Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0-60/30-50/50-70 comparative times for 70D/85D/P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tested how? Is your 4.4 number with the 1 ft rollout? If not, then subtract about 0.25 seconds to get your 0-60 time with the 1 foot rollout which is how how tesla specs it.

That said, you should still be able to get a 3.9 or so with a 1 foot rollout assuming your battery is warm and that you're at 80% or more SOC. If this was a PXXD, you'd need to be at least 90% SOC to see maximum performance.

Are you using Powertools to log the power? You should see around 375 KW if your getting maximum power.

This logic doesn't make sense at all. A 1 foot roll out serves no purpose if you are measuring a single car's performance, other than massaging your ego. It's. It your actual 0-60 time.

This logic doesn't make sense at all. A 1 foot roll out serves no purpose if you are measuring a single car's performance, other than massaging your ego. It's. It your actual 0-60 time.

I agree completely. But that's the standard used here in the US so that's what you need to use if you want to compare apples with apples otherwise you'd be comparing apples with kiwis ;)

SOC and temp is crucial.
Add a stripped down car without pano and frunk liner à la motortrend
Add sticky dragstrip
Heat the battery
Stomp the pedal like crazy
Subtract rollout
Voila you´re at 3.4 sec for the 90D?

SOC and temp is crucial.
Add a stripped down car without pano and frunk liner à la motortrend
Add sticky dragstrip
Heat the battery
Stomp the pedal like crazy
Subtract rollout
Voila you´re at 3.4 sec for the 90D?

For a "mere" 90D (or 85D, as I have), a sticky drag strip won't make any difference, as the car can't approach the limit of traction on a dry, paved surface. (Different story for the P100D, of course.)

Also, Tesla's 4.2s number is w/o the 1-foot rollout (or very conservatively stated). There are numerous documented 0-60 runs of 85D/90Ds in the 3.9s range (presumably with the 1-foot rollout, but I'm not certain of that). Tesla only seems to quote the Ps with the 1-foot rollout, because, of course, it makes those times quite a bit better.

Pano might make a slight difference, but I can't imagine the frunk liner would make any measurable difference. Far and away the factors with the most influence on 0-60 times are SOC and battery temp. (100% SOC on a 95F day is just about ideal.)

For a "mere" 90D (or 85D, as I have), a sticky drag strip won't make any difference, as the car can't approach the limit of traction on a dry, paved surface. (Different story for the P100D, of course.)

Also, Tesla's 4.2s number is w/o the 1-foot rollout (or very conservatively stated). There are numerous documented 0-60 runs of 85D/90Ds in the 3.9s range (presumably with the 1-foot rollout, but I'm not certain of that). Tesla only seems to quote the Ps with the 1-foot rollout, because, of course, it makes those times quite a bit better.

Pano might make a slight difference, but I can't imagine the frunk liner would make any measurable difference. Far and away the factors with the most influence on 0-60 times are SOC and battery temp. (100% SOC on a 95F day is just about ideal.)

From the previous testing by benf in this thread, it is evident that 90D is traction limited from a dead stop 0-10 mph.
A dragstrip would probably make 0.2s difference.
Launchmode would add 0.1-0.2s.
Max battery heat maybe also 0.1-0.2s

From the previous testing by benf in this thread, it is evident that 90D is traction limited from a dead stop 0-10 mph.
A dragstrip would probably make 0.2s difference.
Launchmode would add 0.1-0.2s.
Max battery heat maybe also 0.1-0.2s

I believe the traction issue is handled by a programatic current ramp to keep from "blowing off" the tires. I've had current ramps overlay from launches on dramatically different surfaces right up until traction is lost (due to poor surface quality or being wet).

I've had a P85D for about 10 days now. I'll get my actual car (85D) tomorrow (hopefully). I don't have numbers, but I should be able to tell you guys a seat of the pants comparison of the acceleration on both cars, which is what matters to me.

According to the table comparable times from 85D to P85D is 3.86 vs 3.5 seconds (no rollout), which I am quite sure is not correct; but if it were to be correct, the 85D's stomped acceleration feeling from a standstill should be actually pretty close to the P85D. I'll get the car and see if that is the case.

I've had a P85D for about 10 days now. I'll get my actual car (85D) tomorrow (hopefully). I don't have numbers, but I should be able to tell you guys a seat of the pants comparison of the acceleration on both cars, which is what matters to me.

According to the table comparable times from 85D to P85D is 3.86 vs 3.5 seconds (no rollout), which I am quite sure is not correct; but if it were to be correct, the 85D's stomped acceleration feeling from a standstill should be actually pretty close to the P85D. I'll get the car and see if that is the case.

I've had my 85D for almost two years. I received a P85D loaner a while back when my car needed service. I can tell you the thrust of the launch from a standstill is significantly stronger with the P85D, and this was a car that has at least some restrictions on it from the SvC. (It wouldn't go faster than about 82MPH, and if the car had the L upgrade, it wasn't available to me.) From a stop, the P85D has a much more "violent" launch even without launch mode. It also has a fair bit more punch at 30MPH.

Don't get too used to that P85D's acceleration, else you might be somewhat disappointed with your 85D. ;)

Reactions: byeLT4
I've had my 85D for almost two years. I received a P85D loaner a while back when my car needed service. I can tell you the thrust of the launch from a standstill is significantly stronger with the P85D, and this was a car that has at least some restrictions on it from the SvC. (It wouldn't go faster than about 82MPH, and if the car had the L upgrade, it wasn't available to me.) From a stop, the P85D has a much more "violent" launch even without launch mode. It also has a fair bit more punch at 30MPH.

Don't get too used to that P85D's acceleration, else you might be somewhat disappointed with your 85D. ;)

Oh I'm certain the 85D is nothing like the P85D, but from the numbers on this thread it sounds like it should be almost close, which I'm sure it isn't.

I've been... lucky that they gave me a placeholder P85D, because my 85D was taking too long to deliver, but it's both a blessing and a curse, as like you said it'll be very hard to not be disappointed with the 85D, which is gonna be my actual car.

Although - in life whenever I do/get something I try to skip the middle and go for the best, which tends to leave you unfulfilled and saying 'what now'; so maybe this time the 85D will make me happy but still low-key knowing that there's something better out there that needs to be eventually attained, something better to look forward to. Sounds kind of exciting to be honest:)

I believe the traction issue is handled by a programatic current ramp to keep from "blowing off" the tires. I've had current ramps overlay from launches on dramatically different surfaces right up until traction is lost (due to poor surface quality or being wet).

After driving the P85D I mention above, it's quite obvious that there is a current ramp on my 85D that is much less aggressive than on the P85D. (Both vehicles driven on dry pavement, although colder and with crappier tiers on the P85D, which should work against it.) I don't know if that's a limitation of the motors or a de-tuning on the non-P cars, or both. Of course, the non-P models have the smaller rear motor than the P models, so it's not unrealistic that the motor is the limiting factor.

Oh I'm certain the 85D is nothing like the P85D, but from the numbers on this thread it sounds like it should be almost close, which I'm sure it isn't.

The 85D is no slouch, and unless you're hot-footing it everywhere, you'll get used to the 85D's launch, which is still very respectable. And the difference between 3.9 and 3.5 is larger than it seems—it's a difference of about 35' at 60MPH, and from a stop, a P85D will probably be about 50' ahead of an 85D after 3.5 seconds. That's more than 2 car lengths.

Although - in life whenever I do/get something I try to skip the middle and go for the best, which tends to leave you unfulfilled and saying 'what now'; so maybe this time the 85D will make me happy but still low-key knowing that there's something better out there that needs to be eventually attained, something better to look forward to. Sounds kind of exciting to be honest:)

Honestly, at this point, the P85D is now a "middle" model, too, given the capabilities of the P100D. The P85D is closer to the 85D than the P100D in both 0-60 and the 1/4-mile. You won't be disappointed with your 85D, and for what you save in "P" vs. "non-P", you can afford a whole Model 3! (At least when new. I imagine the gap is a somewhat less on the used market.)

The 85D is no slouch, and unless you're hot-footing it everywhere, you'll get used to the 85D's launch, which is still very respectable. And the difference between 3.9 and 3.5 is larger than it seems—it's a difference of about 35' at 60MPH, and from a stop, a P85D will probably be about 50' ahead of an 85D after 3.5 seconds. That's more than 2 car lengths.

Honestly, at this point, the P85D is now a "middle" model, too, given the capabilities of the P100D. The P85D is closer to the 85D than the P100D in both 0-60 and the 1/4-mile. You won't be disappointed with your 85D, and for what you save in "P" vs. "non-P", you can afford a whole Model 3! (At least when new. I imagine the gap is a somewhat less on the used market.)

That's probably all true. I do however like to know that there's something out there that I like better than what I have, even though, as you said, what I have might be still really good and I might end up getting used to it and not really wanna change it in the end.

A well optioned CPO P85D is still about $85-90K depending on miles, whereas the same for the 85D is probably around $70-80K. So the difference is actually around $15k. I however got my 85D for much cheaper because it lacks almost all options except tech + AP1. It's probably almost impossible to find a P85D that's devoid of a lot of options since these are all high end, so for me the difference was much more than $15k, and eventually I really don't care about any of the options!

/end needless talk about my car and decisions