Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

£500 SR+ M3 insurance hike?!?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Similar story to me. Cheapest quotes from end of last year (when I first considered a Tesla) were around £400 (Direct Line) - now mostly coming in at over £600, and vast majority well into the £1000s. Eventually got Admiral Multicar with the good lady’s Juke (£750 in total, £504 for the Tesla (M3LR) and £248 for hers). Tried Adrian Flux and just about everywhere I can think of but nowhere got close for the M3. Worryingly, at first, the 2 cheapest quotes both wanted me to fit a telemetry box - I’ve got nothing to hide but at 47 there was no way I was going down that route.
Same as us...cheapest insurance we’re telemetry box policies...for a person nearly 50 with no claims ever. Looked at the terms and it seemed to say you had to pay 100 quid to remove the box at the end of the policy too?!

By January, they can't offer renewal prices higher than an equivalent new customer quote due to regulation changes.

The cynic in me says, it'll be the new customer quotes that go up rather than simply the other way around. But either way, I imagine it may already be slowly influencing prices.

I genuinely am flabbergasted at the premium many people are quoted, My reaction to getting a renewal well over £1500 would cause palpitations.
I accept I'm old, but back in the early days of driving the cost of insurance never entered the equation - it was always affordable as was Road Tax - It was always the case 'If you could afford the car nothing else financially would put you off'

Over the years - perhaps its me just aging, but premiums have always been reasonable no matter what type of car I've had, The 911 hurt in the VED department -£550 per annum but insurance was very reasonable.
Prior to the M3P I had the Focus Mk3 RS - my premium for 2020-2021 was a few pence over £220 - The M3P - with three months of my insurance to run before renewal was an additional £28 with LV and they also informed me a full year if renewed on the date i collected the M3P would have been £333.

My insurance runs out 29th June so in a few days I will be able to log into Confused.com and seek a quote - max days in advance of renewal is 30 days - so I amended my stored details and set the renewal date to the 25th June to see what the quotes are now - LV have quoted £271 and they include cover for running out of charge and vehicle taken to the nearest charge point - I didn't know something like this existed but i wonder if it would count as a claim If you used it?

Obviously I'm delighted at the quote and clearly there are benefits for being old.

Agree with @Irata - the changes in the law that come into effect in January 2022 is likely to see new customers not being offered better deals than existing customers renewing - though experience confirms If you get a quote online and your current insurer quotes a higher price for renewal a quick phone call to them will see them price match the online quote.

By January, they can't offer renewal prices higher than an equivalent new customer quote due to regulation changes.

The cynic in me says, it'll be the new customer quotes that go up rather than simply the other way around. But either way, I imagine it may already be slowly influencing prices.
Yep - I think we’ll see it start to go up in next few weeks if not already - bit of a pointless regulation - if your too lazy to spend a few minutes checking once a year then that’s on you! It’s not like it’s an unknown thing to check each year! Now I fear all our prices will go up!

If you think it's bad now just wait for the insurers to find out about the integrated battery coming in the new ones soon. Pretty much every crash will be a write off.
Thats something i've been wondering about for some time, all the sites I've come across are so excited for these integrated batteries and they are going to be the next big thing etc etc.

But yeah, for 1, they are surely going to be more expensive and quicker to write off and for 2, there is going to be even less chance of changing the batteries out one day than there is now!