TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

0-60 champions! We race against the clock in 6 of the UK’s fastest-accelerating cars

Discussion in 'News' started by dpeilow, Feb 10, 2009.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

0-60 champions! | Car Group Tests | Car Reviews | Auto Express

2. siry

siry Member

Yikes! I can't imagine how they got 5.1 seconds. Even without the "12 inch letout" common in most US magazine testing (with the exception of Automobile Magazine), the usual number would be about 4.2 or 4.3. Assume a battery pack that isn't peak charged and maybe a little slower but 5.1 seems really off. Automobile measured 4.7 in the wet.

3. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

Tesla Roadster | Car Group Tests | Car Reviews | Auto Express:

4. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Interesting. Didn't notice those links you can click through when I posted the original story earlier.

So VP12 makes a reappearance. I thought (perhaps Darryl you can confirm) the car did have a DT1.5 when I drove it last year. Maybe they swapped it back again to equip one of the new prototypes with the newer drivetrain.

5. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

bummer

BUMMER! 2nd would have been nice....

6. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

Forget 2nd. The Tesla Sport could have tied for first.

7. felix pius

felix pius Member

come on, let's give them also a chance (the last one):wink:

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Old school thinking.

9. domenick

domenick Nerd

The Ariel is supposed to be able to do it in 2.7. Overall, not a very telling test, IMHO.

10. siry

siry Member

Maybe it has the 1.5 motor and current (850 amps) so the torque is there but mated to the old "stuck in second gear" transmission with a 7:1 ratio (as opposed to the current 8.25:1)

That old setup with the 280 nM torque (650 amps) did 5.7 so same gearing but 380 nM getting 5.1 seconds sounds about right.

I don't know why that car would be offered for a feature on 0-60 acceleration though.

As for Roadster Sport, I would guess that in UK tests it will show 3.9-4.0 and in European tests it will show 4.1 (at peak charge). The fact that there were about 3-4 different permutations of how that number is reported is maddening.

11. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

Darryl,

The article did say the following :

Unfortunately, with the sole official demonstrator busy elsewhere, Tesla could only supply us with a development car from its engineering fleet. We were warned that this older pre-production model wouldn’t be the firm’s fastest – but its pace still raised plenty of eyebrows. What sets the Tesla apart, though, is the driving experience.

So not really a fair comparison at all ....

12. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

To which "sole official demonstrator" are they referring? Is VP19 still in the UK? The last we saw of the newer gray car was in Sweden.

It's interesting to see VP12 again, since it's been MIA for a while.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]