TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

”This Test Shows Why Tesla Autopilot Crashes Keep Happening”

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by 12Pack, Jun 14, 2018.

1. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

Good to hear. The only (that I can remember) Phantom Brake I have had on AP1 is when passing a truck. My best-guess is that AP1 thinks the gap is too tight. There isn't acres of room, but the truck is in lane, and its a dual carriageway, so "not tight" by my way of thinking ... and more importantly to me "Looks the same sized gap as every other truck we passed". Probably the lorry is a different colour, taller or casting a shadow differently (but never had a problem on AP1 with shadows etc., per se).

I would say (very subjectively) it happens about once every 500 miles

2. NoBeard

NoBeard Member

Not really good at posting links and stuff but if one heads over to:
    Thatcham Research
    One can see lots of interesting videos including of many failing safety systems.

3. Mark_T

Mark_T Member

I've recently had the chance to experience the current AP type features in the latest Volvo and Mercedes cars and it was not great.

Of the two, Mercedes did the best in that we weren't rapidly looking for how to turn it all off as we had to do with the Volvo.

The Volvo actively tried to kill us several times within the first few miles of driving (repeatedly slamming on the brakes as we passed under overpasses where the road above had a slower speed limit), Mercedes only tried it twice and in circumstances where with hindsight it could be predicted (passing through roadworks where a random white line had been painted at an angle across the lane we were travelling in).

• Like x 1
  4. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

Yep, agree the new Volvo XC90 Pilot Assist (or whatever they call it) is not very impressive compared to Tesla AP2. The Autosteer functionality was abysmal when I tried it last Autumn.