Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Cold” soaked cabin temp - S vs 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
i have an S and a 3 in my unheated garage. Cold is in quotes because I’m talking Texas cold. Not real cold. I’d say garage temp is low 40s

Both cars unplugged at least 48hours.

Both cars undriven overnight - at least 11 hours.

The S cabin temp, reported by the app, was 58.

The 3 cabin temp, also reported by the app, was 49.

Why the significant difference? Both have been in roughly same climate and had similar driving the previous day.

Our 3 and X report about the same difference (10 F). I thought it was because one was on the ‘outside’ of the garage (lesser toward the heated house, corner, etc.).

Now you’ve made me take my IR thermometer gun and test this in the AM before I prewarm the 3 for the GF. :D

The X’s internal temp sensor (and I assume the S’s) is at the base of the front of the console. Not sure I recall where the 3’s is.

Reactions: f205v
I can't speak for the X or 3, however, the S has a fan that sucks cabin air into a chamber for accurate temperature measurement. If this fan isn't circulating (car climate control is off), it will not read an average temperature measurement of the cabin air. At this point, it is just reading the temperature of the stale air trapped (insulated) in the sensor chamber.

This can be easily seen by leaving your car parked in the sun outside in the winter. Set your climate manually to have fan at 1, A/C off, recirc on, and temp at Lo, and then make sure to turn it off. After the car has sat out there for a couple hours, check the cabin temp. Now turn on the climate control. With your settings, it really isn't doing much, however the temp sensor fan will engage, and you'll see the cabin temp change drastically. This is due to it sucking in actual cabin air and measuring it's temp.