Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0-60/30-50/50-70 comparative times for 70D/85D/P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My thoughts exactly. In the last month, I had 2 people that were about to buy a Tesla and both times, I made them realize that the PXXD was more of a publicity stunt / novelty than anything else. The non-P version (85D or 90D) goes farther on a charge and is very fast (which wasn't the case when I got mine but since the upgrade, this car is now "with the big guys").

My car configuration is hovering around $127K CAD right now... The same config, with the P is $151K. That's $24 000. Well worth it when the 85D made 376HP but now they are so close... I totally understand the frustrated P85D owners...

I was on the fence between both when I ordered but now I'm convinced the 85D is a better deal. (but since I own one, I'm totally biased :D)

I don't know if it is fair to say it was a publicity stunt. Did they do it in part to gain publicity? yes I'm sure they did, but there is a market for cars that have power and the PxxD is more powerful. Especially the P90D 30+. I'd like to say comparing the 85D to the P85D is like comparing a 5 series to a M5, but I do know the power of the P85D did drop off after 30 so that isn't apples to apples.

I don't know if it is fair to say it was a publicity stunt. Did they do it in part to gain publicity? yes I'm sure they did, but there is a market for cars that have power and the PxxD is more powerful. Especially the P90D 30+. I'd like to say comparing the 85D to the P85D is like comparing a 5 series to a M5, but I do know the power of the P85D did drop off after 30 so that isn't apples to apples.

I agree. I don't consider the P90DL a publicity stunt either. It is in supercar performance realm, but my point is that for most folks (I'd imagine) the 85D/90D are "enough" performance. Would I have liked the P90DL ... absolutely, but I personally couldn't quite justify the delta in price. Maybe when I trade up to the P120DP in a few years. :smile:

I might have been exaggerating but now that the P85D uses the same suspension as the 85D, doing the 5Series to M5 is not quite accurate(wasn't the case when it came out and it was one of the main reason I did NOT buy a P85D - I have back problems and can't stand a stiff suspension).

It makes me wonder if the P90D (note the underscore) is similar or not : did you compare your shock assembly P/N with late P85D (or any D model) ?. I'd be curious to see if the Ludicrous upgrade comes with upgraded suspension. There is no mention of that in the design studio.

But you are correct, the PXXD with Ludicrous is well worth the extra performance - its just that the "regular" PXXD is underwhelming at high speed, especially compared to the 85D (almost the same).

I believe the Ludicrous upgrade makes the flagship much more relevant as a niche market super performer. It's what the P85D should have been!

Tired of the mine vs yours. P85D eats P85+'and 85D alive. Anyone that wants to try just ping me...

LOL, sure thing, a P85D is faster* than all the other Model S. That wasn't the point :D.

*faster in acceleration because unlike the P85D, the 85D can keep it's top speed until the battery dies... it does not get the "speed is in RED" over 235km/h ;)

But hey, mine is bigger than yours :D

Great thread. I have a 2014 85 and just configured a P90D. After going through this thread and a few others, I'm seriously thinking of changing the order to a 90D. AND it is not just the $20,000 savings (although everyone would like to save 20K) it just doesn't seem to make good sense (maybe). So……………… giving it some serious thought!

I might have been exaggerating but now that the P85D uses the same suspension as the 85D, doing the 5Series to M5 is not quite accurate(wasn't the case when it came out and it was one of the main reason I did NOT buy a P85D - I have back problems and can't stand a stiff suspension).

It makes me wonder if the P90D (note the underscore) is similar or not : did you compare your shock assembly P/N with late P85D (or any D model) ?. I'd be curious to see if the Ludicrous upgrade comes with upgraded suspension. There is no mention of that in the design studio.

But you are correct, the PXXD with Ludicrous is well worth the extra performance - its just that the "regular" PXXD is underwhelming at high speed, especially compared to the 85D (almost the same).

I believe the Ludicrous upgrade makes the flagship much more relevant as a niche market super performer. It's what the P85D should have been!

No suspension change, but they did start putting staggered wheels back on like older P85Ds and P85+. I have driven a both a P85+ and my P90D down a twisty road not far from where I live, and I haven't noticed a huge huge difference. It's possible the P85+ holds slightly better, but I think the bigger issue is the air suspension.

In a car with coils, when the body raises up the spring also works in the other direction keeping the body closer to the frame. With SAS it seems that the body lifts up and then washes around a bit more until the baffles catch the car again. New to air suspension so right now I'm basing it on what I feel when I drive compared to other cars I've driven.

If I take it through a nice smooth corner with no bumpers it drives like it is on rails. Maybe a little body roll, but it just holds. If there is a bump in the corner, the body will raise up and it will become a bit washy until it recovers. It isn't horrible, but I can see someone overreacting to the feeling and thinking they are going to flip. Having the setting on low also makes a difference in corners from what I've experienced.

We are lucky that all models look the same, so there's no need to feel like you need to pay more for a car you think looks better. Like buying an AMG when you don't really need the power, but prefer the appearance.

All Teslas have power. The P85+ wasn't what I wanted so I got the P90D, but I bet the 90D would be better for me than the P85+ because of the dual motors and traction. In the end it is what you want and what you need. I'm 33, single, don't have kids, and I live 2.5mi from my office... my priorities are different, but I'd probably still get the P90D because I prefer the feel of it in all speed ranges and in corners.

The data geek in me really wants to get my hands on every model Tesla ever produced and gather all the charging, range, and performance data using a constant set of parameters like driver, location, etc. Then create a single page comparing it all with the knowledge controls were in place to make it as fair a comparison as possible.

The data geek in me really wants to get my hands on every model Tesla ever produced and gather all the charging, range, and performance data using a constant set of parameters like driver, location, etc. Then create a single page comparing it all with the knowledge controls were in place to make it as fair a comparison as possible.

You sound like a Data Scientist. I bet Tesla is doing some neast things with data analytics!

Updated the performance thread with the numbers, but I have a new 0-60 time

0-60 3.168s
0-60 2.810s (1ft)
30-60 1.726s

Asked sorka to analyze the VBOX data to get the other speed ranges.

From the file you gave me, the best 30-60 was 1.73 which is probably exactly the same one as your 1.726 above which was crunched by vboxverify vs PBox Tools.

The best 50-70 was 1.72 seconds. My best is 1.9 seconds so the P90DL is a big improvement.

Note, this is passing through the 50-70 zone under full acceleration. It is not time starting from 50 and then slamming the pedal and timing what it takes to accelerate to 70 from a static 50 so it represents the fastest 50-70 testing method you can do. I'm not sure where the previous 1.65 seconds came from but I can't believe that was ever measured from a P85D.

0-60 and 30-50 times for 90D

Just did a 0-60 run using the PowerTools app on iPhone for my 90D.
Had to extrapolate the 60 time since it was between 59 and 62, but should be close enough.

90D with 19inch wheel
Odometer255.9
Elevation101ft
0-603.9
30-501.25
HP493

- - - Updated - - -

That was weird, the spread sheet didn't get copied. Manually posting.
Odometer 255.9
Elevation 101 ft
time

- - - Updated - - -

0 40.24
30 42.06
50 43.31
60 44.14

0-60 is 3.9 seconds
30-50 is 1.25 seconds
max HP is 493

Subscribed and time to add the Model X to the 0-60 list.

tesla-model-x-signature-series-specs-750x499.jpg

Last edited:
90D with 19inch wheel
RUN 1RUN 2RUN 3AVERAGE
0-301.831.751.81.79
0-603.913.923.8753.90
30-501.251.311.21.25
HP493481481485

- - - Updated - - -

90D with 19inch wheel

RUN 1 RUN 2 RUN 3 AVERAGE

0-30 1.83 1.75 1.8 1.79