Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Systems Are Powering Up. Press Brake When This Message Clears

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have started turning on Fan from app before heading out of house and have stopped seeing the message most of the time. As long as I give the car a few minutes and don’t rush out to it, never failed for me. Also having 3rd party apps constantly communicating with your vehicle, it seems to take less time.
This may work, but as I am running around town running errands, I think it is a little ridiculous to have to stop what I am doing to pull out my phone, launch the app, and turn the fan on. Just silly IMHO.

make sure you leave "always connected checked ON" even if you have energy saver on (this is what I do) and that decreased the frequency of the message (but on rare occasions I do still get it on the 2016 AP2 S)
I do not believe this feature is available with the current firmware. I had it previously though.

This powering up issue has reached a whole new level of absurdity.

Yesterday, I successfully summoned my car out of a tight parking spot. I stopped the summon and immediately stepped into the driver's seat, and I still got this message! I had to wait 15 seconds before I could put the car in drive!! So, summon works, yet I can't "start" the car immediately after??? WTF??!!

Yeah, I keep getting this message as well, even after I just had put my car in park, ran in to do a quick errand, come back out, and I'm sitting there, waiting for the message to clear.This happened just now. 18 MS Dec 18 build. I'll bring this up to SC on my next appointment.

well at least I can say this issue is independent of car hardware or software version as this happend to me this morning on my pre-ap 2014 S85 with old software 2018.36.2

I was impatient after 10min and did the double scroll wheel reboot.
If the IC takes more than 15 or 20 seconds to boot up or the MCU is blank, that might be a sign of immanent MCU failure. Has the MCU been replaced with a newer LTE unit in that 2014 car?

This is happening to my MS May 2018 build and my parent's MX April 2018 build. Incredibly annoying and dangerous if you happen to have the need to get in the car and go in a hurry.

The usual "boot up" wait takes about 10-15 seconds.

My Tesla also has a problem with a slow (systems are powering up) issue quite frequently. The car is used for commuting to the Marc train parking lot, the starting delay allows many other cars in the parking lot to get out ahead of me in the evening rush. It is extremely frustrating.

I bought this car because it is supposed to quick. Very disappointed about this. This slow to start issue negates the whole purpose of having this car for me. The car should begin powering up when it is unlocked, period.

Last edited:
I am curious to know if people who now get the Systems are powering up message are able to access their vehicle via the app before entering the car.

I never used to have this problem, but since December my car goes into deep sleep almost as soon as I exit. The app is unable to wake the car and has therefore become useless to me during the winter. With this issue, I also get the systems powering up message. I imagine it is because goes into deep sleep mode so quickly. I literally take 1 minute to drop off my daughter at her school and come back to find it saying systems powering up.

All I get from the service centre is that the vehicle connection error is a known issue for MCU2 cars and there is no fix at the moment. What I would like to understand is why it doesn't happen to all MCU2 cars? My sister's Model X which is 5 days older than mine does not have any of these issues.

Yes, (recently) I cannot access (wake) my car from deep sleep when the car is at home and on Wi-Fi. But, If I use the fob to unlock (wake) the car, I can then access it through Wi-Fi at home.

However, I can access (wake it up from deep sleep) it when it is parked miles away from my house with 4G.

I wonder is this issue is related to the slow "systems are powering up" issue I am experiencing frequently. Somebody at Tesla needs to get on these issues. It`s not good for business.
My Tesla also has a problem with a slow (systems are powering up) issue quite frequently. The car is used for commuting to the Marc train parking lot, the starting delay allows many other cars in the parking lot to get out ahead of me in the evening rush. It is extremely frustrating.

I bought this car because it is supposed to quick. Very disappointed about this. This slow to start issue negates the whole purpose of having this car for me. The car should begin powering up when it is unlocked, period.

Last edited:
I found a work around to the delay because of the "Systems Are Powering Up.." message. I was actually getting this error about 3 out of 4 times I would drive. It only lasted about 10 secs compared to 45 or more I seen in this thread, but it was getting really annoying.

I summon the car out as I am walking to it, maybe 50 feet away? Once the front door passes the car it is parked next to I let go the button and by then I am at the door to get in. When I "start" the car to drive, it hasn't had this message the past three days. If you are paralleled parked, it would be tougher to do since the amount you can move the car forward is limited. But could try to get it to move forward a few inches by immediately stop pressing the button once the car lights turn on and start to move. I recommend to be very careful when doing this so you don't hit any other cars and make sure no cars are oncoming to your vehicle because of obvious reasons, but just wanted to share what I found is working for me.

I found a work around to the delay because of the "Systems Are Powering Up.." message. I was actually getting this error about 3 out of 4 times I would drive. It only lasted about 10 secs compared to 45 or more I seen in this thread, but it was getting really annoying.

I summon the car out as I am walking to it, maybe 50 feet away? Once the front door passes the car it is parked next to I let go the button and by then I am at the door to get in. When I "start" the car to drive, it hasn't had this message the past three days. If you are paralleled parked, it would be tougher to do since the amount you can move the car forward is limited. But could try to get it to move forward a few inches by immediately stop pressing the button once the car lights turn on and start to move. I recommend to be very careful when doing this so you don't hit any other cars and make sure no cars are oncoming to your vehicle because of obvious reasons, but just wanted to share what I found is working for me.
I tried this as I posted up-thread. It did not work for me. I was actually stunned that the car could drive (e.g.: summon), yet give me this message the moment I stepped in and put my foot on the brake pedal.

Tesla Customer Support has reached out to me. They have asked me to keep a log and submit a bug report when this happens so that they can capture a screen shot. Only problem: the bug report feature does not work until after the message clears.

Man, I've been getting this message almost every time I get into the car now. Argh....
Call Tesla!!! Please. Everyone who gets this message needs to report it. Perhaps they can find a commonality. The loaner car I had last month had the latest software and never once had this issue. This has to be vehicle specific; perhaps a specific combination of software and hardware.

Call Tesla!!! Please. Everyone who gets this message needs to report it. Perhaps they can find a commonality. The loaner car I had last month had the latest software and never once had this issue. This has to be vehicle specific; perhaps a specific combination of software and hardware.

Was your loaner AP1 or AP2? Over here most loaners are not AP2.5. For me it seems this issue together with the one where my X goes into deep sleep straight away and can't be accessed by the app seems to be related only with AP2.5 hardware.