Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gainesville, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your wish has been granted. These SCs are on the side of the Whole Foods, not in front. Also, as indicated in the photo, a reasonable distance from that building. There are four Chargepoint EVSEs in front, near the entrance and I have never seen more than one ICE in them. Of course, your general concern is warranted.

Great. One of the pics above made it seem like it was straight out from the main entrance. My mistake.

Here is the permit application. I can try to take some pictures of the hardware this week.

F9RwbYC.jpg

Larry was there anything in the permit info that looked unusual to you, that could imply v3 being the install vs one of the (presumably) final v2 installs in the US?
As was pointed out the permits are not going to have such details. The most they are going to state is the number of cabinets or charging terminals. They aren't going to state the capacity. As ejp001 points out you have to look at the Supercharger Cabinet labeling to see the capacity.

Larry

We should cool the V3 talk. Tesla has said those are for long distance travel. Gainesville is packed in between Ocala and Lake City. Better candidates would Tifton and Macon, I think.
We should also cool the Tifton talk, since Tesla said last night that v3 will be for new locations, not retrofits. And, thank god since taking Tifton down for a month while retrofitting would be a colossal pain in the ass for transiting south Georgia.

Went by today, quite a lot of progress- asked the installers about whether v2 or v3, said they can't say and also can't say when SC will be operational, Tesla policy I think..
Yeah my dream died last night when Tesla said they won't be going wide with v3 for a while, and then I died a little more inside when Tesla said v2 sites will not be upgraded to v3. At least the v2 sites will get the 145kW output bump; modest help that will come quickly at least. I wonder when we will see our first v3 location in GA/FL. My bet is not prior to 2020.

Any updates? Should be about done after another week.
As of yesterday 4 of the 10 charging terminals were installed.

Here's our club's public news article. Scroll to the end for current status.

Confirmed the location of the “Coming Soon” Gainesville Supercharger Station will be at Butler Plaza (Public)

I think that your completion estimate of one more week is a bit optimistic. We will need photos of the the switchgear and Supercharger Cabinets installed on their concrete pads as well as photos of the utility transformer and meter before this installation can reasonably be deemed nearing completion.

Larry

Last edited:
As of yesterday 4 of the 10 charging terminals were installed.

Here's our club's public news article. Scroll to the end for current status.

Confirmed the location of the “Coming Soon” Gainesville Supercharger Station will be at Butler Plaza (Public)

I think that your completion estimate of one more week is a bit optimistic. We will need photos of the the switchgear and Supercharger Cabinets installed on their concrete pads as well as photos of the utility transformer and meter before this installation can reasonably be deemed nearing completion.

Larry
Thanks Larry! My estimate was based upon the speed they built the Fort Myers supercharger in my town. It was done soup to nuts in like 4 weeks total.

Thanks Larry! My estimate was based upon the speed they built the Fort Myers supercharger in my town. It was done soup to nuts in like 4 weeks total.
Four weeks is the exception. The amount of time that a Supercharger installation takes has a lot to do with the permitting authority which can vary greatly from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Other factors are the local utility work schedule and weather. A case in point is the first phase of the Plantation Supercharger Station. That initial project took over a year to complete. The second phase took closer to the four weeks that you observed. The Altamonte Springs Supercharger also dragged out for 5 months due to permitting issues.

As I alluded to above, the best way to estimate progress is to monitor whether the switchgear, Supercharger Cabinets, and the utility transformer have been set on their respective concrete slabs. Then the last thing to go in is the meter. It will be installed in the meter cabinet that is provided and installed by the Tesla contractor usually on a pole or pedestal nearby the switchgear. Once that happens the station usually goes operational in a few days.

Larry

• Informative
Reactions: Swampgator