TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

‘Follow Me’ mode would be cool

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by xpitxbullx, Sep 4, 2018.

1. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

Have you ever been out for a drink and and had to drive a friend home because they drank too much? Of course, you leave their car at the bar for the night and drive them home in your car. If Tesla created a feature where the car could closely follow the vehicle in front of it (including turns), you could hop into their car and have the Tesla follow you to their house where you drop off your friend AND their car. Then jump in your car and take off. I’m sure there would be other situations where a feature like that would be useful.

Just a crazy thought I had. Thought I’d share. o_O

2. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Once FSD is available you can just put your buddy in the trunk and have the car drive him home.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 2
  3. UncaNed

UncaNed Member

Great Idea! Also make it platoon for better mileage, which will probably work best if a tentative trip is programmed into navigation.

• Like x 1
  4. arnolddeleon

arnolddeleon Supporting Member

Also great for bringing your car with an RV

• Like x 1
  5. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

Don’t run out of juice. Imagine 100 miles later and you find out your car isn’t there anymore. Haha

• Funny x 4
  6. kev1n

kev1n Member

one problem with this, if the car you are following decides to drive off a cliff, is the tesla going too?

• Funny x 2
  7. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Member

There are going to be some interesting court cases once self driving is enabled. Sure it may be illegal to operate without a driver, but I'm sure you would rather get that ticket than get hit with a DUI....so you may be stuffing yourself in the trunk. "tessssla...drav hum...no...taco bell...order chalupassss"

Well, I'd hope that Daddy Elon would raise it better than that.

• Funny x 3