Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“We’ll now connect you to the nearest Service Center based on your area code” $!&@?!&#%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
<rant>
Gah! I’m so flipping frustrated. Like all of you, I have the Tesla Motors Toll Free Number saved so I’m set for Roadside Assistance and scheduling with the Service Center.

I typically call Roadside Assistance while I’m on the road...duh..

And I try to schedule my Service Center items while I’m on Autopilot on my 20 mile commute.

So, where’s where my frustration begins over the last month...

Tesla introduced a change to their IVR (Interactive Voice Response system) which interrogates your inbound call area code and routes your call to the perceived closest service dispatch call center when you select Service (1-877-798-3752 then 2 then 3).

My cell phone is a Nashville / Fort Campbell area code from when I was stationed there in the Army 12 years ago.... I’ve since lived in Georgia, Kansas, and now Texas while keeping my number.

Well, the IVR gives me this fun message: “We’ll now connect you to the nearest Service Center based on your area code” without any ability to override. I’m then connected to the Nashville team.

That routing is annoying but would be ok if the Nashville team could route me to my local team in Texas. However, they can’t automatically route/transfer my call.

Now my annoyance turns into frustration. I have to grab my phone and go to notepad so I can copy the number. Then hang up and call the ‘right’ number.

Well, huzzah! I’m now calling the right number, but after 8 rings, I go to voicemail and am asked to give name, phone number, last 6 digits of VIN.

Blarg. I feel like this technology has put hurdles in front of me all morning long

</rant>

I'm just frustrated that this 'feature' has put hurdles in front of me... :-/

Why not just put the number for your local service center in your phone?

It's in the second paragraph of the OP

I typically call Roadside Assistance while I’m on the road

Doesn't do him much good to call his home location when he is in another state. The phone system assumes he is in his home state no matter what.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Yeah, that is USELESS in this day and age, based on cell phone portability. Someone with no knowledge of modern telecom set that up... OMG is all I can say (ran PBXs for years....).\

Anyone have a good address to complain to about this? This idea is strictly from the landline days....
Hi @boaterva ... I totally get the value of this feature for >50% of Tesla owners... but I think that the edge population is significant enough that it's worth designing around...

I'm still a Tesla fan... I just wanted to vent this morning.

Why not just put the number for your local service center in your phone?

Which Service Center do you use? In Texas, they actively avoid giving direct lines to the Service Center for inbound requests. Tesla staff's and operates a central dispatch center for service that covers Dallas, Austin, San Antonio I believe...

But again to the core point, that seems to be an awkward way to work around the issue... Multiple saved Tesla phone numbers because the primary Toll Free Number isnt meeting needs in all cases.

And? He said he wants to be connected to his home location in Texas. Why not skip the first step and just call the service center directly?

Should the phone system be set up to only handle one use case?

He brought up the behavior of the phone system as a frustration. I have to imagine that it frustrates others as well. I won't assume every one of those wants to call their home state service center.

Reactions: MajorCuddles
You can send comments to [email protected]. Also I just normally call my service center directly and leave a message if they can't answer. Service center numbers should be listed either on Tesla.com or on your maps app (such as Google Maps or iPhone Maps).
Thanks for that comment!
Here's what I see with a quick test of that approach:
Tesla home page- gives the toll free number.
Google maps- gives the local number. (crowdsourced?)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 11.59.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 11.59.59 AM.png
    127.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 12.01.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 12.01.48 PM.png
    117.9 KB · Views: 46
Which Service Center do you use? In Texas, they actively avoid giving direct lines to the Service Center for inbound requests. Tesla staff's and operates a central dispatch center for service that covers Dallas, Austin, San Antonio I believe...
You can thank TADA and its wholly-owned subsidiary, the Texas Legislature, for having to call California in order to talk to your local Tesla service center.

Before, the 877 number would just connect you to the nearest SC based off area code without telling you. I wasted a ton of time describing my problems over the phone to a service tech (who was super nice and polite), but like midway through when we were working on the logistics I sensed some duress in his voice, and eventually he's like "I need to check with my manager but I don't know if we can dispatch a flatbed that far…"

And that's when I found out he was in Cleveland OH trying to help me in California…. :D

Hi @boaterva ... I totally get the value of this feature for >50% of Tesla owners... but I think that the edge population is significant enough that it's worth designing around...

I'm still a Tesla fan... I just wanted to vent this morning.
Might have jumped the gun a little, if this is for 'your' SC, the best way is probably to just save the number. I first thought it was all location based services (based on your cell areacode), which would be really bad.

If you don't know what SC you have/want, the fall back is areacode. I think a better idea would be to use GPS, but that's perhaps an integration nightmare. :D

Still, assuming your areacode means *anything* nowadays is not too smart. (One of my physicians has her cell phone number from when she was a resident (both meanings) in Boston. Don't think think that sort of lookup would help her in Virginia! :D)

Reactions: MajorCuddles