Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Tap keycard to allow driving”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently my Model 3 started giving the “tap key card to allow driving” notification every time I get in the car. I use a fob that is still connected to the car and works as it always has. However after using it to unlock the car and getting in, the notification pops up to use the key card.

The funny part is I don't even have to use my key card to put the car into drive. I just tap the break and go and the notification disappears until the next time I get in the car. This happens when using both my phone or fob as the key. I’ve tried unpairing/repairing them with no luck. Any idea what might be happening here? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Recently my Model 3 started giving the “tap key card to allow driving” notification every time I get in the car. I use a fob that is still connected to the car and works as it always has. However after using it to unlock the car and getting in, the notification pops up to use the key card.

The funny part is I don't even have to use my key card to put the car into drive. I just tap the break and go and the notification disappears until the next time I get in the car. This happens when using both my phone or fob as the key. I’ve tried unpairing/repairing them with no luck. Any idea what might be happening here? Thanks in advance.
I had this happen one day when I had Bluetooth issues on my phone. Had to reboot my phone to fix it.

I had this happen one day when I had Bluetooth issues on my phone. Had to reboot my phone to fix the problem
Ive tried that and also use a key fob with a new battery. The thing is that I dont actually need to use the key card when it says to. It gives the notification, I press the brake and put in drive and go, all without using a key card (because I have my fob on me).

happens to me sometimes. iphone 12 pro. gotta turn off Bluetooth on the phone and turn it back on and it'll recognize it. usually wont happen again for a while. i notice it does happen sometimes when my phone is on my work wifi, and when I walk out to the car sometimes its still in range of the wifi and it wont let me in the car.

happens to me sometimes. iphone 12 pro. gotta turn off Bluetooth on the phone and turn it back on and it'll recognize it. usually wont happen again for a while. i notice it does happen sometimes when my phone is on my work wifi, and when I walk out to the car sometimes its still in range of the wifi and it wont let me in the car.
I can get in my car and start driving perfectly every time as always with my fob/phone. The only problem is that the key card notification always pops up, even though I dont ACTUALLY need the key card. I just press the brake and shift into drive because I have my fob/phone.

I have never actually had to use my key card. Basically the notification that pops up is a lie. It is a minor annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless.