Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

‘22 MYP charging rate way off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

1plavs

‘22 MYP, White/Black
Mar 29, 2021
MKE

6-20 Nema garage outlet. Supposed to be charging at 14-15 miles per hour, but it’s charging at 5 miles per hour.

I just picked up the ‘22 MYP today and this is the very first time charging at home.

The reason I ask is I’m coming from a ‘21 MY LR and it took a lot less time.

At 28% I have 86 miles left. 15 miles per hour @ 16 hours = 240 miles. 240 + 86 = 326 miles

That can’t be right @ 80%? It’s charging 4 1/2 hours longer than it should.

Last edited:
What happened to your 2021 LRMY, did you wife steal it from you?

The Tesla Model Y charging algorithm will continuously update the time needed to complete charging. The Tesla charging screen in the screen shot showing 4kW +1kWh 16A/16A and 238V means everything is as it should be for charging using the 20A 240V circuit. The Tesla is charging at 16A out of 16A maximum for the circuit.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

6-20 Nema garage outlet. Supposed to be charging at 14-15 miles per hour, but it’s charging at 5 miles per hour.

I just picked up the ‘22 MYP today and this is the very first time charging at home.

The reason I ask is I’m coming from a ‘21 MY LR and it took a lot less time.

At 28% I have 86 miles left. 15 miles per hour @ 16 hours = 240 miles. 240 + 86 = 326 miles

That can’t be right @ 80%? It’s charging 4 1/2 hours longer than it should.
At 3.5 KW (what your battery is getting) it would take 22 hours to go from 0% SOC to 100% SOC, you are going from 28% to 80%, so your amount charged is 52%... 52% of 22 hours is about 11.5 hours, but your car's estimate is a bit over 16 hours... I suspect that the cars estimate is off rather than the actual charging speed being a problem... the only other possibility I see is you have an unheated garage in sub zero temperatures.

Keith

<edit> looks like you reset it and it was a "computer confused" problem... glad it is resolved, enjoy the MYP :) </edit>

I’ll keep an eye
At 3.5 KW (what your battery is getting) it would take 22 hours to go from 0% SOC to 100% SOC, you are going from 28% to 80%, so your amount charged is 52%... 52% of 22 hours is about 11.5 hours, but your car's estimate is a bit over 16 hours... I suspect that the cars estimate is off rather than the actual charging speed being a problem... the only other possibility I see is you have an unheated garage in sub zero temperatures.

Keith

<edit> looks like you reset it and it was a "computer confused" problem... glad it is resolved, enjoy the MYP :) </edit>

I’ll keep an eye on it!