver of the car in front took their foot off the gas and radar saw that before I did.

I don't think Radar is that selective. Maybe.

Reactions: Arpe
Does any car mfrs adaptive cruise work in that scenario?

Does the inflatable car present a proper radar signal?
Most will crash, but they will reduce the speed examples without a lead car:

Here's the deal, if this happens to you manually driving then there's still a huge possibility you will, in fact, crash. Especially if you didn't actually have an escape route.

I have a few observations from the video:
1. The car in front of the Model S moves out of the lane quickly, in my experience, AP2 reacts very quickly (sometimes it's too sensitive) to cars moving into and out of lanes in front of you. And it very quickly and assertively brakes if a car crosses perpendicularly in front of you. I'm guessing the Model S in the video it did slow a little bit when the car quickly pulled out, which would have alerted the driver.
2. Whenever I rapidly approach a stationary car I get a loud audible warning from my Model X and Model 3 (It hates it when I tailgate!). In fact, each morning I drive around a sharp curve with parked cars on the curve and I often get a beep-beep-beep warning as if the parked cars are stationary in my lane; especially if one of the parked cars is sticking out into the road.
3. If appears that the Model S stopped very soon after hitting the foam car, is that from the automatic braking or the driver? If it is automatic braking, it did it's job well.

I get the point of the video, but I think they left out some important details in order to make their point.

Not sure they mention it but it would help to know the exact speed it was traveling and the firmware they were using. As we know OTA Updates have been happing which could have affected the results. Especially after 2018.10.4. Not evaluation is helpful without knowing the fw version.

Reactions: Arpe
I don't really buy that premise. I have seen the video of an SUV 2 cars ahead tumbling and the Tesla seemed to respond early, but what I've also learned is that Tesla will brake before I see brake lights on the car in front. That's because the driver of the car in front took their foot off the gas and radar saw that before I did.

I don't think Radar is that selective. Maybe.
Those SUVs were moving. I think Autopilot can only "see" moving objects and lane lines.

Definitely lane lines ;)
20180614_151934_resized.jpg

That was on an older version of AP. They retested since the update and resolved the issue.

Just like the braking problem?

You don't this in the automotive industry --- people can be killed due to these "issues"

When a car is delivered to the customer - it is assumed that these "issues" have been worked out and the product has been fully tested and developed.

Cars should never be delivered while in the "Beta" stage of development.......Tesla already has several deaths attributed to delivering a half-baked product (and who knows how many customers' hours lost to Service Center visits for issues (and "unrelated issues"))

GM's Super Cruise is limited to areas that GM knows its product can perform at higher level than "Beta" and not put the general public (and its customers) in danger