Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Charging Equipment Fault” - Rolec Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my LR today. Awesome car. 80% charged.

Got home (~80 miles) and plugged it straight into my tethered Rolec charger to ensure it worked as intended.

Getting the error:

Charging equipment fault - try different charging equipment.

I’ve tried the Tesla supplied 3-pin and it works absolutely fine. So I assume there’s an issue with the Rolec.

Spoke to Rolec. “It sounds like an app issue, speak to EV Energy”.

Spoke to EV Energy “It sounds like a hardware issue, Rolec/the installer needs to assist you”.

Called the installer & Rolec (again), no answer.

Has anyone experienced or aware of this error message? I’ll update this topic with my unnecessary journey, but any advice would be appreciated.

2BBA96C1-8027-4420-9EBC-FB2CBEE9DD2B.jpeg
21BFC6C5-F10B-4BA6-8A2C-833ABC4104CD.png

p.s. the car is awesome.

Did your installer register the charge point with EV Energy? Had a similar problem where it would charge for a minute and then cut off. Here's the bit in the instructions, you'll need the chargepoint serial number off the label on the side.

upload_2019-11-22_8-59-29.png

Thanks for that, it's already setup (the EV app can see the charger, and the app can see when I plug it into the car).

Putting my serial number in shows "You cannot commission a Charge Point which has already been commissioned.".

Currently waiting for call backs from all 3 of them.

You can't 100% rule out the car yet. Do you know anyone else with a Tesla or a Rolec in your area?
If your Tesla works with another type 2 ( ideally a Rolec) or you can try another Tesla on your Rolec then that kinda proves it.
The idea that its the app sounds like BS to me but you never know.

You can't 100% rule out the car yet. Do you know anyone else with a Tesla or a Rolec in your area?
If your Tesla works with another type 2 ( ideally a Rolec) or you can try another Tesla on your Rolec then that kinda proves it.
The idea that its the app sounds like BS to me but you never know.
You're right, it could still be the car I guess. Although it was charged before collection.

I don't personally know anyone else with a Rolec charger or a Tesla (or even an EV) that I can test with. I've seen another M3 around the village, so might have to track who it is ...

Public type 2 near by you could try maybe? . You are probably right it probably is the charger but worth exploring all options.
Good luck. I am getting a Rolec installed today and picking up an LR tomorrow so this could have been me! (could still be!) I wouldn't know where to find another tesla nearby to try either. I think I'm the only green in the village :) . You could post your location and see if there is a good Samaritan nearby? Seen that done before for charging woes.

One thought that ocured to me, try reducing the current limit on the car to 10A (same as what you'd get from the TMC with a 3-pin that works) and, if that works, slowly wind the current up. Also, can you hear the contactor in the chargpoint switch over when you connect to the car? Does the light on the charger change at all during the process?

FWIW, may well be completely unconnected, but my charge point, that has worked fine with my old Prius Plug-in, the BMW i3 I recently sold and a friend's Leaf, doesn't seem to work with the M3. No idea why, yet. The car locks the connector in OK, then sits there waiting for the charge point to turn on, which it doesn't. When the weather improves I'll go out and take a look at what's happening with the CP. I have a suspicion that the car may not be loading the CP in the same way as all the other cars (and my EV simulator box), as that's pretty much the only thing that can cause the charge point to not turn on.

Seems to charge fine with the granny lead, though.

Ok so an update. Kind of.

Firstly, no one called me back. Incredible really.

The next day I I tried again, and it worked first time. Then the next day it failed again. I've realised that if I gently push it in it doesn't work, but if I apply more pressure when connecting, it works every time.

So either it's a fault with the plug (or it's wet) or I was simply being too gentle with it. So should anyone else get a similar issue, apply pressure when plugging in, if it fails take it out, then try again.