Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Navigation Update Required”, nav won’t work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my way back from a trip today, the navigation refused to work, stating an update was needed. I hotspotted the car to my phone to connect it to wifi. It never updated. I tried a main screen reboot, then both screen reboot, and even Power Off, wait 5 minutes and awaken. I had to manually figure out my superchargers, and that certainly wasn’t optimal.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• 3E50155B-AE19-413D-9AB6-9935949BEF12.jpeg
    3E50155B-AE19-413D-9AB6-9935949BEF12.jpeg
    630.4 KB · Views: 931
  • 72779587-84AA-4BCB-A162-5B93C2C9596E.jpeg
    72779587-84AA-4BCB-A162-5B93C2C9596E.jpeg
    777.4 KB · Views: 408
  • 9961CE7D-73E2-406B-8059-308F2058C2C2.jpeg
    9961CE7D-73E2-406B-8059-308F2058C2C2.jpeg
    795.1 KB · Views: 418
It says that the navigation maps are not loaded, like the ones you had are now missing. This may be some other issue with the storage. Use your phone and Google maps to navigate to the superchargers until fixed. Search for "Superchargers Near Me". I'd open up a service request on your phone. They will try pushing you an update.

Reactions: rsg123
So the following day after doing all the reboots the “navigation data update required” message disappeared and it was instead stuck on “navigation system is initializing”. The next day (this morning) everything was fine.

There’s a micro SD card in your MCU that holds the offline maps. It’s dying. It seems to be happening to more Model S at the moment, as those cards seem to have reached the end of their write cycles or so. It’s actually something you can replace yourself if you know how to take apart the dashboard, temporarily take out the MCU & have some knowledges with Linux & terminal commands. Tesla will bill you a few hundred dollars for the fix. Doing it yourself will cost you the price of the micro SD card and a few hours.

Source: Had this issue. Fixed it myself.

• Informative
Reactions: DerbyDave
There’s a micro SD card in your MCU that holds the offline maps. It’s dying. It seems to be happening to more Model S at the moment, as those cards seem to have reached the end of their write cycles or so. It’s actually something you can replace yourself if you know how to take apart the dashboard, temporarily take out the MCU & have some knowledges with Linux & terminal commands. Tesla will bill you a few hundred dollars for the fix. Doing it yourself will cost you the price of the micro SD card and a few hours.

Source: Had this issue. Fixed it myself.
Hmm interesting, is this separate from the eMMC repair?

I’d assume so, since the whole MCU unit is replaced. I’m not even sure if that SD is still in MCU2. Maybe someone else knows?
I don't think so. It is not included in the MCU specific 8gb card that is replaced. This is a standard SD card that is used just for the navigation. That card can be ejected from the MCU. There is even a slot to do so from the outside without disassembly of the MCU. The SD card was still in use in 2020 models, and I doubt there is a newer revision.

Would the navi SD card failure cause my main screen to sometimes be black when I get in the car and then eventually boot up and an error message on IC stating “center screen unavailable” for a few days?
That sound like maybe the MMC. The SD card is almost entirely offloaded Navigation files. Mostly only Navigation functions would be affected.

Rebooting just temporarily fixes this. Be assured: The micro SD card is dying. The problem will worsen over time, until your MCU will wake up with a black screen where the map used to be.
Could be, but a new thread from yesterday has others reporting the exact same thing so unless the timing is impeccable that the SD cards are all failing “simultaneously”, I’m hoping it is indeed the 2020.48.37.6 update.

Reactions: DerbyDave