Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Unable to Charge”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 Model S when charging at home from my wall chargers get this error “Unable to charge” however the car still charges, but it reduces the rate from 48 amps to 27 amps and usually only shows 23 amps. See picture. I have plugged the car into 3 separate wall chargers all give the same error. Tesla service also replicated the error.
Super charging is unaffected.
My mobile charger died 2 years ago and I have never replaced it, so no idea how it would act on a mobile charger.
Tesla wants $2500 to replace the 3rd gen onboard charger.
Could this just be one of the 50 amp fuses being blown?
Has anyone else experienced this that repaired the charger instead of replaced it?

Attachments

• 96A4B76D-A209-49C6-A47C-E0319539F4A8.jpeg
    96A4B76D-A209-49C6-A47C-E0319539F4A8.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 312
Reactions: dbldwn02
That video is gen 2. Gen 3 looks like this
16403759254761676159286676467359.jpg

2017 Model S.
I'm having the exact same problem. Tore into this to find out it's not the same as the video.

I'm sitting in the car right now trying to find out if there is even a 50amp fuse inside to replace. I have the fuse but I can't find a tear down video for gen 3. The only one I did find is a 3 phase which is different enough that I can't trust it. I didn't see any similar 50a fuses in it.

6 months out of warranty...this sucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: DerbyDave
2016 Model S when charging at home from my wall chargers get this error “Unable to charge” however the car still charges, but it reduces the rate from 48 amps to 27 amps and usually only shows 23 amps. See picture. I have plugged the car into 3 separate wall chargers all give the same error. Tesla service also replicated the error.
Super charging is unaffected.
My mobile charger died 2 years ago and I have never replaced it, so no idea how it would act on a mobile charger.
Tesla wants $2500 to replace the 3rd gen onboard charger.
Could this just be one of the 50 amp fuses being blown?
Has anyone else experienced this that repaired the charger instead of replaced it?
Wondering what you did to get it fixed? I'm debating just lowering charge rate to 20amps and saying screw it. Still charges fast enough at night and supercharging is unaffected.

I see used chargers on eBay for $500-1000 but who's to say those won't end up breaking soon as well. Or if they'll communicate with my car without some sort of Tesla software voodoo magic.

Last edited:
I put it back together. If it goes to total crap I'll just go get free electrons from the super charger down the road.
At that point I'll look at buying a used one for $500 and replacing it. I'm getting really good at removing the back seat and black cage around the charger!

I put it back together. If it goes to total crap I'll just go get free electrons from the super charger down the road.
At that point I'll look at buying a used one for $500 and replacing it. I'm getting really good at removing the back seat and black cage around the charger!
What ended up happening for you? I did what you did and let it charge at half speed. Now the whole thing is dead. Debating whether to risk it on ebay or not.

What ended up happening for you? I did what you did and let it charge at half speed. Now the whole thing is dead. Debating whether to risk it on ebay or not.

I replaced it myself. Has been working at full rate (48amps) for over a year. Supercharging was unaffected and still works great as well. Here's my entire post and instructions to DIY it.