Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Service Request” notification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sleepydoc

Aug 2, 2020
Minneapolis
I got in my car the other day and got a Service Notification message on my screen with the message:
”An unexpected condition may occur with the heating and cooling system of your car….Tesla would like to proactively replace certain components to prevent this condition from occurring in the future.”

I assume this is Tesla’s equivalent of a recall (actually a much better way of communication, IMO.) has anyone else gotten this and what is the exact problem they’re addressing? From the message it must be something with the heat pump.

(FYI I got my MY in July, 2020, VIN 027xxx)

To corroborate to what jk64k said, it's probably Tesla Service Bulletin "SB-21-18-002" from March 2021.

Condition: Certain Model 3 and Model Y vehicles may be equipped with refrigerant pressure/temperature (P/T) sensors in the heat pump that can fault over time.

Correction: Replace all 3 refrigerant P/T sensors.

A friend of mine has a July 2020 MY and one or more of his sensors was faulty and he didn't realize it. Tesla pro-actively performed the TSB when he was in the shop for another issue and he did notice that his AC performance was much better when he got his car back.

that could be it. I did notice the heat was pretty anemic last winter. Maybe this will help?

How long did it take for them to replace them? I’m trying to schedule the appointment and the Tesla shop that can do it is a half hour away so I need to figure out if I can wait there or not and if so, how much time to set aside.

The TSB lists it as a 1.5 hour repair, but they probably won't start on it the moment you arrive. If you are going to sit and wait, I'd expect to be there 3+ hours at a minimum (assuming with the latest covid flair up they are even allowing people to wait).

This is good to know that they are reaching out to people, with the affected VINs, who haven't come into the SC already. Tells me that they've worked their way through the backlog and now are notifying the "stragglers" left.

I've been impressed with the integration of the car's diagnostics and the service app so far. Good to see!

Reactions: sleepydoc
The new T&P sensors worked great in my wife's MY. Her A/C worked good, but every now and again would seem to struggle. She took her MY on a road trip after the upgrade from LA to Yosemite, Sequoia NP, Lake Isabella and back. It was 110+ in spots and she had the climate on non-stop for the week (only off when they parked for the night). The A/C kept everyone perfectly comfortable.

Reactions: sleepydoc