Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Standard Range” = 75D? Is a range upgrade coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla was opening new stores and telling everyone how it's their key strategy for success less than 2 weeks ago. Now they are closing them. Welcome to agile business model.

I suspect software locked LR numbers are a few hundred at best, or maybe never produced at all, like the original S60D (sold for 2-3 weeks, never produced).

Okay then, point me to the news source where a new battery pack is mentioned? I haven't seen any since the official announcement that all S/X models would have a 100 kWh battery. This much was widely reported e.g.

Tesla Launches New Model S, X With Software-Locked 100-kWh Battery

Okay then, point me to the news source where a new battery pack is mentioned? I haven't seen any since the official announcement that all S/X models would have a 100 kWh battery. This much was widely reported e.g.

Tesla Launches New Model S, X With Software-Locked 100-kWh Battery
That article is not an official Tesla announcement. If the 75 is software locked why does it weigh less than the 100? If on the other hand, as has been speculated, it's a 100 with cells removed it would be possible to add cells later. But perhaps not practical.

That article is not an official Tesla announcement. If the 75 is software locked why does it weigh less than the 100? If on the other hand, as has been speculated, it's a 100 with cells removed it would be possible to add cells later. But perhaps not practical.

Not official, but it was very widely reported in the EV media. But I haven't seen a single report yet of a new smaller battery pack. I agree it does seem to be contrary to the published weight and performance figures, which are now the same as the previous 75 kWh packs.

So either these specs are an error or the EV media hasn't picked up on the latest spec change yet, which I would find a bit odd as they are usually ahead of the game.

Edit: looks like there is a new pack then!

https://electrek.co/2019/03/01/tesla-model-s-model-x-prices-options/

I suspect it's a new 85pack. Maybe my BTX8 theory isn't that far fetched.. ;)

A 75 pack is to small for a premium Tesla when compared to model 3 but i would be a waste to put in an extra amount of 15kwh when battery cells more or less is a bottleneck for all EV producers today.

Can the standard range pack be a new pack with new chemistry like the 2170 cells but smaller and prepared for SC3? Like a first step to a model s refresh?

If so, they would have to keep that very quiet not to upset people buying the long range version. More likely a scaled down version of the current 100 kWh pack.
Yes, but it's a very small price difference between standard (81,6kUSD) , long (85,7kUSD) and perf ludacris (94,1kUSD) here in Sweden for instance.
So even if it's a new chemistry the current 100pack still is a bargain.

Yesterday I have just received loaner from Tesla for my model 3, and they gave me a brand new 75D with 40 miles on it(it shows 75D on the outside badging and on the home screen). Surprisingly, I charged to 90% over night and it was at 280 miles, and still finishing up on the charge when I disconnected it. So im confused as to how a 75D is able to get 280 miles at 90%. My LR RWD model 3 gets 279 miles at 90%. Any thoughts?

Yesterday I have just received loaner from Tesla for my model 3, and they gave me a brand new 75D with 40 miles on it(it shows 75D on the outside badging and on the home screen). Surprisingly, I charged to 90% over night and it was at 280 miles, and still finishing up on the charge when I disconnected it. So im confused as to how a 75D is able to get 280 miles at 90%. My LR RWD model 3 gets 279 miles at 90%. Any thoughts?
Is it set to show rated range or ideal range?

Ill check shortly when I get back in it. It was showing that in the battery icon on the screen, not on the "energy graphs" where they show different levels of range for how you're driving. Unless I'm unaware, there's no way to change to ideal range rather than EPA rated on the main battery icon correct?

Yes there is, range displayed in miles on an S/X is one of 3 options:

1: "rated" which is EPA

2: "Ideal" which is a made up number that's like 20% higher than EPA. My P85+ shows 300 when I use this setting.

3: Energy (which is % without miles shown).

Open settings,it will be set to Ideal.

Changing this setting changes the instrument cluster display, the battery bar in the invisible car window, and the active charging progress screen.

Ok, i didn't know there was that setting in the menu. I did notice the "ideal" range was selected when returning back to the car. I changed it to "rated" and the range went down to what I was expecting it would be. This setting isn't on the model 3.