Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

🤷🏻 What is this!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all.

I’m new to the Tesla family and have a question regarding the charging status screen. Sorry if this is a stupid question!

Can someone please tell me what the #3 in a Grey circle means next to the kWh!?

I have looked in the user manual but can’t seem to find anything. I’m currently changing on a public charge and haven’t seen this when changing at home.

Thanks all

P.S. love driving a Tesla đź‘Ź

Attachments

• 2F2DBA49-C23B-48F9-ABD8-1C89AEF4320B.jpeg
    2F2DBA49-C23B-48F9-ABD8-1C89AEF4320B.jpeg
    603.8 KB · Views: 345
That's a great result! I got a free Smart EV charger via some research project our DNO was conducting at the time, but no 3-phase. It would be nice to have, but not essential even for our 2 EVs. We tend to charge ours on alternate nights and both are doing approx 12-15k miles per annum.

I agree, it's a nice to have... for most people alternating one charger between two cars is good enough... or 3 pin plug trickle charging the other car.

But then I thought, ahh why not. Having two chargers:-

- Provides redundancy should one Charger fail or become faulty.

- Charges both cars at the same time, without reduced power load-balancing. No need for 'who's turn is it tonight' situations.

- When guests or family arrive or stay overnight, we can still recharge their car rapidly on 3 phase, without disrupting our car charging.

- If back to back long travel days are required, for unscheduled family support events, Hospital Visits, business meetings etc... 3 phase charging is just nice, especially all at off-peak costs and no change to your normal charging routine.

- If Ev Tariff low-cost periods start to tighten up or rolling blackouts during storms, with multiple fast charging options, you can still benefit from shorter charge opportunities.

For me, 3 Phase is definitely a recommended winner.

Reactions: Peteski
Upvote 0
Could not see the page difference when searching and loading on the phone, but can see the difference now on a laptop - which is why I said I was surprised to learn that!
I find that it's often pot luck which part of the Tesla website you end up in so I try to remember to look for clues as to whether it's UK/USA. Anyway the US site may apply to us too and you may have sourced the most up-to-date information on the charging rates on the new replacement for the SR+. I'm now curious to know what rate the new Model 3 RWD (as supplied to the UK) can charge at when using a 3 phase charge point!

Upvote 0
I agree, it's a nice to have... for most people alternating one charger between two cars is good enough... or 3 pin plug trickle charging the other car.

But then I thought, ahh why not. Having two chargers:-

- Provides redundancy should one Charger fail or become faulty.

- Charges both cars at the same time, without reduced power load-balancing. No need for 'who's turn is it tonight' situations.

- When guests or family arrive or stay overnight, we can still recharge their car rapidly on 3 phase, without disrupting our car charging.

- If back to back long travel days are required, for unscheduled family support events, Hospital Visits, business meetings etc... 3 phase charging is just nice, especially all at off-peak costs and no change to your normal charging routine.

- If Ev Tariff low-cost periods start to tighten up, with multiple fast charging options, you can still benefit from shorter charge opportunities.
Agreed, as long as there isn't a ÂŁ10k bill involved up front, which there could well be for many! I would have done the same in your situation and added a second charger.

Upvote 0
Agreed, as long as there isn't a ÂŁ10k bill involved up front, which there could well be for many! I would have done the same in your situation and added a second charger.

Indeed.

I would've still had two chargers even on Single Phase... but they would've been load-balanced at 3.5 kW each... when used together...

Having said that, at this point the 3 Pin Plug trickle charger isn't far off that power... and at least allows the 7kW to stay at that level.

Still a benefit, but a lot slower.

Even our Ev electrician confessed to being a bit green with envy on the installation, so I know I got very lucky...

Last edited:
Reactions: Peteski
Upvote 0
So I agreed, and that's how we got our 3 Phase Cable upgrade for free.

I say it's a trick... because on our housing estate, there's about 100 houses and a lot are on Looped supplies. Every one of them could be upgraded to 3 Phase for free, if they trigger the DNO for an Ev Charger install.

I've mentioned this to my Neighbours , but none of them are bothered, which is a shame, because I don't know how long our DNO will keep doing this.
Thats incredible considering most times a DNO won’t even upgrade someone’s mains amp free of charge which is a 15 minute job and a cheap, standardised part.

We already have our charger so I don’t hold out much hope but brb, just emailing our DNO…

Upvote 0
Thats incredible considering most times a DNO won’t even upgrade someone’s mains amp free of charge which is a 15 minute job and a cheap, standardised part.

We already have our charger so I don’t hold out much hope but brb, just emailing our DNO…

Yep... all changes once a 'Government Scheme' is introduced...

They'll very happily spend somebody elses money... :D

Our DNO told me that we were a pathfinder site... and they'll most likely now upgrade all 'looped supplies' to 3 phase where ev chargers are involved.

So I'd like to think, I started something good.

Reactions: Overworked
Upvote 0