Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Clunk” sound on stop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hear it sometimes when then car auto halts and sometimes when I brake the car. Very noticeable when I tried to creep forward so I am not the jerk 1/2 a car length from the person in front of me.
Yeah, I notice this occasionally when using Auto Steer or when trying to move closer than where the car naturally stops. I also feel some feedback on the brake pedal when the "clunk" noise is heard.

I hear a clunk sound when stopping mode is set to Hold (which also automatically engages Vehicle Hold when you come to a stop). Sometimes if I'm on autopilot and traffic is crawling around 1-5 mph, it keeps annoyingly clicking on and off. Not sure if that's the same sound you're hearing.

My experience is that i hear a clunk when stopping with brake hold turned on. Turn it off and no clunk. i think it’s the lash in the drive line being taken up by the hold setting. I’d agree its more of a “click” than a clunk though. Pretty subtle, have to be listening for it.

When maneuvering at low speed, sometimes I hear a “clunk” sound as the car stops. It happens both in Drive and Reverse but not always. Service Center has been unable to fix. Video for reference:
Did you tap the button on the stalk to out it in park before the car settled to a stop?

It sounds like that's what you did.

I notice this occasionally when using Auto Steer or when trying to move closer than where the car naturally stops. I also feel some feedback on the brake pedal when the "clunk" noise is heard.

If you're on cruise control and step on the accelerator to "pull up closer" when the car wanted to be stopped, you cause this. The car will snap on the brakes in a panic as soon as you let go of the accelerator, causing a clunk.