Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Systems Are Powering Up. Press Brake When This Message Clears

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get this almost every time I use the car, and the app will not wake the car. October 2018 Model S, latest software.

For the app to work I have to ensure the car is charging at the time I want to use it. However, when away from home, when car has been left all day in work car park, app works fine!!

Was your loaner AP1 or AP2? Over here most loaners are not AP2.5. For me it seems this issue together with the one where my X goes into deep sleep straight away and can't be accessed by the app seems to be related only with AP2.5 hardware.
I see the message at times, sometimes after being parked for less than an hour, and my car doesn't have any AP. I would guess that the loaner that didn't do it had "always connected" selected, or something like that.

I like my car going to sleep when it isn't being driven or charged, to reduce the drain. I don't mind waiting a few seconds for it to wake up. It does take longer to wake it with my phone from a deep sleep, but it does wake up eventually if I want to preheat or something. If the connection fails I just try again and it works the second time, assuming the car has a cell or WiFi signal.

I get this almost every time I use the car, and the app will not wake the car. October 2018 Model S, latest software.

For the app to work I have to ensure the car is charging at the time I want to use it. However, when away from home, when car has been left all day in work car park, app works fine!!

Well unfortunately over here doesn't matter where I park the car, the app has become useless once the car goes to sleep. As you said, when I am charging, no problem at all. The instant charging is completed, the app stops being able to access the car. Sometimes the app says Waking up and I just get a vehicle connection error. Funnily enough, we just got our 3 over here a couple of weeks ago and absolutely no problem in waking the car using the app on the same phone. Tesla won't give me a straight answer on the problem no matter how many times I call and no one seems particularly confident in having a quick solution to this problem.

Reactions: NikoV6
Was your loaner AP1 or AP2? Over here most loaners are not AP2.5. For me it seems this issue together with the one where my X goes into deep sleep straight away and can't be accessed by the app seems to be related only with AP2.5 hardware.
The loaner I had was AP2, though I cannot tell if it was 2.5. How would I know the difference?
It had the latest software (I actually updated it myself), so there is no option for "Always connected".

As far as the app goes, it is always slow to connect, but that may be another matter. Like I said, I can wake the car with the app, summon the car out of a spot, then still wake 30 seconds for the message to go away after I get in.

The timing of this seems completely random. This morning, I did not get the message after an overnight rest. an hour later, I got it after parking for 20 minutes.

Update: Tesla has asked for and I have given them a log of each time this message appeared. They responded to me via email this morning:

Hi again,
Thanks for your reply and for providing these details. I've recorded all details here. These timestamps are perfectly sufficient, thank you very much for following through to provide that and submitting the required Bug Reports. Through this, I was able to create a case under your VIN for investigation and have confirmed that this is a known firmware bug that our engineering team is actively developing a firmware fix for that should correct the case of the slow boot-ups you are experiencing here. The fix will automatically be pushed out to your vehicle in the form of a firmware update once ready meaning that the vehicle also is not required to be brought in to a Service Center at this time.

Thank you for your time and allowing us to address this for you as soon as possible.

I also posted this in the poll thread...

I just got the message this morning in my 2015 S60. Center panel is unresponsive and I can't drive the car. Pressing the scroll wheels and the brake pedal to reboot didn't work. Pressing the buttons above the scroll wheels to reboot the driver side display panel rebootes the driver side display but didn't fix the error message problem. And I'm in an underground parking garage so Tesla can't communicate with my car. Can't connect to wifi to hotspot with my phone because the center panel is dark. Tesla's fix is a tow to the service center, I'm waiting for the tow truck and very frustrated.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I also posted this in the poll thread...

I just got the message this morning in my 2015 S60. Center panel is unresponsive and I can't drive the car. Pressing the scroll wheels and the brake pedal to reboot didn't work. Pressing the buttons above the scroll wheels to reboot the driver side display panel rebootes the driver side display but didn't fix the error message problem. And I'm in an underground parking garage so Tesla can't communicate with my car. Can't connect to wifi to hotspot with my phone because the center panel is dark. Tesla's fix is a tow to the service center, I'm waiting for the tow truck and very frustrated.
Sorry to hear about your problems. That is very frustrating. Please let us know what they found

Posting over in this thread now, Tesla says the MCU needs to be replaced. Haven't quite owned the car four years but I've driven just over 53,000 so they are saying it is not covered under warranty. The car is not driveable.
That’s BS. They should cover that if the car isn’t even four years old. My favorite company is vicariously letting me down again.