Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

£700 off FSD through the app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The UK still does not warrant it in my opinion as we can’t even use smart summon but I saw this in my app today.

18A93679-764F-4805-BAAD-93CFAA3C44B6.jpeg

Reactions: CMc1
still way overpriced and not fit for purpose. watched this guys videos I think he is a secret member on here. he must have now so many incidents now with bent wheels and tyres. probably half the cost of the FSD :D Not convinced at all

If you don't already have HW3, thats almost worth it for the upgrade. I think HW2/2.5 will soon be left behind.

But its essentially the same price as the last FSD 'sale', so not really a discount. Don't forget people with EAP have already paid some thing like £4.5k for the option at time of order, so even at a 'discount' its nearly £7k all in for 'FSD'.

If you do commit to FSD computer on an older car you will also likely to want the MCU 2 retrofit, so maybe a near £5k spend some 3 years after buying the car.

I think its fab Tesla offer retrofits/software activations, I know the traditional arguments against car manufacturers is they rather sell you a brand new car, but there is guarantee your current customer will buy one of your brand new cars.

I paid £4900 in the last FSD 'sale',£550 for the CCS retrofit, £250 for HEPA filter, and will likely get the £2.5k MCU2 upgrade. So thats £8200 I've given to Tesla AFTER taking delivery of our car. I bet most car manufacturers would struggle to hit £8k profit margin on a brand new car let alone a used one.....especially after dealership margains are taken into account!!

Tesla do lots of things wrong, but I do like the way they are reshaping the whole industry.

Incidentally I doubt our next new car will be a Tesla, more likely a Taycan, but if Tesla offers an battery upgrade to our X in 2025 for say £20k, it might be enough to tempt me to stay with the X and not bother getting another EV from another brand. So by supporting existing owners Tesla is realising an entire income stream no one else in the automotive industry has ever thought of, let alone has access too!!

Elon has to be one of the best con men on the planet, his rewriting the rules of the entire automotive industry without even spending a penny on paid adverts or marketing campaign!!

Has anyone bought this yet and confirmed what you do ACTUALLY get? I have a 2017 S with EAP and I'm thinking if this is £2200 for new hardware (Sentry mode? New Visualisations? Netflix? Careoke?) then it might be worth it, but if they are just selling you the promise of it then not worth it.

Any real world experience yet?

This is not a MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade. Its AP2.x to AP3, although certainly in US AP2 iirc is/was lagging a bit behind as there is more work involved.

The visualisations and recent/upcoming changes in AP and future FSD will likely all be HW3. Almost certainly, the majority of AP and EAP/FSD improvements will be based around HW3. So HW2/2.5 will largely stagnate imho.

Sentry, Netflix, Careoke are all part of the MCU. I think, when that upgrade comes, it will be another extra, currently $2500 Tesla Offers $2,500 Infotainment Upgrade

Not a cheap pair of upgrades, but cheaper than possibly swapping car.

Has anyone bought this yet and confirmed what you do ACTUALLY get? I have a 2017 S with EAP and I'm thinking if this is £2200 for new hardware (Sentry mode? New Visualisations? Netflix? Careoke?) then it might be worth it, but if they are just selling you the promise of it then not worth it.

Any real world experience yet?

US upgrades are in full flow now, and Europe will follow soon.

AP3 (so just FSD) with MCU1 gets you traffic light visualisation on the main dash but no cones (or anything new), you get sentry mode but not theater or any other new updates (like showing side camers when the rear camera is on).

The additional £2500 MCU2 upgrade will get you the newer features like theater/careoke.

MCU 1 failure will be one of the biggest out of warranty costs for the S/X, extended warranty is currently £3300 for 4 years, so £2500 for a new MCU2 isn't bad pricing if you want some man maths...

still way overpriced and not fit for purpose. watched this guys videos I think he is a secret member on here. he must have now so many incidents now with bent wheels and tyres. probably half the cost of the FSD :D Not convinced at all

Obviously, driving in messy UK cities like Oxford is using the system way beyond its intended design parameters - but that's the point isn't it? It demonstrates that the "F" in FSD might be better designating Fantasy than Full.

Frankly, I wish I could disable all the associated warning and avoidance features that come with the basic AP. I'm tired of the car screaming out when it gets confused with many UK country and city road lane markings. And for some reason my car refuses to let me permanently set forward collision avoidance to off - it keeps resetting to "medium". The tech is interesting but it's not for for purpose yet.

If it just worked reliably on highways I might be tempted to buy it, but even there it's still way too temperamental and fails to deal with much beyond basic lane following and traffic aware cruise control.

I really don't see the value proposition in FSD right now. I wouldn't be surprised if another generation of hardware is needed before it can go beyond the novelty stage.

Last edited:
It demonstrates that the "F" in FSD might be better designating Fantasy than Full.

FSD has always been clearly stated that it is an evolving product so it is unsurprising that it doesn't do everything now. You buy into it for the features it has now (basically $5k worth of EAP) and what it is promising (the $3k [and counting] FSD, £2200 current UK EAP to FSD upgrade price).

Its like buying tickets for a future event, until that future event occurs, you do not realise the benefits. You don't hear people constantly moaning that they just paid £6k to a travel agent but don't have their holiday yet. But that seems to be what people do with FSD.

For most that have bought FSD, we probably enjoy the journey as much as the destination. Very rare to have a holiday where you get to enjoy parts of it before getting to the final destination. Likewise equally rare to book a holiday so far in advance.

The current sales blurb. An evolving set, and far less featured now than when many of us signed up.
upload_2020-6-27_11-48-57.png

You could argue that Full is anywhere between SAE (autonomy) level 3 and level 5. I personally think Level 4 is a good place to aim (robotaxi promise) and will be achievable over time with what Tesla have to work with. Shorter term (several years), level 3 will give most benefit and will probably start appearing across many different manufacturers vehicles in medium term.

j3016-levels-of-automation-image.png

Last edited:
£2,200 for nothing. Have EAP and it does everything FSD does at the moment excep stop lights and frankly the software whilst good still freaks out for me on motorway driving no way I’ll be trusting it on busy A and B roads anytime soon.
Maybe when I replace my X for a Y or truck but I don’t see the point at the moment. Also considering I spent £5k for EAP I ain’t paying any more.

I really don't see the value proposition in FSD right now. I wouldn't be surprised if another generation of hardware is needed before it can go beyond the novelty stage.

The 'value' of FSD for us S/X owners without AP3 hardware is just that the AP3 hardware. Regardless of what future software changes come it will require the latest hardware.

Doing the AP3 and MCU2 upgrade together essentially brings a 2016 AP2.0 car bang up to date interms of infotainment and AP hardware.

How many other manufacturers offers this option for their cars made in 2016? Its essentially the same as BMW offering to officially retrofit the latest iDrive system into a old 2016 car.

If you think its worth doing is a different question, and depends on how much £2k matters to your finances.

Even when paired with MCU2 update, £4.5k is still cheaper than swapping to a brand new car.

Out of curiosity I worked out how much it would cost me to swap into a brand new 6 seater X, £45k, without FSD on the new car and assuming I achieve near 70% residuals on the used car at point of sale. In comparison AP3 + MCU2 retrofit is cheap!!

Especially considering the only major change between my car and new one is MCU2+AP3 with about 70 miles more real life range, yes we all like range but not at a cost of £45k for 70 miles.

Last edited: