Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Wash-by-handers” in Northeast, what do you do in the Winter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love washing my own car. It's like meditation to me and I also know I'm not scratching the crap out of the car by doing it myself.

I've had my car since June and wash it myself about every 2 to 3 weeks. But the upcoming winter is giving my shivers before it even gets cold. Here in the northeast, we remove the hoses and winterize the outdoor faucets.

So does this mean my car stays dirty for up to five months until I can wash it in the Spring? Or do you guys cheat and take it to a car wash?

EDIT: Cars get WAY too dirty in the winter here to use water-less/rinse-less in the winter. It would still scratch.
I use the drive-through car wash with no contact. Spray only, no scratchy brushes or fabric strips to damage the paint. My last car had an extensive vinyl flame package down both sides of the car. After 12 years of drive-through car washes, the vinyl was in great shape, except for door dings. Those car washes are very gentle and effective.

I try not to be in the Northeast in winter, having paid my dues years ago and then some. However, last I was in British Columbia, I found a garage-doored car wash with *hot* water for USD$0.82.

It. Was. Glorious.

I travel with a 2-gallon manual pump foamer, a couple gallons of distilled water (for car foaming and windshield wiper reservoir), and the usual lotions and potions for paint, glass, plastic/rubber/wood trim, and leather. Washing and drying the exterior is done in just under an hour. Quite the zenlike 2 hours/month.