Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Classic” Model X compared to Model X refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was pretty happy that the refreshed X didn't make me regret owning my current '18 P100D at all. Most of the changes were what was expected and did not trigger FOMO for me. If they had made a drastic improvement to the range with 4680's or added some completely new capabilities it might be different. The faster charging is great but I charge at home 95% of the time. The majority of interior changes are to support a transition to FSD which I think is many years away from being a true paradigm shift. I can live without phone key. Exterior changes are negligible. I'm going to enjoy my "classic" S and X wait for the CT to be released. I'm glad they did the refresh though and killed the narrative that the 3 and Y are the best/most advanced cars Tesla makes.

Reactions: elguapo
for those of us that put the $100 down, how long could we potentially delay delivery? How does that work?
As long as you want. They’ll text you to tell you it’s time to prepare for delivery and you just say you want to delay.
The caveat is you can’t just call and say “now I am ready”. I mean, you can, but it doesn’t mean you’ll get the car the next week. But you can keep delaying as far as I know. I am 4 months past the first time they tried to deliver my Y...They still text me.

• Funny
Reactions: BulldogsRus
As long as you want. They’ll text you to tell you it’s time to prepare for delivery and you just say you want to delay.
The caveat is you can’t just call and say “now I am ready”. I mean, you can, but it doesn’t mean you’ll get the car the next week. But you can keep delaying as far as I know. I am 4 months past the first time they tried to deliver my Y...They still text me.
I’m sure you’ve addressed this somewhere, but I’m too lazy to look back over your posts. Are you waiting for something in particular or on the fence about Y vs. X due to the refresh?

I’m sure you’ve addressed this somewhere, but I’m too lazy to look back over your posts. Are you waiting for something in particular or on the fence about Y vs. X due to the refresh?
I knew there would be an S/X refresh and I have an X - I just didn't know when. I was kind of hedging. I wanted the new tech in the 3. My wife has an Audi A7 and she hates it - too big. So I was going to get her a Y, but wanted to see what the seven seat was like - it's just not big enough. So, we need the size of the X.

I should cancel the Y, but because there's no penalty, I just keep pushing it out. The Y is just too small if you have more than two kids.

Reactions: TespaceX and DIL
I'm also a happy camper with my '18 100D. Remains to be seen whether the new steering wheel (and lack of stalks) will be a usability problem. Also agree that the screen in the back is a nightmare waiting to happen if you have kids. That area (with the cupholders) already gets terrorized right now. Plus, the screen height is at a really odd location if you're going to actually be watching something on it.

The one thing I do want is to get rid of my key fob forever. We have a 3 as well and I much prefer the phone key route. Having to carry another key fob these days just seems antiquated to me.

Reactions: elguapo
I'm also a happy camper with my '18 100D. Remains to be seen whether the new steering wheel (and lack of stalks) will be a usability problem. Also agree that the screen in the back is a nightmare waiting to happen if you have kids. That area (with the cupholders) already gets terrorized right now. Plus, the screen height is at a really odd location if you're going to actually be watching something on it.

The one thing I do want is to get rid of my key fob forever. We have a 3 as well and I much prefer the phone key route. Having to carry another key fob these days just seems antiquated to me.
I tried not carrying my X fob for a while and just using the app. The problem is it is totally unreliable as it relates to connecting to the car. Sometimes it connects immediately, sometimes it's 40 seconds and other times, not at all. Once it left me "locked out" in a parking lot 20 minutes from my house, I was done with the experiment!

The other thing that gets me is I don't need fold flat seats, but need 7 seats and the "new" 2018 fold flat 7 seater seems (in my view) to have lost leg room because it's not behind the pedestal second row. Oddly, that's a key reason I don't want to upgrade. My kids fit well in the third row still because they can put their legs under the second row (of my 2016 X).

It will have the interior camera in the rear view mirror like Model 3 and Y

This. Just a hunch, but it could be that folks with the inside cam get hands-free fsd a bit sooner than those who have to prove they are paying attention with the wheel.

It’s pictured in the rendering.

CE560D72-AC62-4AAE-A67E-F671791D4681.jpeg

Well, for $100, I ordered a new Model X. I have a 2017 with upgraded Infotainment and autopilot 3.0 hardware (which I got when they did a discount mid-last year. Tesla trade-in value is about $60K on a car that was about $115K new.

I also have unlimited supercharging and don't pay for wireless connectivity. All of that goes away, and I get to pay the $10K extra for FSD. None of the owner benefits carry over it seems. You would think that Tesla would reward brand loyalty better than this... my reasoning is simple - longer range and I hope better build quality and less noise / more comfort.

Rmax - I believe connectivity and FUSC will not be wiped out for the next owner IF YOU SELL it privately - or any other way than trading it through Tesla - thus keeping your unicorn a unicorn, which makes it more valuable to the next owner in a private sale. Which will bring you a higher resale price. We just bought used through the Porsche dealer and the wireless and unlimited SC carried over to us at purchase. If you bring it to Tesla they wipe it out before the new buyer receives it. Which might be another reason you're only getting 60k. Post it to all the forums and you might find a buyer.

Rmax - I believe connectivity and FUSC will not be wiped out for the next owner IF YOU SELL it privately .

This is not correct. I just sold my 2017 privately this weekend. As soon as you transfer ownership in the app to the new private owner, it states that Free Unlimited SC is no longer available on the vehicle. So if you have a 2017 or newer, it will go away immediately. Connectivity goes with the car. It is just FUSC that is first owner only.

This is not correct. ... 2017 or newer, it will go away immediately. Connectivity goes with the car. It is just FUSC that is first owner only.

Thank you very much for the correction. Mine was a 2016 and BOTH transferred.

So there was a window of time i'm still trying to pin down, where connectivity and FUSC both go with the car, not owner.

Mine was 03/16 so at least we know that month/year both transfer.

Thank you very much for the correction. Mine was a 2016 and BOTH transferred.

So there was a window of time i'm still trying to pin down, where connectivity and FUSC both go with the car, not owner.

Mine was 03/16 so at least we know that month/year both transfer.
Cars ordered before January 15, 2017 have transferrable Supercharging, assuming private-party sale.

Cars ordered before July 1, 2018 had transferrable premium connectivity. Tesla made changes in 2020 and details can be found here: Connectivity
What connectivity package applies to Tesla cars purchased privately and have transferred ownership?
Tesla cars purchased privately or via third-party and have transferred ownership on or before January 20, 2020 will have free Premium Connectivity for the lifetime of the car (excluding retrofits or upgrades required for any features or services externally supplied to the vehicle – e.g. telecommunications network).

Tesla cars purchased privately or via third-party and have transferred ownership on or after January 21, 2020 that do not have lifetime Premium Connectivity or an active Premium Connectivity trial will receive a 30 day trial of Premium Connectivity before being eligible for subscription. The trial will commence on the date ownership transfers and requires the buyer to notify us of such date. The trial cannot be postponed or rescheduled.

• Informative
Reactions: Robotpedlr
Rmax - I believe connectivity and FUSC will not be wiped out for the next owner IF YOU SELL it privately - or any other way than trading it through Tesla - thus keeping your unicorn a unicorn, which makes it more valuable to the next owner in a private sale. Which will bring you a higher resale price. We just bought used through the Porsche dealer and the wireless and unlimited SC carried over to us at purchase. If you bring it to Tesla they wipe it out before the new buyer receives it. Which might be another reason you're only getting 60k. Post it to all the forums and you might find a buyer.

Thanks so much for the advise. If the offset is greater than the sales tax I just might do that.

I have Model 3 (2020) and I love everything about the car except the size, which is too small for our family with kids, and non-powered tailgate. Living in Europe I don't have a luxury to have a Model Y, but I had it ordered more than a year ago and was very excited to get one in the end of this year or Q1 2022. HOWEVER few days ago I noticed new Model X interior and features I had canceled Model Y and went for Model X and I am so in love with new Model X while before I didn't even considered it as an option.

I did test drive Model X earlier and it felt outdated in terms of interior and bulky in terms of driving. While doing test drive I liked Model 3 much more in terms of handling and interior minimalism and all the new other features, charging and upgrades which was the reason by choosing it as our first electric car. And now finally I can get all the new Model 3 and Model Y features in Model X plus all the other bonuses like 7 seats (more space than Y), larger space in total, more comfort, less noise (improved noise cancelling), ventilated seats and I love the new and amazing interior design (love the white plus dark wood the most). It just feels finally right and in same category as other new models and even above.

And all this was finally enough to overcome another big problem we had with Model X - falcon wing doors, which I personally love and wanted to have for usability reasons, but my wife was always against it, because of extra attention she thinks it will bring to our car, us and our kids. But that is another problem I will have to deal with in Q1 2022 (hopefully) when new Model X is here in Europe.

Ordered long range + white exterior + white interior + 22 inch wheels + fsd.