Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

‘17 “CPO” Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In January 2021 we completed the purchase of our ‘17 Model S 100D with 46,449 miles from Tesla’s “CPO” program. We paid a total of $52,000, plus a $1k delivery fee from CA to TX. Options included -

Deep Blue Metallic color​
19” Wheels​
Ultra White Premium Seats​
Dark Ash Wood​
Smart Air Suspension​
Ultra High Fidelity Sound​
Subzero Package​
Premium Package​
Full Self-Driving​

Delivery was set a few weeks later to allow transportation to do its job. That said there were several problems upon pick-up. The rear bumper had a 1/2” hole, multiple scratches, left rear fender was damaged in shipping, Passenger rear seat leather was torn…it wasn’t the best presentation of Tesla. Pair that with their staff outright lying during the course of delivery (they said it was ready to go with no issues, while the tech was replacing the left rear window regulator at the same time the delivery person was telling us everything was peachy). Tesla made all repairs, but it took them 3x attempts to get it right. To compensate us we were provided $500 which we put into an MCU upgrade, paying the difference in cash.

Rated Range for the ‘17 100D was 335 miles, and at delivery we had a 100% SOC rated range of 321.

Since delivery we’ve done the following -

Level 2 home charger w/ install ($800)​
Windows tinted with Formula One Stratos ($1,186)​
21” Turbine Wheels (refinished by AWS) & new Tires (Crypto cash out, free!!)​
Annual Service ($368)​
Ceramic Coating exterior ($1000)​
Ceramic Coated all leather surfaces ($150, did it myself)​
1x Windshield chip repair ($55)​
Floor Mats replaced ($150)​
12V Battery replaced w/ Ohmmu (precautionary, $420)​
Bio/HEPA filter replaced (“while yer in there doing the battery”)​
N2uitive Adjustable links and Camber/Toe kit to eliminate shudder ($1300, plus install)​

Today we have 71,686 miles on the Model S. We’ve made a total of 40 supercharging stops while completing 2x cross country drives (TX to CA & TX to CO). Rated range today at 100% charge is 300 miles, with a TezLab suggesting that 87.3kw remains of the 103kw battery. Average wh/Mi, based on TezLab, is 376 lifetime. Our home charging costs .047 per kw/hr making operating costs at ~.03/mi in the 21k miles covered over 15 months, not including the above costs.

The seats are holding up amazingly well to the 2x kids (8 and 5)! The drivers seat has only a small hint of blue jean transfer, and the booster seat for my 8 year old has a weird black smudge which wipes up. Door handles present with no issues and all DRL LEDs work as expected.

Would I recommend a “CPO” Tesla to someone else; yes. Just make sure you know the Tesla standards prior to delivery and hold Tesla accountable to them.

What would I change on the Model S now…two-piece rotors to offset the weight gained by changing the 19s to 21s. Repaint the front bumper at some point as its showing 71k miles of use. Also the front condenser is showing a lot of road debris damages, plus the bumper looks to be retaining a lot of leafs and such. Lastly, I’d like to find a way to disable the rear hatch beep when closing as it is annoying and could wake the dead!

The car is entirely out of warranty, other than the 8 year battery/drive unit. We have a “rainy day” fund for the just in case, but haven’t a reason to believe that anything is imminently going to fail anytime soon.

Great purchase, and very much completed at the right time!!

Tesla doesn't have a CPO program. They stopped that in about 2015. Now, they don't certify or inspect anything - that's on you. It's just a used car that was traded in, and you buy it through them.

Nothing wrong with that necessarily, but when Lexus or BMW or others sell you a "CPO" car, they've gone through it, replaced any worn components, and extend your factory warranty by a decent margin...for Lexus, 2 years, unlimited miles. For example, what you described below would never be acceptable in an actual CPO program:

The rear bumper had a 1/2” hole, multiple scratches, left rear fender was damaged in shipping, Passenger rear seat leather was torn…it wasn’t the best presentation of Tesla.

Tesla doesn't even wash their used cars. The warranty is extended by only 1 year and 10k miles. Nothing is inspected or repaired prior to delivery.

I'm not saying to avoid buying used through Tesla.....I bought my P90D used through Tesla and had a positive overall experience, and love the car. I plan on keeping it until every last cell is dead.

But for those used to buying true CPO's, it's important to call out Tesla's selling process is that of a used car, not certified pre owned.

They stopped that in about 2015.

Actually closer to 2018 but your point is still valid. When you buy a car from Tesla now, you are effectively getting a used car but they do clean them and will fix/recondition certain things. Their used car warranty (prior to 2020) used to be a standout feature. It's still pretty good now (1 year / 10k miles) but nowhere near as good as it was.

I bought my first Tesla (a 2015 85D) through their used program in 2019 and the car looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor but I've also heard stories of cars arriving dirty with trash in them. I would absolutely buy a used Tesla from them again.

--

To the OP, the battery charging to 300 miles @ 100% means about a 10% loss which sounds about right for 70k miles (maybe a little higher than average). Do you normally charge to 100% or do you daily charge to 80% or 90%?

Reactions: drdumont
Tesla doesn't have a CPO program. They stopped that in about 2015. Now, they don't certify or inspect anything - that's on you. It's just a used car that was traded in, and you buy it through them.

Tesla doesn't even wash their used cars. The warranty is extended by only 1 year and 10k miles. Nothing is inspected or repaired prior to delivery.

Tesla does inspect a great deal and has an “internal only - comprehensive standards guide”. 13 pages of inspections with mine signed off by Aaron Sanchez in the Costa Mesa SC on 03-DEC-20. Specific to my purchase his inspection found -

LED Headlight DRLs were out - replaced with updated part​
Tires measured 2-3mm - replaced with new​
LR tire had “large chip” - replaced wheel​
All windows tinted - removed​

This document also provides the guidelines for what Tesla will replace/repair/take no action on.

As the thread title states “CPO”…with the quotes. A used Tesla purchased through Tesla isn’t held to the same standard as Audi or Lexus, but they do make an effort to provide the customer a quality product. And yes, the car was washed.

@dannycamps it varies. Generally between 80-90% with the quarterly 100% charge and I’d estimate that the battery degradation is 12%.

CE777729-CBD6-410C-9F15-81760B723823.jpeg

DA7E9D16-BFE2-4C14-84F0-FE40AE2502F3.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: drdumont
Tesla does inspect a great deal and has an “internal only - comprehensive standards guide”. 13 pages of inspections with mine signed off by Aaron Sanchez in the Costa Mesa SC on 03-DEC-20. Specific to my purchase his inspection found -

LED Headlight DRLs were out - replaced with updated part​
Tires measured 2-3mm - replaced with new​
LR tire had “large chip” - replaced wheel​
All windows tinted - removed​

This document also provides the guidelines for what Tesla will replace/repair/take no action on.

As the thread title states “CPO”…with the quotes. A used Tesla purchased through Tesla isn’t held to the same standard as Audi or Lexus, but they do make an effort to provide the customer a quality product. And yes, the car was washed.

@dannycamps it varies. Generally between 80-90% with the quarterly 100% charge and I’d estimate that the battery degradation is 12%.

I wonder if this is a new process. I definitely didn't get this when I purchased my 2016.5 P90D in 2019. They just handed me the keys, and sent me on my way. There was no documentation related to its condition, I was explicitly told that I needed to do my own assessment of it before I signed the paperwork. I had to immediately set a service appointment for some items that would have been covered by this list you showed.

Reactions: jpk195
I wonder if this is a new process. I definitely didn't get this when I purchased my 2016.5 P90D in 2019. They just handed me the keys, and sent me on my way. There was no documentation related to its condition, I was explicitly told that I needed to do my own assessment of it before I signed the paperwork. I had to immediately set a service appointment for some items that would have been covered by this list you showed.

This one is dated as of 28-AUG-20 and revision 11…I’d wager that Tesla is continuing to refine just like any other business with it being revision 11.

Overall, I’d purchase through their “CPO“/Used program again once prices settle down.

This one is dated as of 28-AUG-20 and revision 11…I’d wager that Tesla is continuing to refine just like any other business with it being revision 11.

Overall, I’d purchase through their “CPO“/Used program again once prices settle down.

I guess my service center just skipped that step. I definitely didn't get any of this documentation - they just unloaded the car from a transport truck and sold it to me as is. Good to know that there's at least some form being more widely used now.

I agree though, I have MASSIVELY benefited from having the previous used warranty in place. I would definitely buy used again, and this clears up most of my complaints about the old process.

I'm new, and hadn't heard about the quarterly 100% charge concept. It makes some intuitive sense to occasionally "stretch them out" without wearing them out. What else should I know?
The longest stretch between charges was Amarillo to the supercharger in Henrietta; we left at about 90% charge and arrived at 3% covering 245 miles at highway speeds. Full trunks and family of four!

I tend to run the battery down to ~15-20% before charging routinely, lower the better. Ideally I want it to sit overnight at the lowest SOC possible, but the work calendar prohibits this. I set the charge to 80-90% and drive normally.

Then once a QTR, go as low as I can, let it sit overnight, then charge to 100%. That’s the intention, but often circumstances modify that somewhat. I do agree that as the battery ages, trying to avoid supercharging makes sense. I do love me a good road trip though!

I guess my service center just skipped that step. I definitely didn't get any of this documentation - they just unloaded the car from a transport truck and sold it to me as is. Good to know that there's at least some form being more widely used now.

I agree though, I have MASSIVELY benefited from having the previous used warranty in place. I would definitely buy used again, and this clears up most of my complaints about the old process.
As I said, the customer needs to know the standards to hold Tesla accountable to them. Otherwise Tesla WILL cut the corner. Whats that quote of doing the hard right over the easy wrong…seems to fit here.

Hope your experience has improved!