Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Service changes” - no car wash, Lyft, loaner policy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, regardless of of the prestige of the dealer marque, be it Kia or Cadillac, one thing all ICE stealerships have in common is the desire to have owners come in for regular maintenance. Knowing they can charge exorbotant prices for things you probably do not need, they are more than happy to give you a nice new loaner to take the sting out of being bent over when you get the bill.

Tesla, once again, is leading the way by having the SC ( Not a profit center per Elon) only recommending service as needed. In addition, what little service remains can be done by the owner.

The glass is more than half full in this case IMO. Rarely did I have a good service experience with ICE cars...

AMEN !!!

Our Mercedes Benz Sprinter Green (LOL) Bluetec turbodiesel REQUIRES a:
  • $400 to $600 "Service A" (basically an oil & oil filter change) every 10,000 miles
  • $1,100 to $1,200 "Service B" (oil, oil filter, cabin air filter, air cleaner filter, fuel filter) every 20,000 miles
NO those prices do NOT include:
  • brake line flush (required per maintenance schedule to avoid warranty issues)
  • transmission flush $400 plus another $200 if you want the torque converter drained (which they recommend)
They even quoted me $40 to "top off" my DEF (Diesel Exhaust Tank)... which took me 5 minutes and $12.00 for a 2.5 gallong of DEF fluid !!!

YES they include a free MBZ "courtesy vehicle" and do a quick wash of our exterior for the 1/2 day it takes to complete these MANDATORY services... but they're AbSoFreakinLutely NOT FREE !!!

Oh and don't get me started on how we have to FIGHT the dealer to FIGHT Mercedes to cover legally covered federal or CARB emissions components that frequently FAIL on these "Engineered Like No Other Vehicle In The World" Mercedes:
  • wheel speed sensors (ABS) $500 EACH
  • turbo seal $200+
  • glow plugs ($500 EACH)
  • NOx sensors ($400 EACH)
  • DEF level sensors (they won't replace sensors... only the ENTIRE DEF tank / system)
  • DEF tank heater ($4,000 to replace)
The Mercedes Blutec turbodiesels now have forced Mercedes to quietly offer extended warranties on their NOx sensors... and triggered a Class Action Lawsuit for the above Blutec turbodiesel issues. They're also being investigated for their VW-like "DieselGate" for the Blutec (I'm hoping for a Buy Back).

So Tesla NOT washing our car and NOT giving us loaner cars is NOTHING compared to the WALLET DRAIN the Mercedes STEALERSHIP attempts and Mercedes corporate backs each time we reluctantly visit. LOVE our non-STEALERSHIP Tesla !!!

• Love
Reactions: mspohr and aerodyne
Don +1...

After agreeing the Tesla was a good car for both of us, the wife decided the MS was ..."too complicated" for her. But she liked the Concept of an "S".

So know we have a MB 560 S Class that just sits in the garage. With over 40 buttons in just the front two seats, it needs two people to operate it properly.

As far as MB Service, I am not impressed after the sale. Parts Dept won't answer the phone half the time or return messages, takes multiple attempts at various MB Stealerships to talk to someone. Always trying to pressure you to make an service appointment.

When you visit, you get lied to. Have to peruse the very sparse content on the MB boards or go to third parties to get common parts. No one at the parts desk, have to ring bell and wait.

Two week lead time....FOR OIL DRAIN PLUG!

Was sold the wrong oil, and filter, oil was like 7 years old. No coolant to be had in North America of the recommended type.

The car has great ride, leather, auto sunshades, cross and rear traffic alerts. Poor autopilot, inferior GUI, navigation, and streaming. Slower and less agile. Best suited to long cross country trips.

The coffee and cookies and scenery in the stores are very good, about the same as Lexus. Which I sold to make room for the huge MB, and good riddance to that brand too.

AMEN !!!

• $400 to $600 "Service A" (basically an oil & oil filter change) every 10,000 miles
  • $1,100 to $1,200 "Service B" (oil, oil filter, cabin air filter, air cleaner filter, fuel filter) every 20,000 miles
  • transmission flush $400 plus another $200 if you want the torque converter drained (which they recommend)
They even quoted me $40 to "top off" my DEF (Diesel Exhaust Tank)... which took me 5 minutes and $12.00 for a 2.5 gallong of DEF fluid !!!

YES they include a free MBZ "courtesy vehicle" and do a quick wash of our exterior for the 1/2 day it takes to complete these MANDATORY services... but they're AbSoFreakinLutely NOT FREE !!!

Oh and don't get me started on how we have to FIGHT the dealer to FIGHT Mercedes to cover legally covered federal or CARB emissions components that frequently FAIL on these "Engineered Like No Other Vehicle In The World" Mercedes:
  • turbo seal $200+
  • glow plugs ($500 EACH)
  • DEF level sensors (they won't replace sensors... only the ENTIRE DEF tank / system)
The Mercedes Blutec turbodiesels now have forced Mercedes to quietly offer extended warranties on their NOx sensors... and triggered a Class Action Lawsuit for the above Blutec turbodiesel issues. They're also being investigated for their VW-like "DieselGate" for the Blutec (I'm hoping for a Buy Back).

So Tesla NOT washing our car and NOT giving us loaner cars is NOTHING compared to the WALLET DRAIN the Mercedes STEALERSHIP attempts and Mercedes corporate backs each time we reluctantly visit. LOVE our non-STEALERSHIP Tesla !!!
Tesla's don't require any of this "routine maintenance" sobig savings of time and money.

Reactions: BrokerDon
“Becoming profitable” has been the commonly quoted reason for the progressive decline in the service experience over the last 3 years. Tesla is reportedly profitable now. It would be nice if the service experience can now start improving.

Reactions: aerodyne
AMEN !!!

• turbo seal $200+
  • glow plugs ($500 EACH)

I have owned a Mercedes since 1997. I lease a new one every 3 years. My lease always includes all service.

I get a car wash every time I get a service. I

get an Uber to and from work. If repairs take more than a day, I get a loaner.

I have a regular service rep. I have his cell phone number.

I thought about switching to Tesla, build couldn't bring myself to do so because of its service problems (among other things).

Reactions: vegas888
Took vehicle in. No more loaner. Only offered for vehicles under warranty. Otherwise they’ll give you some Uber credits. Not sure for those people with situation where Tesla keep the vehicle for several weeks. I was told they usually don’t give Uber credit that long.

would be nice they will bring back the loaner program for model S owners at least. We paid almost 90k for the vehicle. Some paid over 100k with all the upgrades.

I have owned a Mercedes since 1997. I lease a new one every 3 years. My lease always includes all service.

The only sane way to own these cars - treat them as disposable and never ever ever own one where the service is on your dime. The ultimate in disposable society. There’s a reason these cars are basically worthless after 3-5 years.

I get a car wash every time I get a service.
I happily let the Subaru dealership wash that car. Never wanted Tesla to. I’ll handle that.

They also gave me a Crosstrek loaner last time and I’ve got a regular service advisor, which I agree is a nice model provided you get a good one.

That said, the Subaru is a heap for the damn near $50k we paid for it and no amount of good service is gonna make up for all the time it’s spent in the shop.

Most of my Tesla service needs have been handled in my driveway or the parking lot at work. My experience with in-person service has so far ranged from excellent to fine. But mostly I haven’t needed much service, and most of the service I’ve needed has been handled with literally zero inconvenience or trouble (they come to me), and that’s priceless.

Last edited:

I get a car wash every time I get a service.

I get an Uber to and from work. If repairs take more than a day, I get a loaner.

I have a regular service rep. I have his cell phone number.

SPOILER ALERT !!!

All the "FREE" auto dealership services are built into your lease payment or purchase price. They are NOT "FREE". Both Mercedes AND your dealership are making LOTS of $$$ giving their customers "FREE" stuff. (one of my former clients was an auto dealership)

Leasing a new car every 3 years certainly saves you paying for service... but usually is much more costly than buying a vehicle and keeping it for 6 to 10 years. But hey who doesn't want a new car every 3 years? Different strokes for different folks.

We LOVE having no car payment.... Just occasional repairs covered by our Tesla 4-year Extended Service Agreement (less $200 deductible). :D

Also keep in mind:
  • a comparable hand car wash only costs $20 even in expen$ive Newport Beach
  • Tesla gives me Uber
  • Tesla Service and Body Shop have given me loaners if the repairs took more than a day
  • our Tesla Service replies promptly by text once I created a Service Request on my Tesla app
  • I have our Tesla Ranger's cell phone number once the Tesla Service Tech is dispatched
Don't get me wrong, Tesla again offering "FREE" car washes and loaners every time was nice... and would make more customers who are used to these services from higher end auto dealerships happy... but IMHO the ENTIRE Tesla experience is FAR superior than auto STEALERSHIPS.

YOMV (Your Opinion May Vary)

Reactions: mspohr
My service experience has always been fantastic.

Mine has been as well. I’ve only got 14K miles on my 2017 S 75. It looks and smells new. It’s been awesome. I’ve only needed service once in 3 years, a ranger came to the house. I’m a sample size of one and a minimal user of Tesla service, so while my experience has been excellent, my one service experience cannot define typical.

I supercharge free. I’ve never had to wait for a supercharging spot. I don’t pay for radio data. All that’s changed.

Messages posted here tell a tale of service experience declines.

When I bought my car, loaners were the norm. Then rental cars. Then Uber rides. You could speak to a human and call for appointments.

There have been stories of 6 month waits for parts, service that leaves a car with interior dents, smudges, and damage, swirls from careless washes, and some reports of actual damage during servicing. Yellow bordered screens used to be replaced. No longer. I have little doubt that the service experience has declined in the 3 years I’ve had my car. I’d like to see Tesla actively address all the changes and return the awesome level of service they provided just 3 years ago.

SPOILER ALERT !!!

All the "FREE" auto dealership services are built into your lease payment or purchase price. They are NOT "FREE". Both Mercedes AND your dealership are making LOTS of $$$ giving their customers "FREE" stuff. (one of my former clients was an auto dealership)

Leasing a new car every 3 years certainly saves you paying for service... but usually is much more costly than buying a vehicle and keeping it for 6 to 10 years. But hey who doesn't want a new car every 3 years? Different strokes for different folks.

When I was car shopping last year, the base model Model 3 ($39,000 sticker) leased for $595 with $1000 cap reduction, no service included.

I leased a Mercedes C300 Coupe ($50,000 sticker) for $615 a month with $1000 cap reduction. That price included all service.

If you like to lease, Tesla's deals are terrible.

You are correct that leasing is more expensive. I figure it costs a premium of about $100 a month to lease versus buy. But I always drive a new car, and it is always within warranty.

When I was car shopping last year, the base model Model 3 ($39,000 sticker) leased for $595 with $1000 cap reduction, no service included.

I leased a Mercedes C300 Coupe ($50,000 sticker) for $615 a month with $1000 cap reduction. That price included all service.

You are correct that leasing is more expensive. I figure it costs a premium of about $100 a month to lease versus buy. But I always drive a new car, and it is always within warranty.
Cheap leases are one way to sell cars with low demand.

Agree. Tesla will lease you a car but they really don’t want to. It’s a demand lever. On the other hand MB, BMW, etc long ago gave away over half of their sales to leases to prop up the factory output, build up a continuous supply of new car demand, and a pipeline of “certified pre owned” cars to sell outright to hapless suckers that ultimately keep their dealerships in business.

More than anything, this was the big driver of German luxury brands moving to 4 year 50k warranties.

1) Lease the first 3 years at a relatively attractive rate to someone accustomed to burning money in the name of prestige, knowing full well the car is coming back in 3 years for you to sell again AND get original money burner into a new lease - “customer for life”.

2) Sell the lease return as a CPO to the baller on a budget, with one or two years of warranty to cover the now badly failing car that they just financed for 3-6 years.

3) Milk second owner dry, financing a now out of warranty car until the ~6 year old heap is essentially worthless or mechanically totaled due to shoddy workmanship and insane repair costs.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Agree. Tesla will lease you a car but they really don’t want to. It’s a demand lever. On the other hand MB, BMW, etc long ago gave away over half of their sales to leases to prop up the factory output, build up a continuous supply of new car demand, and a pipeline of “certified pre owned” cars to sell outright to hapless suckers that ultimately keep their dealerships in business.

More than anything, this was the big driver of German luxury brands moving to 4 year 50k warranties.

1) Lease the first 3 years at a relatively attractive rate to someone accustomed to burning money in the name of prestige, knowing full well the car is coming back in 3 years for you to sell again AND get original money burner into a new lease - “customer for life”.

2) Sell the lease return as a CPO to the baller on a budget, with one or two years of warranty to cover the now badly failing car that they just financed for 3-6 years.

3) Milk second owner dry, financing a now out of warranty car until the ~6 year old heap is essentially worthless or mechanically totaled due to shoddy workmanship and insane repair costs.

I am guilty on both counts.

I have leased a Mercedes C Class since 1997. I get a 45,000 miles lease, when it gets to 44,000 miles, I bring it back. Mercedes writes off the remaining lease payments, and I get a new Mercedes.

Essentially, I rent a Mercedes for $20 a day. I always drive a new car. They are always good cars.

As for the CPO purchase, last week, I bought my daughter a 2017 BMW 330i with 8,000 miles for $24,000. It's a beautiful car. Since she drives only about 5,000 miles a year, I think that's a pretty good deal.

Different strokes...