Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Classic” Model X compared to Model X refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

I bought a top of line Pearl white 7 seater model X with 22 inch black wheels and full Auto drive package last April.
Excited that I bought pretty much the best Tesla (i never own an expensive high end luxury car), I’ve been very happy. Love it and expect to have it for many many years.

I always knew that there would be newer updated cars but didn’t expect it to occur so soon!

So, I was hoping to get some feedback on the new refreshed X (or S) by some recent owners of these models.

first off, do you think the styling of the refresh is nicer than the older vertical screen model? Sure, the tech is improved but it seems to me that the interior is boxier, not the smooth lines as in the older.

do you think the extra money is worth it for all the newer screens etc?

Also, does the newer model have more sensors and cameras? The one thing I’m really worried about is the software updates that I hope dosent get minimized for us Vertcal screen owners.

And even though the FSD isn’t activated yet, are the older owners who have paid for this feature gonna get neglected? Or will the older cars have the same “FSD” capabilities as the newer models? I have the latest Mcu chip etc.

Rob

I took delivery on 12/18/2020. ONLY feature I like on the new X is the rear screen. People in the back have no control over anything (seat heaters or for the 6/7 seaters no climate controls... I believe). I have a 5 seater X LR Pearl White.

screen orientation really isn’t an issue (I’m a developer in embedded systems). Almost 100% confident Tesla devs are using QT. It’s super simple to generate code for either landscape or portrait.

with all that said: enjoy your car. It’s a dream imho. I’m 100% confident these cars will be driving us soon enough (when we’re not having roller coaster fun)

just my $0.02

That rear screen is one of the biggest useless changes, for me at least.

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-7_10-20-36.png
    upload_2021-2-7_10-20-36.png
    149.4 KB · Views: 100
first off, do you think the styling of the refresh is nicer than the older vertical screen model?.
You hit on the one thing I completely dislike about the refresh, and M3, etc. That screen looks like a laptop glued onto the dash. To me it is ugly and I won't buy a car that looks like that. However, I realize that a lot of people really like a laptop looking thing on their dash. I guess I am in the minority on this topic.

May be "useless" to you.. but, for People with kids, people into gaming and folks expecting "luxury" car features/controls for the rear passengers, it is a very welcome addition.
I respectfully disagree. My kids love gaming, but an 8” screen at shin level won’t do it. They’d rather have their iPads and use an Xbox or similar controller with them and play whatever game they each want or watch a movie, etc.

I respectfully disagree. My kids love gaming, but an 8” screen at shin level won’t do it. They’d rather have their iPads and use an Xbox or similar controller with them and play whatever game they each want or watch a movie, etc.
My daughters first response when I said how cool look was oh can I play my iPad and phone games on it?... no... oh can I continue the games though?... I don’t think so but you can connect your PlayStation controller to it... I can do that on my iPad too. Does it still have usb to charge my iPad?... yeah... ok

Reactions: msm859 and elguapo
For the rear screen, I DO agree those passengers need controls. I am tired of my kids asking me to control the air, seats, etc. However, the other issue I have with the screen (aside from being pretty useless for games), is it's going to be, from the looks of the pix, in the perfect position to get kicked, bumped, etc by my kids as they get in and out. I can't imagine that will be a cheap fix...Tesla wanted $450 to fix the retractable cup holder in the second row when my kids broke that...Needless to say, it is still broken....

Ultimately, we need a lot more details from Tesla here on all of the features (where's PRND, seriously?), items possibly removed (e.g. air suspension), etc. Hopefully, they'll have a conference call by end of February, but I wouldn't count on it...

Hey thanks for the replies.

When I was shopping for a Tesla, when I saw the model y and the model 3 with the horizontal "ipad" on the square dash, I was turned off by the look. That is why I went with the X. I also figured Id better buy the X before they start to switch all models including X and S to horizontal screens.

Looks like I predicted this would happen and it did.

Now i do think the steering wheel is interesting and I like the rear screen for climate controls. I would have like to see the same layout in front with the yoke and rear screen. (with faster higher res ).

I couldnt care less about games,...people have their own phones and ipads. I've yet to play any game on the tesla except for the farts and the xmas x wing falcon door dance for laughs. But I'm driving, not playing games.

So its nice that passengers can control the heated seats and climate in the back.

back to the front,...I like the vertical screen with the curved edges of the dash blending into the front doors.

But once again my biggest concern is the driving experience. Is there still the same amouint of cameras and sensors for autopilot?
Is the HW chip still 3.0 and MCU 2.0? If its not, will us FSD pre paid suckers,...uhhh I mean guys be eligible for a chip upgrade if the HW chip is now 3.5? or the MCU chip faster? Im under the impression that if you paid for FSD, then HW chips will always be able to be upgraded and the MCU chips can be switched out for some extra cash.

the whole point of me buying the car was that it can be easily upgraded with these chips to keep up with the soon to be level 5 FSD....but yeah, I know what your thinking,...it aint happening for a while

Rob
pearl white seven seater model X with 22 inch blak rims....named The Orca

Hey thanks for the replies.

When I was shopping for a Tesla, when I saw the model y and the model 3 with the horizontal "ipad" on the square dash, I was turned off by the look. That is why I went with the X. I also figured Id better buy the X before they start to switch all models including X and S to horizontal screens.

Looks like I predicted this would happen and it did.

Now i do think the steering wheel is interesting and I like the rear screen for climate controls. I would have like to see the same layout in front with the yoke and rear screen. (with faster higher res ).

I couldnt care less about games,...people have their own phones and ipads. I've yet to play any game on the tesla except for the farts and the xmas x wing falcon door dance for laughs. But I'm driving, not playing games.

So its nice that passengers can control the heated seats and climate in the back.

back to the front,...I like the vertical screen with the curved edges of the dash blending into the front doors.

But once again my biggest concern is the driving experience. Is there still the same amouint of cameras and sensors for autopilot?
Is the HW chip still 3.0 and MCU 2.0? If its not, will us FSD pre paid suckers,...uhhh I mean guys be eligible for a chip upgrade if the HW chip is now 3.5? or the MCU chip faster? Im under the impression that if you paid for FSD, then HW chips will always be able to be upgraded and the MCU chips can be switched out for some extra cash.

the whole point of me buying the car was that it can be easily upgraded with these chips to keep up with the soon to be level 5 FSD....but yeah, I know what your thinking,...it aint happening for a while

Rob
pearl white seven seater model X with 22 inch blak rims....named The Orca[/QUO

It seems it has the same number of cameras as prior S/X except it also us the interior one, which for now seems unrelated to FSD.

Otherwise, we are all guessing. I don’t want to start a whole different thread, but I am one of the folks whose believes you can’t get have FSD with only cameras, radar and somewhat sensitive sensors around the car. If it was that “easy” every other comp y wouldn’t be futzing around with other tech. I digress.

I feel like I have to buy FSD though because I want the navigation driving and auto lane change for a bunch of long drives.

Well, for $100, I ordered a new Model X. I have a 2017 with upgraded Infotainment and autopilot 3.0 hardware (which I got when they did a discount mid-last year. Tesla trade-in value is about $60K on a car that was about $115K new.

I also have unlimited supercharging and don't pay for wireless connectivity. All of that goes away, and I get to pay the $10K extra for FSD. None of the owner benefits carry over it seems. You would think that Tesla would reward brand loyalty better than this... my reasoning is simple - longer range and I hope better build quality and less noise / more comfort.

I believe your FSD and wireless connectivity will transfer over to new owner if you sell privately. This probably will get you more $ by selling it yourself than a Tesla trade in. If you trade it in, probably will be stripped away when Tesla sells to new owner.

I sold my 2017 X 75 for a new one year ago. The new car has a ton more range, charges faster, performs better. The best thing for me is the adaptive suspensiton. It makes the car ride smoother, handles better, is much quieter as well.

While my car depreciated, the new one was much better equipped and that price was much lower as well.

Also got to take a fresh Section 179 plus accelerated depreciation again for the new car.

After all taken into consideration it was a pretty good trade up.

Well, for $100, I ordered a new Model X. I have a 2017 with upgraded Infotainment and autopilot 3.0 hardware (which I got when they did a discount mid-last year. Tesla trade-in value is about $60K on a car that was about $115K new.

I also have unlimited supercharging and don't pay for wireless connectivity. All of that goes away, and I get to pay the $10K extra for FSD. None of the owner benefits carry over it seems. You would think that Tesla would reward brand loyalty better than this... my reasoning is simple - longer range and I hope better build quality and less noise / more comfort.
I am still thinking of upgrading to the new X from 2016 P90D.

Two things holding me back:

1) I don’t think build quality has gotten any better overall and the interior will certainly have issues in the beginning.

2) Batteries. I think in 12 months, the X will have 400+ miles of range with the new batteries, etc.

So, for now, I’ve paid my $100, but don’t think I would take delivery until late summer.

Thanks, I also plan on taking advantage of section 179. You do have recapture when you sell the previous car. I'm tempted keep both or just sell to the private market. Let's see what the price difference is when the new model is ready to deliver.

I am still thinking of upgrading to the new X from 2016 P90D.

Two things holding me back:

1) I don’t think build quality has gotten any better overall and the interior will certainly have issues in the beginning.

2) Batteries. I think in 12 months, the X will have 400+ miles of range with the new batteries, etc.

So, for now, I’ve paid my $100, but don’t think I would take delivery until late summer.

I believe your FSD and wireless connectivity will transfer over to new owner if you sell privately. This probably will get you more $ by selling it yourself than a Tesla trade in. If you trade it in, probably will be stripped away when Tesla sells to new owner.

I sold my 2017 X 75 for a new one year ago. The new car has a ton more range, charges faster, performs better. The best thing for me is the adaptive suspensiton. It makes the car ride smoother, handles better, is much quieter as well.

While my car depreciated, the new one was much better equipped and that price was much lower as well.

Also got to take a fresh Section 179 plus accelerated depreciation again for the new car.

After all taken into consideration it was a pretty good trade up.