Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“More Valuable” Stealth Performance Model 3 Unicorn

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have all the red lines, but because I didn’t pay for Performance I didn’t put 2 and 2 together. I feel like the luckiest guy on earth. Debating whether to go to service center to get red line added to badge. Thoughts? Maybe it’s cooler to be stealth....

Go to the SC and demand it. "Why don't I have the red underline? This is UNACCEPTABLE! "

I wonder if this happens fairly often. On my old Model S, I never paid for the autopilot but they turned it on by mistake and it remained on the whole 3 years I leased it.

Go to the SC and demand it. "Why don't I have the red underline? This is UNACCEPTABLE! "

I wonder if this happens fairly often. On my old Model S, I never paid for the autopilot but they turned it on by mistake and it remained on the whole 3 years I leased it.

I dunno about fairly often, but we've seen at least a handful of forum members like this one who in 2018 actually purchased a LR-AWD Model 3 but on delivery found it had the P software on it (since at the time the SW was the only difference between it and the P3D-)

Likewise we had a few who purchased a P3D- and at delivery were given an LR AWD, which the SC then corrected with a software flash

In late 2019 (unsure of when else) upgrading from a LR AWD to a stealth was 2k more.

Yeah but you couldn't actually order one...you had to get lucky, find one in inventory, and hope it matched the color/wheels you wanted... (and if it didn't decide if you were ok with the color/wheels and price thereof or not since that could push the price diff thousands higher)

In 2018 you could order the P3D- right on the website for a while, then had a $5000 option to add the performance pack with the brakes and boat-anchor wheels.

Then Later in 2018 Tesla decided to kill the P3D- and make the P3D+ the only P, and drop the price $5000 (effectively giving you the Performance pack for free, but with no choice about taking it)

Now in 2020 we're back to Late 2018- single price for a P except you DO get a choice about taking the "free" Performance pack upgrade or not by checking (or not) the relevant box.

Yeah but you couldn't actually order one...you had to get lucky, find one in inventory, and hope it matched the color/wheels you wanted... (and if it didn't decide if you were ok with the color/wheels and price thereof or not since that could push the price diff thousands higher)

In 2018 you could order the P3D- right on the website for a while, then had a $5000 option to add the performance pack with the brakes and boat-anchor wheels.

Then Later in 2018 Tesla decided to kill the P3D- and make the P3D+ the only P, and drop the price $5000 (effectively giving you the Performance pack for free, but with no choice about taking it)

Now in 2020 we're back to Late 2018- single price for a P except you DO get a choice about taking the "free" Performance pack upgrade or not by checking (or not) the relevant box.

Yeah, just answering his question about where the 2k came from. 2018 pricing sounds better then now 2020 pricing though no? or Is the P3D+ now the same price as the P3D- then?

Wow!! I'm not so sure Tesla thought this through before releasing this latest pricing strategy.... or, did they and this is just a part of their looney master plan!!!

I suspect this is part of the master plan. I.e. Tesla SC gets large volume of calls by future M3 buyers asking how they can get a Stealth model 3. Tesla SC doesn't know how to answer and says just get a M3 Performance. Potential buyers complain they don't want 20" rims and refuse to by the car otherwise. Tesla HQ obliges by introducing M3 Performance without PUP. Internet congratulates these "whiners" for ruining it for everyone.

If the pricing doesn't change the Stealth performance M3 will truly become the Unicorn this thread started saying.

Yeah, just answering his question about where the 2k came from. 2018 pricing sounds better then now 2020 pricing though no? or Is the P3D+ now the same price as the P3D- then?

First in 2018- P3D- was 64k and P3D+ was 69k in 2018 when both were orderable.

Second in 2018- Then P3D- went away and P3D+ became 64k

Everyone who bought under the "first" conditions could get a $7500 tax credit AND a $5000 refund (if they turned in FUSC)... so net prices were $51,500 for P3D- and 56,500 for P3D+....everyone who bought under the second condition couldn't get a P3D- but could get a P3D+ and the $7500 tax credit so net cost for P3D+ was... $56,500.

Today either version of the P is $56,990... and also comes with about $500 less hardware than the 2018 version so effectively it's 57.5k apples to apples there.

So the P3D+ is slightly more expensive today....the P3D- is about $6000 more expensive today...when compared with those "first" 2018 buyers.

Addendum- FSD was $8000 in 2018 (5k EAP plus 3k FSD)... versus $7000 today (AP is free, FSD is 7k)- So that brings the effective price of the P3D+ today to be exactly the same as in 2018 if both get FSD. (though you still get whiners bad at math who insist they paid TENS OF THOUSANDS MORE or some nonsense)

The P3D- was still cheaper in 2018.... (it was about at parity with 2018 in 2019, but ONLY if you found an inventory car with the exact color/wheels you wanted)

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
the P3D- is about $6000 more expensive today

And, while Track Mode status on 2020 3P- going forward is definitely TBD, a literal reading of the website would indicate that the 3P- now does not come with Track Mode (again, TBD - we'll know in a couple months). Which makes this not an apples-to-apples comparison at all and the new 3P- pricing looks even more awful. It's not a vehicle anyone should buy if they are concerned about resale value, unless they determine Track Mode is available before purchase.

Regardless of Track Mode status, as annoying as it might be, it would probably make more sense to just get the 3P+ and fit it with a set of 18" wheels, and sell the 20" if they are useless to the owner.

Last edited:
No that was the AWD boost which is != to Stealth Performance. Close, but slightly slower and no track mode.

This is incorrect.

For much of 2019 you could in fact buy a P3D- for $2000 more than LR AWD

You couldn't order one (at all) but they regularly had them in inventory second half of the year for that price.

The AWD+ $2000 software thing was an entirely separate thing- with folks pointing out that it made no sense to consider that for new buyers when they could get a P3D- for the same $2000 upcharge if they could find one in inventory.

This led many to expect the P3D- would go up in price if it ever came back on menu.

Looks like they were right.

And, while Track Mode status on 2020 3P- going forward is definitely TBD, a literal reading of the website would indicated that the 3P- now does not come with Track Mode (again, TBD - we'll know in a couple months). Which makes this not an apples-to-apples comparison at all and the new 3P- pricing looks even more awful. It's not a vehicle anyone should buy if they are concerned about resale value, unless they determine Track Mode is available before purchase.

Regardless of Track Mode status, as annoying as it might be, it would probably make more sense to just get the 3P+ and fit it with a set of 18" wheels, and sell the 20" if they are useless to the owner.

Just to provide another data point. When I bought my Stealth back in August, it did not have/show Track Mode when I drove it off the lot. When I noticed that Track Mode was grayed out on my display a few days after delivery, I contacted Tesla Service and they simply added it to my vehicle via a software update. Perhaps Tesla will do this for 2020 Stealth owners but only upon request?...

No are you sure you aren't talking about the AWD boost which is != to Stealth Performance. Close, but slightly slower and no track mode, no little red line on the screen.

Yeah, I'm sure because my sales rep offered a Stealth to me with the same config that I wanted. and I said no................ Back then I didn't really understand what it was and thought I didn't need anything faster and wanted to save the 2k :(

Reactions: Msjulie
When I noticed that Track Mode was grayed out on my display

If it was grayed out prior to the call to Tesla, then you already had Track Mode, and they did nothing. There is not any indication of the option if you do not have Track Mode. It is grayed out if you are not in Park and you do not have your foot on the brake.

The $2K Is the cheap part of the equation.

After I saw my rears at 4/32 (fronts 7/32) @ 6K miles I realized just how powerful even a regular LR AWD was and eased off things. Now I'm at 20K and those two are just about to go under 3/32, which shows you how much punching it daily costs you in tire wear.

I drive fairly tame now, save a few moments each week. Amazing how powerful standard acceleration feels when you spend 80% of your time in chill mode.

Yeah, I'm sure because my sales rep offered a Stealth to me with the same config that I wanted. and I said no................ Back then I didn't really understand what it was and thought I didn't need anything faster and wanted to save the 2k :(

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
If it was grayed out prior to the call to Tesla, then you already had Track Mode, and they did nothing. There is not any indication of the option if you do not have Track Mode. It is grayed out if you are not in Park and you do not have your foot on the brake.

That makes total sense. Now that I think about it, Tesla service asked me to try a few things on my vehicle to help them determine why it was grayed out on my screen. I had presumed they actually did something to activate Track Mode, but it was probably just user error on my part (not having my foot on the brake pedal). Thanks!

The $2K Is the cheap part of the equation.

After I saw my rears at 4/32 (fronts 7/32) @ 6K miles I realized just how powerful even a regular LR AWD was and eased off things. Now I'm at 20K and those two are just about to go under 3/32, which shows you how much punching it daily costs you in tire wear.

I drive fairly tame now, save a few moments each week. Amazing how powerful standard acceleration feels when you spend 80% of your time in chill mode.

Hmm.. I should probably take a look at my wheels at some point.

Boat anchor wheels? Hilarious.

I dunno about fairly often, but we've seen at least a handful of forum members like this one who in 2018 actually purchased a LR-AWD Model 3 but on delivery found it had the P software on it (since at the time the SW was the only difference between it and the P3D-)

Likewise we had a few who purchased a P3D- and at delivery were given an LR AWD, which the SC then corrected with a software flash
What is an SC?