Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Navigation Update Required”, nav won’t work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reboot and nav is back, but GPS location is off by a few hundred feet, ie I’ll hit the turn and then get the “In 500ft turn left” instruction.
Will try another reboot later today.

Now I’m wondering if my ongoing GPS issue (off by 25 feet to many miles) that I’ve been having for a year or so has anything to do with this.

My issues were temporarily resolved with reboots, but now no sort of reboot is working.

Rebooting just temporarily fixes this. Be assured: The micro SD card is dying. The problem will worsen over time, until your MCU will wake up with a black screen where the map used to be.
If I understand this correctly, the car will still be drivable but AC/music won’t work when the microSD card completely dies? I am planning on making the trip to SoCal to get this fixed by EV FIXME in the next few months.

Now I’m wondering if my ongoing GPS issue (off by 25 feet to many miles) that I’ve been having for a year or so has anything to do with this.

My issues were temporarily resolved with reboots, but now no sort of reboot is working.
Your case sounds like a dying SD card. Mine and other recent reports hopefully are update related. This is not the eMMC fix. Just the SDcard that stores the maps so AC has nothing to do with it either.

Could be, but a new thread from yesterday has others reporting the exact same thing so unless the timing is impeccable that the SD cards are all failing “simultaneously”, I’m hoping it is indeed the 2020.48.37.6 update.

Add another user here with this issue. After five days of waking the car and having to reboot each time, I submitted a service request.

Getting back in the car during the day, I haven't any issues. "Initializing" only happens after the car has been to sleep.

2020.48.37.6 here

Update. After filing a service request, remote diagnostics tried a few things, but ultimately decided a needed a new SD Card. I politely declined and said either firmware will eventually fix it or I’ll just wait to double up when I eventually get the LTE retrofit done now that it’s only $200. However… part of their troubleshooting involved wiping/resetting the Nav because I noticed all of my recent locations were gone. I had tried multiple reboots after and was permanently stuck on the “Nav data needs updating, connect to WiFi” msg. I didn’t move to “Nav initializing” like it usually does. The next morning (Thursday), Nav was back and functioning 100% normally, including no voice prompt lag giving me directions 20secs after I passed the turn. Also, the telling thing is that it survived overnight sleep. Before, it’d work for the day, but back to the error msgs after the car slept overnight. So long story short, keeping my fingers crossed that the hard reset/deletion of maps by the diag team in fact forced a hard re-download of data and that I’m truly back to good.
Hopefully they do the same for you when they respond and we can have another positive data point.

Your SD card is old and those could only do so many rewrites, like the old MCU memory. You need a new SD card.
I’ve said before I understand that the SD Card could be wearing out, but with so many recent reports of similar issues after 37.6, I’m thinking not. Also, unlike the eMMC, the nav’s SD card is not written to on a daily basis. Multiple downloads of new maps sure, but how often has that happened. Either way, all data points…

I’ve said before I understand that the SD Card could be wearing out, but with so many recent reports of similar issues after 37.6, I’m thinking not. Also, unlike the eMMC, the nav’s SD card is not written to on a daily basis. Multiple downloads of new maps sure, but how often has that happened. Either way, all data points…
It is used to cache google maps that are displayed as you drive, as well as routes and route data to your destinations. This is constant writing and deleting of all areas not occupied by the map data itself, which, like you say, is fairly static.

It is used to cache google maps that are displayed as you drive, as well as routes and route data to your destinations. This is constant writing and deleting of all areas not occupied by the map data itself, which, like you say, is fairly static.
I’m in the same boat 13 P85+ with the aforementioned version number. Nav suddenly stopped working with the same error and messages the other guy had. Tesla said they noticed I had recently completed a navigation update so I checked on the car and no changes except I got a new pop up asking me about collecting my data for features my old car will never have. It does make me think this is more software related to the update not playing nice with my old ass rare car than the SD card suddenly breaking.

It all needs to be replaced and fixed. It’s all very slow. The screens have melted. Always seems to be some error especially with navigation that restarts sometimes clear up.

my service center is almost 4 hours away and I can never even talk to someone about what will be fixed, how long it’ll take, how much it’ll cost, how reliable the fix will be so I’m not having to take long road trips for repairs over and over. It’s too big of an expensive gamble and too much time for me to play games with an unresponsive service center. I need convenient reliable solutions.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Update. I don’t use Nav much normally, but have been have been putting it through its paces last few days. Everything is completely back to normal. Re-routes are quick and no lag in voice prompts in relation to current GPS position. So for me, having the maps actually reset by the SC, forcing a fresh download, appears to have resolved my issues. Time will tell I suppose if my SD card really is failing, but so far so good.

Final update on this: Tesla tried to push the nav update but every single time it would stop at around 30%. They determined the SD card failed, as many surmised in this thread. Instead of spending $250 to just replace the card I opted for the $1500 MCU2 upgrade. I figured that should buy at least another 5 years of not having to worry about these MCU/software specific issues. I’ve been happy with it mostly, except that V11 is not great.