Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Winter Storm” Inga

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like this is going to be a big deal in central Texas. Commuting from Austin to Temple and folks apparently don’t have that much confidence in public anti-ice measures. First Tesla and first awd car for me, and I’ve been in the northeast who would laugh at this level of drama.

Does it really get that bad? Any driving tips unique to model S?

It's not so much the snow, but black ice can form easily on the overpasses and bridges. I recon not everyone has a choice, but on those rare days we have an inclement weather in Texas I don't take my chances. I might be confident of my car and attention to road conditions, but I don't extend that trust to other commuters.

If you really have to, follow the advice @trace has provided. Keep the safe distance and don't use TACC/AP if the road is not clear.

Reactions: brkaus and vrykolas
I’ve been in the northeast who would laugh at this level of drama.

We lived in Wisconsin and Illinois before moving to Corpus Christi in '82. On the drive down we'd stopped the night in Dallas to visit family friends - a small amount of snow dropped overnight and we were flabbergasted that the city shut down. Having lived here since then we now understand that there's minimal equipment to deal with snow and ice as it doesn't occur often enough to warrant the investment.

A year or two later we were caught off guard when the water pipes in the garage burst due to freezing weather as we'd never had an issue like that occur up north. More expensive faucets are used up north which cut the water off inside the wall, the ones down here cut it off within the faucet itself. So I keep a set of these to protect my faucets on days like today (we're supposed to get below 20F tonight!):
IMG_9713.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Xd85 and arcus