TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

​Tesla Model S P85D: The Jalopnik Review

Discussion in 'News' started by DavidB, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Wow, what a glowing review. Jalopnik has really come around!

:biggrin:

2. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

Please inform your spleen.

3. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

Jalopnik's highest reviewed cars ratings for reference.

Porsche 918 - 91
    McLaren MP4-12C Spider - 87
    McLaren MP4-12C - 85
    Porsche 911 Turbo S - 85

4. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

Indeed. In the comments, somebody actually accuses Jalopnik of being "Tesla-happy"! (link)

- - - Updated - - -

I saw that comment too, but I think he's saying those are the highest ratings he personally has given out, which may not be the highest for Jalopnik overall.

5. mdevp

mdevp Member

Didn't the I8 get the highest from Jalopnik.

6. dauger

dauger Member

My favorite Jalopnik quote: "The Model S is unlike anything I've ever driven and the performance is like nothing else I've ever felt. Not just the speed, but the odd combination of tranquility and violence that really has to be experienced to be understood."

When a stranger asks how I like my Tesla, I say "I love it" then attempt to describe the above; next time maybe I'll have to take that quote.

7. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

What stands out to me most is the comments on the improvement in assembly quality and handling refinement over the cars produced in 2012.

This kind of rapid iterative improvement is unheard of in an industry where car models typically undergo only minor changes in the 3rd year of their generation cycle.

8. Spidy

Spidy Member

It happens all the time, it's just that large manufacurers have a pre-series with hundrets of cars, which the average customer will never end up with.

9. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I read the article and thought that the writer was fair, balanced and darn right impressed that the Model S 85D was way above what they expected.

10. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

I read the review by Jalopnik and was both amused and impressed with his reporting style. I feel his review is very fair. Especially how he likes the S's ass and is not overly impressed with the front bezel/grill. I would like to read more of his reviews and will look for them as time allows. thanks for pointing this review out.

11. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Yes, I found this review to be surprisingly balanced, given the reputation of Jalopnik on this forum. Giddy and excited where it was warranted, yet still critical of what he felt could be improved. For example, even when expressing his dislike for the nose design, he still mentioned the 0.24Cd (and name-dropped Franz).

What I found particularly impressive about this review was that when he eventually balked at the price, something that plagues Model S reviews as much as the obligatory reference to "range anxiety", he then went on to compare Model S to its direct competition in that regard. Upon which it suddenly didn't seem so way-out.

12. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

13. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

This was my first experience with this source. Does the reviewer always write his own jingles and have a Gollum-esque internal dialogue?

14. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

I hadn't come across him before but he is quite a character. I listened to a few of his other reviews and they seem to follow the same style. I think he's a frustrated English major/ comedian.