Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Toxic Bro Culture”: Former Rivian executive speaks out, sues company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“Toxic Bro Culture”: Former Rivian executive speaks out, sues company

Laura Schwab was sales and marketing VP at the startup until last month.​

A white Rivian R1T truck drives up a trail

Enlarge / The friendly look of Rivian's electric truck is at odds with allegations of a toxic bro culture at the startup.
Jonathan Gitlin

On Thursday afternoon, former Rivian VP of Sales and Marketing Laura Schwab published a blistering account of her experience at electric vehicle maker Rivian. Schwab moved to the startup in November 2020 after a lengthy career at Jaguar Land Rover and Aston Martin. Almost immediately, she began to experience a "toxic bro culture that marginalizes women and contributes to the company making mistakes," she says.

Rivian has painted an image of itself as a blend of automaker and tech startup, but Schwab says that the actual culture at the company was that of a "boys club" surrounding founder and CEO RJ Scaringe. She writes that she was sidelined and excluded from decision-making, despite being hired specifically because of her experience in automotive marketing. Schwab is suing the company for gender discrimination.

Schwab says that her boss, Chief Commercial Officer Jiten Behl, told her "he would only communicate with me by instant messenger and that would be outside office hours, 'late in the evening.'" Schwab says that after raising her concerns with another female Rivian executive, that woman was also excluded from meetings.

Schwab says that the female HR person she brought her concerns to also complained about being sidelined and ignored by Behl. Two days later, Schwab and Behl finally met in person for the first time in many months, at which point she was fired.

In her account, Schwab says that "it is simply not credible that the company would eliminate the executive responsible for sales and marketing just as Rivian was beginning to sell vehicles and was on the eve of an IPO. And a vastly growing company that was hiring over 200 new employees a week does not eliminate high performers without some ulterior motive. I had witnessed less qualified male colleagues be shifted around in an effort to keep them at Rivian."

Schwab's former boss at Aston Martin, Dr. Andy Palmer, defended her, saying that she "is one of the most professional Sales & Marketing Execs I’ve had the pleasure to work with. I’ve no idea why you’d hire someone of this quality and then not listen to them!"

Rivian declined to comment on the matter, citing the quiet period of its upcoming IPO, where it hopes to raise $8.4 billion.

A company that sees itself as "part automaker, part tech startup", has a corporate culture that is similar to "tech bro" culture of other tech startups? I am not surprised at all at my lack of surprise (lol).

A lot of companies have such a culture (and have had it for a long time). The only difference now is, there are people who will speak out and expose it. Previously, people would just not say anything, because they wouldnt want to get blacklisted.

Reactions: RSpanner and tm1v2
Comment under Laura Schwab's "blistering account" says it all :) :

You know it's going to be a wild ride when the author opens with "Women are not given the linear paths to success that many men take for granted."
If you are a man and misplaced your linear-path-to-success ticket, please put up your hand so a new one can be issued :)

Looks to me that she is one of those people who got promoted way too early in her previous job, leading her to believe that wherever she goes she will be treated as a star, when it did not happen in a new job, she blamed "toxic culture" ... this BTW is a tell-tell expression of victimhood-monetizers because sounds dramatic yet does not mean anything specific.

Reactions: Spacep0d
Without knowing all of the facts, may be this is a time to reevaluate and be sure they are more inclusive and accepting, no matter what you look like, your gender or orientation. Keep it professional and courteous. Problem solved.
Yep. Thats exactly the problem ... knowing the facts. If we do not have facts why there is the blog and then article about the blog and then post about article about the blog :)? Coincidentally... just around IPO date.

And ... there are no facts about being unprofessional or uncourteous in the blog, I've read it and can summarize her blog post as follows:

1. People, who BTW had LOTS of money on the line, did not think Schwab's ideas will work. (Believe me when money is to be made, people will steal good ideas, never mind listen to them.)
2. Instead of listening, Schwab got more vocal.
3. So people avoided the problem by stopping inviting her to the meetings.

Courtesy is inviting lonely relative to Thanksgiving, not inviting VP to the meeting where you think s/he will be disruptive is not lack of courtesy ... if anything it is a courtesy not to invite such person to a meeting where they will feel uncomfortable or confronted.

I am surprised how much traction this type of generalized mud slinging is getting. It is like TESLAQ.

My outlook is short on Rivian, but I do not like how this is played just around IPO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spacep0d