Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Deep Rain” Windshield Wipers - Seattle Storm Edition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’ve had quite a storm in Seattle so I’m interested in hearing what other Seattle-area X drivers think, especially since I think our wipers and windshield give us unique experience compared to S and 3 drivers.

I used to be moderately displeased that the wipers didn’t work well with our very common “light” rain. I’d have to click the button in once to get a swipe. Eh, so what. I was honestly more upset Tesla didn’t spend the $3 on a rain sensor, which would have worked better than anything they built using the cameras and the neural net. But I always felt it was a minor quibble considering I otherwise drove a rocket ship with an amazing set of features.

Then I read about “Deep Rain” and my hope was renewed! I thought Andrej might have cracked it and we’d have a wiper system that met or exceeded performance of a rain sensor.

But I feel it’s substantially worse. Like a schizophrenic wiper system that goes batsh*t crazy with unnecessarily fast settings very often, but especially at speed more than 35 mph. And while, according to Elon, you can help train the system by clicking the button when it doesn’t wipe for rain (i.e., train it to wipe more often), there doesn’t seem to be a way to train the system to turn off its high-speed wiping.

For the first time since the auto wiper beta came out, I’ve now turned it off and returned to 1990s-style intermittent wiper settings.

Other PNW folks using the auto wiper beta having similar experiences? I’m running FW 40.2.1 on AP2/MCU1.

I've had the Auto Wipers off on Model X Raven (With HW3) since I got it because it was useless.

But since Deep rain release I have it on. I've only had one long session with it that used to be an absolute fail and it worked perfect.
That was in light rain at night. They used to sometimes be acceptable during daylight rain before the update.

Folks should state which Neural Net processor they have when commenting about a feature that heavily depends on Neural Net Processing ;) Not sure if it makes a difference but I suspect it might. Especially since this Deep Rain update came out after the first release that started taking advantage of HW3.

Reactions: scottf200
Deep Rain is not perfect but served me well on a 600 mile trip to Edinburgh and back through some of the heaviest and most prolonged rain this year. I was able to leave it enabled and be reasonably confident of its performance. The only time it failed as in not accelerating at a particularly hairy moment while overtaking a truck in a cloudburst...

Deep Rain is not perfect but served me well on a 600 mile trip to Edinburgh and back through some of the heaviest and most prolonged rain this year. I was able to leave it enabled and be reasonably confident of its performance. The only time it failed as in not accelerating at a particularly hairy moment while overtaking a truck in a cloudburst...

I think of Auto Wipers as an alternative to Intermittent wipers. So in heavy or Steady rain I have no qualms putting wipers on Constant Speed. I’ve done that with every car with Auto wipers and think that is the intent. Sometimes wipers need to just go as fast as they can and not have think about it.

Reactions: jboy210 and Cogarch
As someone who has had auto wipers on the last few cars I've had and used the auto setting almost exclusively, I am very disappointed in how the Tesla auto wipers work. I'm used to auto not being good in every situation (ie: the Seattle "mist" we get so often - never could get the speeds right), but I am not used to the auto setting not working well in any situation. This is the biggest problem at night it seems - they can never seem to get the speed right and unlike other cars, there's no adjusting the sensitivity yourself. Sure, I can turn on manual speeds, but with the kind of rain we get, I end up having to change it all the time.

As someone who has had auto wipers on the last few cars I've had and used the auto setting almost exclusively, I am very disappointed in how the Tesla auto wipers work. I'm used to auto not being good in every situation (ie: the Seattle "mist" we get so often - never could get the speeds right), but I am not used to the auto setting not working well in any situation. This is the biggest problem at night it seems - they can never seem to get the speed right and unlike other cars, there's no adjusting the sensitivity yourself. Sure, I can turn on manual speeds, but with the kind of rain we get, I end up having to change it all the time.

what firmware version you on?

Some ways I think it's better and in other ways I think the IA is worse. During the Seattle storm, I agree that it was going way too fast unnecessarily. But during misting it actually wiped early. Now my biggest qualm is that when I get in the car and before I can close the door it runs the wiper and water gets all over my side/shoulder! I think it should be smart enough to know the door hasn't closed yet before automatically running. All first world problems but hopefully of better Deep Rain improvements:)

Absolutely deeprain is a major regression in Seattle small-droplet-type rain. The old NN worked extremely well (IMHO), but deeprain fails to activate more often than it succeeds. I'm hoping the raining data they gather from manual overrides will fix this issue (soon!).