Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

‘23 Refresh Plaid frunk doesn’t fully open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my ‘23 Plaid the frunk unlatches when I first hit the button (in app/in car/on fob) but if I don’t open the front right away, it relatches(but slightly open) and I can’t open it.

This effectively makes opening it from in the car pointless unless someone else is standing there. It isn’t supposed to work this way is it?

My 2020 works this way. When you open the frunk, it pops and the secondary latch is also opened, so you can lift the frunk up. If you leave it poped and do not open it within about 5 minutes, the secondary latch will engage and lock the frunk in the popped position. You must stick your hand under the popped frunk and manually release the secondary latch. There are youtube videos on this.

I honestly can't remember how my 2018 S worked even though I just got rid of it (that shows you how often I used the frunk).

What you describe isn't how my 2023 is working. If I pop the frunk from the car, by the time I get to the front, the frunk won't open and I have to repop it from the app/fob. Is that normal?

And I can't find the manual latch or videos on it.

No, that is not normal. On mine you can reach down the latch hole and push the rounded secondary latch left, while at the same time pressing down on the hood. The latch is u shaped on mine, so you need to squish your hand some to push the lock left and allow the frunk piece to clear the secondary lock.

Yeah I think mine is just not adjusted properly.

It never fully unlatches on the first release regardless of how I activate the frunk.

I have to hit the button a second time.

Also there is no manual/secondary latch on my ‘23.
Were you able to get this resolved?

I have the same issue, where I pop the frunk and the frunk doesn't want to open. Mine is a 09/23 build MSP.

Were you able to get this resolved?

I have the same issue, where I pop the frunk and the frunk doesn't want to open. Mine is a 09/23 build MSP.
I had this same problem on my 2022 when I got it last year. My friend @jebinc used a little bit of lithium grease on the latch and it hasn't failed since. If you're ever over in West Seattle I'll assist you if you need help!

Reactions: ViPaDawG and jebinc
I had this same problem on my 2022 when I got it last year. My friend @jebinc used a little bit of lithium grease on the latch and it hasn't failed since. If you're ever over in West Seattle I'll assist you if you need help!
I got some lithium grease and greased up the latch nicely, but while it worked the first couple times I popped it, this morning it got stuck again. Seems like it's the secondary latch that doesn't want to let go.

Just for reference, did you spray the latch (the part on the hood), or did you spray down into the opening where the mechanism is? Saw a YT video that had someone spray the mechanism, but didn't want to spray there in case Tesla SC raised a stink about it down the line.

I got some lithium grease and greased up the latch nicely, but while it worked the first couple times I popped it, this morning it got stuck again. Seems like it's the secondary latch that doesn't want to let go.

Just for reference, did you spray the latch (the part on the hood), or did you spray down into the opening where the mechanism is? Saw a YT video that had someone spray the mechanism, but didn't want to spray there in case Tesla SC raised a stink about it down the line.
I don’t recall 100%, (maybe @jebinc does because he did it for me in seconds). I feel like it was just the hood latch but… @jebinc?

Thanks! I'll keep my appointment for Friday and let Tesla fix it I guess. It's definitely the second latch as it sounds pretty awful when I have to yank it up right as it's unlatching. It's almost like it's catching on something.
That doesn't sound right. Ironically, I hit my latch button today in the car for the frunk, and it only popped the first latch. Had to hit it again for the second. I hadn't used it in a long time, so it's probably tight (and it's quite cold at the moment). Looking at the latch, @jebinc definitely only lubricated the hood part U bracket, as I can see the goop on it. But if yours sounds really bad... well, that might be something more involved.

Good luck!

Reactions: jebinc
Dropped it off today and they need to keep it over the weekend.

While there, happened across another person who had the same issue. Weirdly enough, he was picking it up after bringing it in for the same issue a second time.

A tech came out and fixed his issue, but doesn't feel great that he had to bring it in twice for an issue I'm also having. Hope they can fix it.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc