Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

£100 deposit refund

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone managed to have their £100 deposit refunded and on what grounds ?
Yes.
Ordered a SR in September for December delivery, changed jobs in October and by then was no longer sure the range would be enough and wasn't convinced I liked the car enough anyway. Emailed to cancel and just requested my deposit was refunded under distance selling regs. Easy.

I succeeded in getting a refund of the £100 deposit as well. The first few responses they sent tried to stonewall: "the deposit is non-refundable". I persisted as follows (and in their subsequent response they agreed to process the refund):

Accepting returns and giving refunds: the law

Online, mail and phone order sales​

"You must offer a refund to customers if they’ve told you within 14 days of receiving their goods that they want to cancel."

To quote from your own order agreement:

"If you exercise this right to cancel, we will reimburse all payments received from you by using the same means of payment used when you made the payment."

Perhaps in other jurisdictions you can treat the order fee as non-refundable -- but not in the UK.

Has anyone managed to have their £100 deposit refunded and on what grounds ?
I have just read the Tesla order terms and conditions. The £100 refund right/obligation seems clear. However, this clause is a worry :
"If the Vehicle was registered, we reserve the right to claim liquidated damages in excess of the Order Fee reflect􏰁ing diminished value of the Vehicle."

At what stage in the process do they register the car? When would be the last chance to cancel before falling foul (or if you want to chicken out of the order, that would be fowl) of the above potential damages claim? There is the potential for all manner of changes in ones life during a six months order period.

I don't mean to be a misery, in fact I am quite upbeat about our roof surviving today's gales

I have just read the Tesla order terms and conditions. The £100 refund right/obligation seems clear. However, this clause is a worry :
"If the Vehicle was registered, we reserve the right to claim liquidated damages in excess of the Order Fee reflect􏰁ing diminished value of the Vehicle."

At what stage in the process do they register the car? When would be the last chance to cancel before falling foul (or if you want to chicken out of the order, that would be fowl) of the above potential damages claim? There is the potential for all manner of changes in ones life during a six months order period.

I don't mean to be a misery, in fact I am quite upbeat about our roof surviving today's gales
like the day you collect it. Day before max if they have any sense. It is a multistage process they can select and reserve a regnumber in advance to get the plates made but they do not have to actually submit the final registration until you walk through the door if they don't want to. They should at least wait until you pay

Reactions: Wattsisname
like the day you collect it. Day before max if they have any sense. It is a multistage process they can select and reserve a regnumber in advance to get the plates made but they do not have to actually submit the final registration until you walk through the door if they don't want to. They should at least wait until you pay
Thank you Jason71. So, penalty free cancellation ought to be available up to payment day.

I had a M3 on order before they came out, £1000, had to decide on selling my early spot in line or cancelling, I cancelled, I just called them up about it, they said no problem, credit was back on my card in under 48 hours.

Now got £100 down for an early spot on an S, but still no news :(

I had a M3 on order before they came out, £1000, had to decide on selling my early spot in line or cancelling, I cancelled, I just called them up about it, they said no problem, credit was back on my card in under 48 hours.

Same here, £1000 refunded early 2019 without issue.

Yes but that wasn't an order so is a different category. (I did it too ... it was a specifically refundable reservation. There was no order documentation and no specification for the car you were "reserving".)