Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

£1400 MCU2/HW3 upgrade - no 4G.....?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is where i am confused still though as another user had mcu2 upgrade done at Bristol, and they put his sim from his mcu1 into it, which only gives him 3g, even though the mcu2 itself has LTE compatibility.
The question here is, are we supposed to get 4g connectivity or compatibility with mcu2 upgrade? As i dont see any point if we are stuck with 3g sim cards as YT and Netflix wont work properly at all on 3g and the more wider issue is that 3g is being turned off in europe.
Can someone in the UK please confirm they have 4g connection after mcu2 upgrade?

Not sure what has gone on (or why) in Bristol, but it is confirmed in the first post on the Wiki post on this very forum - Wiki - FAQ: MCU2 Upgrades

Q; What happens if I've got 3G Now and I upgrade to MCU2?
A: You'll get 4G/LTE with MCU2

Also, TeslaTap confirm the same point here - MCU2 Upgrade and AM/FM/XM Radio Issues – TeslaTap

(They do qualify as cars from 2012- 2014 get LTE but pretty sure that would also include any 2015 cars still on 3G (like mine), as LTE came in from 2015.)

Hi

Last week I paid £1400 for the 'infotainment upgrade MCU2 - I somewhat expected to have 4G as part of this so that I had data connectivity matching that of the media upgrades (such as youtube, netflix etc). However whereas I used to pretty solidly have constant 3G before, I now have an almost solid LTE or occasional 3G. As a result, searching tunein or spotify frequently leads to an empty screen or spinning circle.

My Tesla originally was bought with the premium connectivity upgrade and AP1.

As part of the parts received on the invoice, I see:
MCU Intel HW3 Upgrade EU-AP
Rear View Camera HSD jumper
Antenna Bluetooth
SimCard 2G, 3G, M2M.

I also received a new touchscreen.

Seems odd that they do all that - MCU, Touchscreen, SIMcard but I don't get 4G.... What's worse is that I've gone from frequent 3G in my neighbourhood to LTE.

Additionally, I knew I would lose FM and AM but I don't seem to have any DAB either now. There is no 'radio' icon in the 'media' icons - although I can't actually remember if there was a 'radio' icon besides tunein before or not. Certainly if I search stations I get no DAB options at all.

Can anyone suggest if I could or do anything to try and get a better outcome? At the moment I am thinking of ringing the service centre and complaining that I have virtually no 3G and no DAB.... but not certain as to what I should have expected...

Thanks!
Hi, i got an question on MCU2 upgrade? My car is 2015 MS 75D EAP, i did MCU upgrade yesterday at London Park Royal,

What did it for me:
New Media screen uni
New full self driving computer

But they didn’t replace instrument cluster screen which is behind the wheel.

Is it correct?

What about you?

The instrument cluster screen was changed after 2014 builds to higher resolution/contrast, so you likely have the best screen it can be and perhaps saw those with 2014 or earlier vehicles having upgrades showing before/after effect.

My 2018 S is going in for MCU2 in a month's time as MCU1 falls out of warranty. Hoping that the upgrade price point doesn't suddenly drop!

Already have LTE with current 3 Network SIM, yet see a SIM listed in the estimate job items. Perhaps a switch for cost saving reasons.