Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Necessary” vs “Nice-to-Have” Interior Accessories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m considering adding a few practical interior accessories. So far I’ve added a screen protector, Temai cup holders, and OEM all-weather floor mats. Next I’ll add the organizers for the center console storage spaces. Looking at arm rest and center console covers/wraps, I see ads where the justification for applying the arm rest covers prevents scratches, which so far has not been a problem as far as I’m concerned. Other than aesthetics, is it really necessary to add a wrap or cover to the center console components? Are those areas prone to being easily scratched or damaged? I would like to avoid adding accessories that don’t really add anything in terms of practical functionality. I don’t think the Tesla interior looks bad and requires a facelift, and would be mostly content with leaving it as is. Thanks.

I got the center console organizers plus the door bin organizers. I really like them both. And, I just put in a set of super-bright foot well and puddle LEDs and those are nice. Next is an ultra bright trunk LED.

I'm not really a fan of wraps, inside or out, because they do not look as bright and sharp to me as the native paint and finishes. But these are all hyper popular among other enthusiasts.

I’m taking out that ugly wood dashboard. I got organizers for the console. I’m getting seat covers to protect the leather. I have a screen protection, and steering wheel cover. I’m deciding on whether to get a pet cover because my dog already had a car seat.

Vinyl for the center console is a must have for me, protects console surface from wear and tear. I was gonna get a wood grained one to matchh the dash but they wanted a grip for it and yea, no thanks went with the cheap black metallic, who cares...
A proper molded floor mat set that has coverage up the sides is a must have imo, especially with all this crazy weather.
Anti-glare screen protector/cover is a must have imo... oh and a roof shade, I never remove ours it's like a fixture of the car now. That's about all for must haves for me.

Reactions: Killer Junior
Converting your front center usb-c ports to support data could be nice. There are third party kits. I did this first month of owning my car. Love blasting my favorite tunes played from Flac uncompressed & high quality mp3 audio files. No extra bluetooth compression. Handy also when I play two player games with my kids. No futzing around in the glovebox.

Vinyl for the center console is a must have for me, protects console surface from wear and tear. I was gonna get a wood grained one to matchh the dash but they wanted a grip for it and yea, no thanks went with the cheap black metallic, who cares...
A proper molded floor mat set that has coverage up the sides is a must have imo, especially with all this crazy weather.
Anti-glare screen protector/cover is a must have imo... oh and a roof shade, I never remove ours it's like a fixture of the car now. That's about all for must haves for me.
I was looking at that roof shade kit that costs around $500. Might grab it. The anti-glare screen protector was one of the first things I did. Thanks.

Converting your front center usb-c ports to support data could be nice. There are third party kits. I did this first month of owning my car. Love blasting my favorite tunes played from Flac uncompressed & high quality mp3 audio files. No extra bluetooth compression. Handy also when I play two player games with my kids. No futzing around in the glovebox.
I looked at potentially doing that but haven’t had a need for extra charge ports but will consider it if it proves necessary. For now I’m running Apple Play and stream YouTube music since I already have a robust playlist built. Lossless audio might be nice but I’m pushing 50 and my hearing ain’t what it used to be, so I’m good with the SQ of compressed audio. Thanks.

Full disclosure, but the priority so far has been exterior mods/upgrades, so that’s what I’ve been spent money on so far:

Full PPF
Full ceramic coating
Front window tint
Wider tires + wheel spacers
Rim savers
Noise suppression kits
Corner window anti-theft film
Mud flaps
Quick Bandit

The interior won’t require as much as far as I’m concerned, but open to any other practical recommendations I might not have considered. Thanks.

Full disclosure, but the priority so far has been exterior mods/upgrades, so that’s what I’ve been spent money on so far:

Full PPF
Full ceramic coating
Front window tint
Rim savers
Noise suppression kits
Mud flaps
Quick Bandit

The interior won’t require as much as far as I’m concerned, but open to any other practical recommendations I might not have considered. Thanks.
I'd skip the rim savers, they won't stop a curb rash. 4.4K lbs vs a thin strip and a curb... they can also cause damage when they break apart from the curb and scratch up your car.

Noise suppression, may not be needed if you address it from the point of the noise intrusion which is occurs at the bottom of the A-pillars. There's an open recess near the mirrors, down in the corner of the windshield, fill that area and the booming is greatly reduced.

Full PPF
Full ceramic coating
Front window tint
Rim savers
Noise suppression kits
Mud flaps
Quick Bandit

I have full body stek ppf, really helps in Los Angeles.

I am sceptical of the noise reduction kits. Check out the video by user ilovecoffee which shows how he put noise dampening material in model y & some other stuff. I can dig up the video later when I return home if you don’t find it easily via forum search feature, let me know.

I have full body stek ppf, really helps in Los Angeles.

I am sceptical of the noise reduction kits. Check out the video by user ilovecoffee which shows how he put noise dampening material in model y & some other stuff. I can dig up the video later when I return home if you don’t find it easily via forum search feature, let me know.
Where did you get your PPF in Los Angeles?

I suggest adding a 1-piece or 2-piece mesh sunshade as these really make the passenger cabin more comfortable half of the year (I leave my sunshade installed all year long.)

I purchased a silicone rubber container that fits behind the center console between the front seats. This is large enough to hold 3 small water bottles. (This location is the only place that I could find I could reach from my driver's seat while driving.)

I suggest adding a 1-piece or 2-piece mesh sunshade as these really make the passenger cabin more comfortable half of the year (I leave my sunshade installed all year long.)
I'm curious which sunshade you bought.
I bought this BASNOR sunshade and had to return it. The side clips kept pulling out, and the magnet that was suppose to keep it from sagging was not strong enough to stay in place so it kept popping off. I'd love to find one that fits better.

I'm curious which sunshade you bought.
I bought this BASNOR sunshade and had to return it. The side clips kept pulling out, and the magnet that was suppose to keep it from sagging was not strong enough to stay in place so it kept popping off. I'd love to find one that fits better.
For a better fit a two-piece sunshade would be best. I have not been bothered by the amount of sagging in the middle of my one-piece Kikimo sunshade. I have not removed the sunshade since I installed in in the summer of '21. I also have not needed or installed the included reflective cover. I have no experience with using magnets or suction cups with the sunshade.

https://www.amazon.com/KIKIMO-Sunshade-Accessories-Reflective-Dustproof/dp/B09232DK8Q

I have not purchased the Motrobe two-piece sunshade. The Motrobe seems similar to the Kikimo one-piece in that it comes with a reflective layer that can be installed for additional solar ray rejection/protection.

Amazon.com

Taking delivery of our Model Y on Wednesday. These are the things I have to install immediately upon delivery.

YITAMOTOR Floor Mats
Spigen Mobile Charging Cable Organizer:
Spigen: Matte/Anti Fingerprint Touchscreen Protector
Spigen: Hidden Armrest Storage
Spigen: Center Console Organization Tray

GYEON Ceramic Coat Interior (white seats)