Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Dumb” cruise control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, Tesla's AP and FSD software is a mess. At this point I'm starting to wonder if it was a good buy and I don't even have the Y yet. Pretty clear safety is not a priority for this company, nor accountability.

The only saving grace is I never planned on using FSD, and actually never use cruise control currently, well, 99% of the time do not. Having said that, a dumb cruise control would be welcome given the regen braking impact when you let your foot off the pedal.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
I have travelled in my MYLR twice at night to Denver airport and using cruise control or AP is impossible because of the constant phantom braking (about 5 of them within 3 mile stretch). I can clearly see why it's happening - part of the highway stretch goes under bridges and highway changes grade, so large highway signs appear at the highway level and the "smart Tesla Vision" thinks it is an obstacle, while my human brain can process that same image much better. Highway is clearly marked and no traffic, conditions are perfect.

Should be very simple to adjust software to include simple constant speed cruise control. You would think.

I have travelled in my MYLR twice at night to Denver airport and using cruise control or AP is impossible because of the constant phantom braking (about 5 of them within 3 mile stretch). I can clearly see why it's happening - part of the highway stretch goes under bridges and highway changes grade, so large highway signs appear at the highway level and the "smart Tesla Vision" thinks it is an obstacle, while my human brain can process that same image much better. Highway is clearly marked and no traffic, conditions are perfect.

Should be very simple to adjust software to include simple constant speed cruise control. You would think.
It is already there in the software, just locked out. AP/TACC used to be an extra (software unlock) option but you got (very nice) basic dumb cruise if you did not pay for AP. But once you got AP the dumb option was locked away. When I got my car in 2018 I did not elect to get AP, and I am so so glad I made that decision. I love the basic cruise and hope I never have to give it up. It. Just. Works.