Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

‘14 P85D Buying Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, new to the forum and soon to be a new Tesla owner. I’ve had my eye a P85D with 35k miles at a local luxury car dealership for the last few weeks. Test drove and everything looks good - one owner, only 1 mileage of battery degradation, 11 months left on battery/drive warranty (12/14 production date, 1/15 first use date). The price dropped a bit and I placed a deposit for pick up in a couple days. Super excited but wanted to see what people thought about the age. All comments welcome.

I lived in Palo Alto for years and always like the performance MS and figured now was a good time to go for it. Now I’m in NYC suburbs so the AWD is a must.

Thanks!

Hi All, new to the forum and soon to be a new Tesla owner. I’ve had my eye a P85D with 35k miles at a local luxury car dealership for the last few weeks. Test drove and everything looks good - one owner, only 1 mileage of battery degradation, 11 months left on battery/drive warranty (12/14 production date, 1/15 first use date). The price dropped a bit and I placed a deposit for pick up in a couple days. Super excited but wanted to see what people thought about the age. All comments welcome.

I lived in Palo Alto for years and always like the performance MS and figured now was a good time to go for it. Now I’m in NYC suburbs so the AWD is a must.

Thanks!
Make sure Tesla didn’t cripple your supercharging speeds.

Otherwise it will be relegated to a city-only car. No road trips.

Search for batterygate and chargegate on these forums.

Chargegate sucks, but rendering my P85D to a city-only car is a bit much. I still road trip in it. What used to take 30mins from low SoC to 80+% now takes much longer, but nothing crazy. Grabbing food helps soften the blow/wait time.
Congrats, OP on picking up what appears to be a seldomly-driven beast.

Chargegate sucks, but rendering my P85D to a city-only car is a bit much. I still road trip in it. What used to take 30mins from low SoC to 80+% now takes much longer, but nothing crazy. Grabbing food helps soften the blow/wait time.
Congrats, OP on picking up what appears to be a seldomly-driven beast.
Thanks for the information. About how much longer does the charge take compared to the original 30min?

I was unaware of the throttling when charging so thanks for the heads up. The free supercharging with this model year was going to be a plus but could be a bit of a hinderance.

Also, any thoughts as to where pricing should be on this vehicle? The deposit is refundable so I have today to make the decision and pick up the car tomorrow. I am still excited about the car and will ad a wall charger at home. For about the same price, I could purchase an '18 Model 3 AWD, but I really prefer the Model S looks and smoothness of the drive of this particular MS. Thanks again for all of the insight.

Thanks for the information. About how much longer does the charge take compared to the original 30min?
Some various data points from past SuC logs I kept. I certainly have not had the same issues as @glide . If starting with a very low SoC, I have seen 128kW for the first couple mins on a V3 station.

Data point 1: SoC % 13 to 71 in 42mins and kW from 127 to 37 at end

Data point 2: SoC % 43 to 85 in 39 mins and kW from 66 to 27 at end from an Urban SuC

Data point 3: SoC % 39 to 90 in 56 mins and kW from 78 to 16 at end

Data point 4: SoC % 6 to 21 in 6 mins and kW from 128 to 84 at end from a new V3 SuC

Don’t recall exact details, but in general, the SuC stations I use aren’t usually busy so no sharing of stalls, etc.

As you can see, times did go up, but nothing over an hour for me. Also remember that speed drops off immensely when trying to get that last 10-20% regardless of car/chargegate, etc.
V3 stations are indeed nice. Liquid cooled thin cables much more manageable and gave me the highest ever starting charge rate, if only for a couple mins.

Some various data points from past SuC logs I kept. I certainly have not had the same issues as @glide . If starting with a very low SoC, I have seen 128kW for the first couple mins on a V3 station.

Data point 1: SoC % 13 to 71 in 42mins and kW from 127 to 37 at end

Data point 2: SoC % 43 to 85 in 39 mins and kW from 66 to 27 at end from an Urban SuC

Data point 3: SoC % 39 to 90 in 56 mins and kW from 78 to 16 at end

Data point 4: SoC % 6 to 21 in 6 mins and kW from 128 to 84 at end from a new V3 SuC

Don’t recall exact details, but in general, the SuC stations I use aren’t usually busy so no sharing of stalls, etc.

As you can see, times did go up, but nothing over an hour for me. Also remember that speed drops off immensely when trying to get that last 10-20% regardless of car/chargegate, etc.
V3 stations are indeed nice. Liquid cooled thin cables much more manageable and gave me the highest ever starting charge rate, if only for a couple mins.
This is really great information. Thanks so much for taking the time. Based on all of the reading I've done online, it seems like batterygate has been mostly resolved and chargegate can be hit or miss depending on the car. I was ready to pull the plug (pun intended) after the increase to hours long note above, but with this info and some of the battery charge testing the deanship has done, I'm most likely joining the Model S club soon. Thanks again.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Also, any thoughts as to where pricing should be on this vehicle? The deposit is refundable so I have today to make the decision and pick up the car tomorrow. I am still excited about the car and will ad a wall charger at home. For about the same price, I could purchase an '18 Model 3 AWD, but I really prefer the Model S looks and smoothness of the drive of this particular MS. Thanks again for all of the insight.
Given the high demand for Tesla’s right now, and the cool factor of the P85D, which I own, I’m guessing the price from a luxury dealer is somewhere around $55k. How much is it? Also, does it have the MCU2 upgrade? Sunroof? If so, I’d open and close it as many time as they’d let you to make sure the motor is good, and see if they’ll let you hose it down to make sure it doesn’t leak.

I would take a look at the battery label (inside passenger front tire well)… one mile of degradation means it has a relatively new battery, or there is some funny business going on.
I bought mine used from Tesla, and was shocked when I got it that the range (for a P85D) was almost 300 miles. Then I found out that there are different modes in the settings- rated range vs ideal range. I think it was on ideal range, and once I changed it to rated range, it was much more accurate. So, make sure it's set to rated range.

I am also new on here and thinking of purchasing a 2014 P85D. while test driving I noticed that there was not an option for ludicrous or insane mode? It is a P85D but appears to be missing one of those driving modes. From what I have read it sounds like the did a software update at some point and removed insane? can this be restored?

I am also new on here and thinking of purchasing a 2014 P85D. while test driving I noticed that there was not an option for ludicrous or insane mode? It is a P85D but appears to be missing one of those driving modes. From what I have read it sounds like the did a software update at some point and removed insane? can this be restored?
If there is no insane mode, then it's not a P model. There was a software update at some point that created insane+ mode, which I forget what it was called before.

Also the 2014 model came from the factory with a 3G cellular modem and 3G was just phased out. If it hasn't been upgraded, you'd probably want to upgrade the MCU to version 2 which includes LTE as well as other goodies.

Test drove and everything looks good - one owner, only 1 mileage of battery degradation
I know this is an old thread, but responding in case others find this in their own searching.

Older model S cars have a range display setting called “ideal” that inflates the displayed range well beyond the EPA rating. It’s a fantasy number that should never be used for anything.

Unfortunately a lot of unscrupulous dealers and sellers have found this setting and enable it to artificially inflate a car’s displayed range and hide battery degradation.

There is no such thing as a 2014 Model S with only one mile of degradation from new. If the displayed range looks too good to be true, it is.

Reactions: gaswalla