Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Finally” lost connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope there is a temporary glitch in the local cellular system but I’m wondering if Tesla has finally cut the cord on cars that have not been upgraded to a more recent firmware. I’m still on 2019.16.1.1 and have been asked daily via a screen pop-up to update “or else....”.
The car has not been able to connect all day so I can’t enter nav addresses nor can I stream anything. The App doesn’t work either. I do have FM/AM.
Hopefully the cellular system is just down here in Vancouver, B.C.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
You should have updated before like your car told you. Likely they cut the cord on the old VPN-based connectivity at the mothership, and now your car can't connect to it.

It means that the only way to regain connectivity is to visit a service centre, for a manual upgrade. It will likely cost money.

I “finally” lost connectivity 2 days ago on my 2018 MS P100D.

seems kind of ridiculous that it’s not included with the s and x for life of car, paid enough.

feel shortchanged too because yeah my model x 2017 p100d might have free connectivity for life but I have to pay for the infotainment upgrade to actually enjoy most of the updated connectivity anyway so that sucks too. Seems they get my money either way.

I “finally” lost connectivity 2 days ago on my 2018 MS P100D.

seems kind of ridiculous that it’s not included with the s and x for life of car, paid enough.

feel shortchanged too because yeah my model x 2017 p100d might have free connectivity for life but I have to pay for the infotainment upgrade to actually enjoy most of the updated connectivity anyway so that sucks too. Seems they get my money either way.

Both are options you can choose or not. No one is forcing you.

(1) Back in 2017, there was only an MCU1, so it's not like any of us were aware that there was an MCU2 coming in a year. Many of us are glad they are allowing us to upgrade for $2500 to the latest MCU, but again it's optional. No one just upgrades you for free for something like this. I complete my upgrade and it's well worth the $2500.

(2) Losing connectivity is part of the paperwork you signed for your Tesla. You were aware that you only get so many months free of connectivity with the more recent Model S/X along with Model 3/Y. None of this should be a surprised for anyone purchasing.

You can feel bad, but the reality is that all of this was known at the time you made the purchase.

Ohh also, they don't get you money. You made the conscious decision to purchase a Tesla and did the millions other owners around the world. You could have easily purchased another vehicle and be in the same boat (pay monthly for connectivity, and never been given the option to upgrade your infotainment upgrade)...

Reactions: AustinP
Both are options you can choose or not. No one is forcing you.

(1) Back in 2017, there was only an MCU1, so it's not like any of us were aware that there was an MCU2 coming in a year. Many of us are glad they are allowing us to upgrade for $2500 to the latest MCU, but again it's optional. No one just upgrades you for free for something like this. I complete my upgrade and it's well worth the $2500.

(2) Losing connectivity is part of the paperwork you signed for your Tesla. You were aware that you only get so many months free of connectivity with the more recent Model S/X along with Model 3/Y. None of this should be a surprised for anyone purchasing.

You can feel bad, but the reality is that all of this was known at the time you made the purchase.

Ohh also, they don't get you money. You made the conscious decision to purchase a Tesla and did the millions other owners around the world. You could have easily purchased another vehicle and be in the same boat (pay monthly for connectivity, and never been given the option to upgrade your infotainment upgrade)...

I hear ya. I'm a lawyer. I know what I did and when I did it and what I signed, it's just a gripe and a sentiment.

Basically have 5 tesla's in my family alone. Dude, i'm all in, with powerwalls/solar too.

That doesn't change the fact that it's still nickle and diming us.

Little to no respect for people who bought the products and basically built the company to forge ahead for people with 3's and y's so they can enjoy.

I feel like everyone who bought a S and an X should get "Founders" labels/badging for their cars from Tesla.

I hear ya. I'm a lawyer. I know what I did and when I did it and what I signed, it's just a gripe and a sentiment.

Basically have 5 tesla's in my family alone. Dude, i'm all in, with powerwalls/solar too.

That doesn't change the fact that it's still nickle and diming us.

Little to no respect for people who bought the products and basically built the company to forge ahead for people with 3's and y's so they can enjoy.

I feel like everyone who bought a S and an X should get "Founders" labels/badging for their cars from Tesla.
Your 2018 car is hardly an early adopter car. Come on. For all the shitty things Tesla has done in the past, this is not at all out of line or otherwise fishy. Yellowing screens considered part of normal wear, advertising specs which are nowhere achievable, selling vaporware and never delivering, etc - those are things people have a valid reason to complain about. Feeling entitled to free connectivity just because you bought a car 2 years ago, well, that is just it - feeling entitled.

Your 2018 car is hardly an early adopter car. Come on. For all the shitty things Tesla has done in the past, this is not at all out of line or otherwise fishy. Yellowing screens considered part of normal wear, advertising specs which are nowhere achievable, selling vaporware and never delivering, etc - those are things people have a valid reason to complain about. Feeling entitled to free connectivity just because you bought a car 2 years ago, well, that is just it - feeling entitled.

Had a 2015 Model S
Had a 2017 Model S
Have a 2017 Model X
Have a 2018 Model S

Probably spent more on Tesla over the years than you so yeah I think i'm generally an early adopter and having spent 500K+ on Tesla, I helped build this company.

How much did you spend?

• Funny
Reactions: oaito and Chaserr
Had a 2015 Model S
Had a 2017 Model S
Have a 2017 Model X
Have a 2018 Model S

Probably spent more on Tesla over the years than you so yeah I think i'm generally an early adopter and having spent 500K+ on Tesla, I helped build this company.

How much did you spend?
Your question just goes to prove my point - entitlement. If someone spends $500K on a house, should they feel entitled to a free data plan for their tablet? What if you spend a $1M, that ought to come with internet for the house life, eh? I bought my home from a rich developer who also happens to own a chain of dealerships, should I whine that I didn't get free carwashes for life for all my cars?

You knew very well what you were buying at what price. The early adopter cars you got still have connectivity (for the one you don't own anymore, you got the value of that connectivity when you sold it). Expecting to be getting free stuff, over and above what was clearly spelled out in what you paid for, is plain entitlement. As as I said earlier, there are people who have valid complaints about Tesla for not delivering what they sold, or using slimy wording interpretations or OTA updates to avoid financial obligations (warranty, transferable features, etc), but complaining about not getting what you clearly didn't pay for is worse than those people who whine about prices going down few months after they bought their cars and demanding refunds (funny how they never whine if prices go up, demanding that Tesla take more money from them).

To date I bought 4 brand new Model S, starting in 2013 so way earlier than you. I have enough issues with Tesla not delivering or weaseling out of obligations to no longer wanting to buy from them, but I never had a problem with feeling entitled to things I didn't pay for, or things like price changes (even though once it would have saved me a few thousand if I waited just 3 months). Of course it's nice to get free stuff, like when one of our cars got a free uncorking for faster acceleration, but that was an extra bonus for which I was thankful that they did it - I never felt entitled to it in any way.

Last edited:
hmmm, wondering if @sorka 's cell is still working? or did he finally update?

Both people here saying they have been cut off are in Canada, and we know AT&T roamed first with the Roger's network, and then with Telus (at least in the West) here in Canada. Maybe that is part of the reason; Canadian's are getting cut off first to save some sort of roaming fee using the older VPN.

Are there any American's loosing access?

• Funny
Reactions: goodbadboys9
@Drkmttr Just gotta chime in. “Early adopter” sorry. A 2015 is NOT an early adopter. Someone with a 2012 or 2013 p85. THEY are the early adopters. The ones that spent so much time at the service center they know each and every person at the center on a first name basis and upon seeing them at. Store Same thing 7 years later. People that bought. Roadster they built the company.

My two cents in this game. I had a 2013 p85. Back then when we’d ask how long will we have connectivity they’d say max of 4 years. Elon addressed it on a platform and said 4 years. But that was in 2013 when the cars rolled around with 3g. Can’t do anything on 3g. Now we’re moving to LTE and 5G in the next couple years. As Tesla puts goodies on the cars that use more data. Ya. I get the $10 a month. You spend $100k + on a car and gripe over $10. It’s worth it. Even for those with mcu1.

to the OP silly question but have you tried a hard reboot? My car has done The same in the states but it always would connect to WiFi (assuming you have WiFi for the car where you live. You didn’t specify)?

I'm on 18.36.2 (the last 8.1, and a little newer than sorka), a 2015 P85D with LTE and a 2016 SIM. No connectivity here, even after emit-reboot-gateway.

What is this $10/mo plan? I wonder if we damned, er, excommunicated, er, Salvage owners can sign up? How do the cool kids contact Tesla these days?

I bought my home from a rich developer who also happens to own a chain of dealerships, should I whine that I didn't get free carwashes for life for all my cars?
To date I bought 4 brand new Model S, starting in 2013 so way earlier than you.
Impressive. You must live like a King, you Nattering Nabob Of Negativism™.
PS - You forgot your whitex...

Last edited:
I'm on 18.36.2 (the last 8.1, and a little newer than sorka), a 2015 P85D with LTE and a 2016 SIM. No connectivity here, even after emit-reboot-gateway.

What is this $10/mo plan? I wonder if we damned, er, excommunicated, er, Salvage owners can sign up?

Impressive. You must live like a King. :j
Tesla shut off the old vpn and mobile app access and most services requiring connection to the tesla mothership won't work unless you update.

Status
Not open for further replies.