Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Service changes” - no car wash, Lyft, loaner policy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surprised to be offered a 24 hr $100 Lyft ticket.

I am a $60 one way Uber away from the service center to my house and even more to my work (which would then require a 10 mile walk since I can't get a rideshare driver past the gate, LOL). So I guess if I got that, I would just use the credit to get me to the nearest AVIS to rent my own car.

So far they have still provided me a loaner, albeit thru Enterprise. Hopefully I will get warned in advance if they will use this policy so that I can go ahead and rent a car upfront.

Reactions: Gray468
Tesla is a luxury priced vehicle and they most often compare themselves to BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus. In that category, loaner cars are de rigueur. If I was buying a $15k Kia, I get it. But with $100k+ stickers I expect my inconvenience to be minimized for warranty work. And as a buyer I appreciate the courtesy for paying the dealer (ahem, Service Center) for maintenance.

Car washes may be a nice perk (actually designed to remediate any possible soiling in the service process), but I’m more concerned about my time & expense during any necessary service visit. Elon will learn this the hard way over time, as he has other parts of retail.

I saw the bill for the rental that Tesla got for me. It cost them more than what I paid for the maintenance work. It's on them because it took so long to finish with my car. I'm guessing that Tesla doesn't have as many loaner cars as other dealerships do.

Tesla is a luxury priced vehicle and they most often compare themselves to BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus. In that category, loaner cars are de rigueur. If I was buying a $15k Kia, I get it. But with $100k+ stickers I expect my inconvenience to be minimized for warranty work. And as a buyer I appreciate the courtesy for paying the dealer (ahem, Service Center) for maintenance.

Car washes may be a nice perk (actually designed to remediate any possible soiling in the service process), but I’m more concerned about my time & expense during any necessary service visit. Elon will learn this the hard way over time, as he has other parts of retail.
Mobile service is actually the new standard for luxury service. No need to spend any time driving, waiting, etc. They come to you at your convenience.

Reactions: BrokerDon
When needing service and before scheduling, how do we know what the mobile service can/can't do?
Just schedule it. They will tell you if they can't do something.

I would think the only things they couldn't do would be heavy lifting of the whole car for battery or drive train replacement.

My mobile service replaced air bag, door handle, steering bolts, and rear hatch drain plugs.

Reactions: BrokerDon
I saw the bill for the rental that Tesla got for me. It cost them more than what I paid for the maintenance work. It's on them because it took so long to finish with my car. I'm guessing that Tesla doesn't have as many loaner cars as other dealerships do.

They should create a large batch of Model 3 base-level cars for use as loaners. Would still be better than any rental ICE! Plus it would cost Tesla a lot less in outlay and depreciation.

Reactions: BrokerDon and vickh
Tesla is a luxury priced vehicle and they most often compare themselves to BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus. In that category, loaner cars are de rigueur. If I was buying a $15k Kia, I get it. But with $100k+ stickers I expect my inconvenience to be minimized for warranty work.

I get what your saying, my niece who has a 2015 Kia Optima EX and payed 26k for it OTD, gets a loaner car every time her car goes in for Service (it's funny how its a Kia dealership but they don't give out Kia loaner cars) but to be honest it's not really about the cost of the vehicle (most of the time) but more or less the Manufacture who wants to keep their customer's.

Reactions: vickh
Not sure why people are assuming Tesla pulling back on Tesla loaners means they are not providing cars during service. They’ve long had a deal with enterprise providing rental cars to customers whose car is in service. Tesla foots the rental bill. I think this is a lot of alarm over not much of a change. There’s no way - with the volume of cars in service now that model 3 out - it would make economic sense for Tesla to provide Tesla-owned loaners everywhere to everyone. That’s a lot of capital to have tied up, and they have to discount those cars when they sell them.

Reactions: vickh
So, regardless of of the prestige of the dealer marque, be it Kia or Cadillac, one thing all ICE stealerships have in common is the desire to have owners come in for regular maintenance. Knowing they can charge exorbotant prices for things you probably do not need, they are more than happy to give you a nice new loaner to take the sting out of being bent over when you get the bill.

Tesla, once again, is leading the way by having the SC ( Not a profit center per Elon) only recommending service as needed. In addition, what little service remains can be done by the owner.

The glass is more than half full in this case IMO. Rarely did I have a good service experience with ICE cars...

Reactions: BrokerDon and tomas
I get what your saying, my niece who has a 2015 Kia Optima EX and payed 26k for it OTD, gets a loaner car every time her car goes in for Service (it's funny how its a Kia dealership but they don't give out Kia loaner cars) but to be honest it's not really about the cost of the vehicle (most of the time) but more or less the Manufacture who wants to keep their customer's.

KIA now has $52K+ Luxury cars. They're trying to do the lexus/toyota branding. Meanwhile Tesla is going the other way...

Not sure why people are assuming Tesla pulling back on Tesla loaners means they are not providing cars during service. They’ve long had a deal with enterprise providing rental cars to customers whose car is in service. Tesla foots the rental bill. I think this is a lot of alarm over not much of a change. There’s no way - with the volume of cars in service now that model 3 out - it would make economic sense for Tesla to provide Tesla-owned loaners everywhere to everyone. That’s a lot of capital to have tied up, and they have to discount those cars when they sell them.

Who would I call for loaner inventory? or do they auction them?

I would jump at buying those loaners too,esp if they qualify to 1st time buyer tax credits. Tesla seems to only do showroom demos in AZ with minimal discounts

Last edited:
I got a white 70D as a loaner when my car was in for service. Steel roof, and no hi fi sound. But it worked and got me to work and my kids school and back home with no gas or tailpipe emissions. I was happier than having to get a rental car. I wouldn't mind that again.

SC here in VA did away with washes last year. (I always decline washes anyways as Im picky about products and proper car washing needed to avoid introducing micro swirls onto the clearcoat). Fortunately we still get loaners here.