Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flood of inventory cars has replaced CPOs in Canada and US

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rypalmer

Aug 22, 2014
Canada
82% of the CPO cars for sale by Tesla in the US and Canada are inventory cars, and almost all have Auto Pilot. This is quite a change from a week ago, when the vast majority were true pre-owned. Inventory cars with < 100km are trading at roughly a 10% discount, and are eligible for incentives all the same.

Not sure what we can attribute this change to, but it would seem there is plenty in play for Tesla coming at the end of this quarter (end of March) -- the Model 3 release of course, but perhaps something more.

hmmmm....I assume these inventory cars are eligible for provincial rebates too? There is a 70D that showed up in Vancouver this morning with only 100km. Before I placed my order (earlier this month) the sales person sent me the list of 5 they had in inventory and they were all 90ds and no discount either. Where would it have shown up from? Cancelled order?

hmmmm....I assume these inventory cars are eligible for provincial rebates too? There is a 70D that showed up in Vancouver this morning with only 100km. Before I placed my order (earlier this month) the sales person sent me the list of 5 they had in inventory and they were all 90ds and no discount either. Where would it have shown up from? Cancelled order?
Well Vancouver is showing four cars. I wouldn't call that a "Flood".
I hope they are using the CPO's for service loaners so I don't have to drive an ICE next time.

Well Vancouver is showing four cars. I wouldn't call that a "Flood".
I hope they are using the CPO's for service loaners so I don't have to drive an ICE next time.

There are 4 CPO cars in all of Canada and 10 in the USA - if the website is to be believed. It's not so much a flood as a.... little dribble. :) And they're all 2014 or older - and so clearly not inventory.

31 new inventory Teslas now for Vancouver. Out of the five 70d four have a higher VIN number than my order with the $5,000 provincial rebate running out....not going to be a happy camper if mine arrives and I am out the $5,000.

Is the Kitsilano store opening soon? Maybe they're stocking up ahead of a grand opening. More than half the inventory in the whole country is in BC.

I suspect the higher inventory is due to the lower C$. Some felt they could afford it...but when it finally came down to purchase, they backed off.

The VINs are darn near sequential... eg. x716, x718, x719, x720, x722, x723. It's almost like they did a production run just for inventory.

82% of the CPO cars for sale by Tesla in the US and Canada are inventory cars, and almost all have Auto Pilot. This is quite a change from a week ago, when the vast majority were true pre-owned. Inventory cars with < 100km are trading at roughly a 10% discount, and are eligible for incentives all the same.

Not sure what we can attribute this change to, but it would seem there is plenty in play for Tesla coming at the end of this quarter (end of March) -- the Model 3 release of course, but perhaps something more.
CPO != inventory

This is just like what happened last year to my brother when he got his 85D. Tesla prices cars based on when they are ordered. So right after the significant price increase last August, all of Tesla's inventory cars were still at the old price(almost $10k lower). So my brother got a new 85D (had yet to arrive at the TO store). In fact in one week they sold all five inventory 85D's that they had at the old price. So if anyone is bummed about the last price increase, get one of these NOW!!!

I think there are only a few left at the "old" price..2 have sold in the last few days...time is of the essence...

This is just like what happened last year to my brother when he got his 85D. Tesla prices cars based on when they are ordered. So right after the significant price increase last August, all of Tesla's inventory cars were still at the old price(almost $10k lower). So my brother got a new 85D (had yet to arrive at the TO store). In fact in one week they sold all five inventory 85D's that they had at the old price. So if anyone is bummed about the last price increase, get one of these NOW!!!

Yes I realize this. What would we call the combination of CPO + Inventory sales? Do we have a term for this?

I don't think there's a combined term. Tesla calls them "showroom and pre-owned"....

"Buy a Model S Today
Every showroom and pre-owned Model S comes with a 4 year, 80,000 km limited warranty."

Pre-Owned Model S | Tesla Motors Canada

In reality, 0% of the CPO cars are inventory.

Or, conversely, 100% of CPO cars are inventory. I'm certain CPO vehicles are shown on Tesla's inventory log sheet together with the inventory vehicles. But I do get your point.

Last edited:
Another thought on what might be happening. I was told that all loaner cars are listed for sale (always). I know that our store had several waiting to come in. The likely answer is that the loaners are starting to arrive and are listed for sale. Right now they are not discounted much at all, but should be by $1/mile and 1% per month. In 5-6 months they should start seeing a pretty good discount. Also, I have noticed there are a good number of low optioned cars out there for sale. It should help some people jump in as these cars will get down to $60k after the rebates, maybe even lower.

Vancouver was well stocked today...

Vancouver Inventory.jpg