Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0-60 in 3.9s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is the 0-60 of a Roadster in Standard mode? Also, does the power advantage of the Sport translate in Standard mode? i.e. is the Roadster Sport the same as the Roadster when it is not in Performance mode?

I actually have the exact same question and was about to post this as well. Anyone know? Other than the options that the Sport comes with, is there any speed advantage to the Sport if you leave it in Standard mode? Thanks.

Not an expert by any means, but I have been told by a TM rep that the Roadster in performance mode is "almost" as fast as the Roadster Sport in standard mode...probably splitting hairs here if the 3.7 to 3.9 60MPH's differentials in time are correct.

Last edited:
Not an expert by any means, but I have been told by a TM rep that the Roadster in performance mode is "almost" as fast as the Roadster Sport in standard mode...probably splitting hairs here if the 3.7 to 3.9 60MPH's differentials in time are correct.

I asked my sales rep, and he told me the same thing. Basically, Roadster Sport in standard is 0-60 in 3.9 sec.

It is easy to verify a performance difference using the touchscreen, or better yet using the log parser. As a simple example, set the touchscreen to record peak G. Do an acceleration run in standard mode, then repeat in performance. You will see a difference of 0.04 G or so.

Thanks. Do you feel a significant difference? It's possible to replicate a sport package except the engine for $10,000 less so trying to decide.

I'm not sure I would have been able to tell the difference the first time I drove it, but I can now. There's a little more kick, and also I tend to overshoot the speed I was aiming for.

(I love the acceleration but I try not to go too far above the speed limit. The difference between speeding a little or a lot is a fraction of a second, so that took a while to figure out. But I'm calibrated to Standard mode, and I still tend to overdo it in Performance.)

To get the best acceleration / 0 to 60 we need to charge in performance mode, then accelerate when in performance mode.

Would it be correct to say that the advantage of charging in performance mode will be lost after you have driven a few miles as the battery voltage will have dropped to the sort of level that you would have got if you charged in standard mode?

A second question - does the performance driving mode run the batteries hotter? If so I assume that means that you will not get full performance until you have been in performance mode for some time?

For reference I charged in standard mode and did a 0 to 60 in standard mode on the way in to work and got a respectable 4.07 seconds according to the app on my iphone (no idea how accurate this is). Will do a few more tests of the different variables over the next few days to see how it changes.

Alan

I actually have the exact same question and was about to post this as well. Anyone know? Other than the options that the Sport comes with, is there any speed advantage to the Sport if you leave it in Standard mode? Thanks.

This post should answer your question:

I've received a number of PM/emails about the performance of the roadster Sport and recent firmware changes. I did some data collecting on a friends sport and here's what I found:

Do I have to be in performance mode to get the max out of my Roadster Sport?
Yes. The torque in Standard mode is limited to 265 ft-lbs vs 295 ft-lbs in performance. (see plot below)

attachment.php?attachmentid=985&d=1282720654.png

What does it mean when the 'Performance' on the VDS changes from white to red? Do I lose power?
Yes. When VDS 'Performance' turns red, the PEM temp is >= 45C and the max torque is limited to 273 ft-lbs. When 'Performance' is white, the max torque is 295 ft-lbs. The good news is that the PEM fan is very powerful and it cools the PEM down in about 30 seconds. (@26C ambient. YMMV)

attachment.php?attachmentid=983&d=1282720649.png

When the PEM temperature reaches 45C, the max torque will be limited to 273 ft-lbs

attachment.php?attachmentid=982&d=1282720648.png

VDS 'Performance' is red, but the PEM temp is only on the last blue bar.
In the new firmware, the last blue bar is on for PEM temps 43C to 60C.

I recently got a firmware upgrade. The bars on the VDS temperature screen seem to act differently.
This screen has changed how the battery temperature is display. Attached is the data from my 2008 roadster. (I have also checked it against a recent roadster sport VDS )

attachment.php?attachmentid=986&d=1282721159.png

Disclaimer: My conclusions & data could be wrong. I don't work for Tesla nor have any friends that do. I'm just passionate about Tesla's products and understanding how they work. The data is the result of my own analysis of my roadster and discussions with (and log data from) other owners.

Last edited:
I learned a couple of things from someone reliable yesterday. To get the best acceleration / do the best 0 to 60 you do need to charge first in performance mode. This allows the cells to charge to a higher voltage than either standard or range mode. It also allows the cells to charge at a higher temperature.

So the best time to do a 0 to 60 drag will be just after charging in performance mode.

Common sense says that the advantage of charging in performance mode must be lost after a few miles of driving as the cell voltage will drop as the batteries discharge?

Does anyone know how much difference this makes and for how many miles after charging the advantage lasts?

Thanks
Alan

Re thread topic.

When chatting with someone about the car, if I am able to determine early on that they are a motor-head or car-guy I wait for the Inevitable question, "How fast does it go?"

My response then is,

"Oh, this is the slow one. It can only do 0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds."

Reactions are usually priceless.

"How fast does it go?"

My response then is,

From my observations when most people say "fast" they really mean "How fast does it hit 60" or, in better terms, how "quick" is it? I equate it like this:

How quick is it? Oh, it will hit 60 in 3.9.

How fast is it? Faster than you can legally drive it, unless you go to Germany.

The top-end on the Roadster is ~125 if I remember right. The only place I know of that you can legally drive that fast (or faster) is on the Autobahn.

Last edited:
From my observations when most people say "fast" they really mean "How fast does it hit 60" or, in better terms, how "quick" is it? ...

I agree, most people who ask me how fast it is really want to know 0-60 acceleration, and most usually do ask how fast instead of asking about acceleration. So I answer the question I believe they meant to ask instead of the one they asked.

I learned a couple of things from someone reliable yesterday. To get the best acceleration / do the best 0 to 60 you do need to charge first in performance mode. This allows the cells to charge to a higher voltage than either standard or range mode. It also allows the cells to charge at a higher temperature.

I don't think you need to be fully charged in performance mode to get the best 0-60. From the data I collected in the previous graphs, the state of charge was 81% and the battery temp was 28*C. The ideal temp to reach the highest output voltage for a given state of charge is 40*C. So the test case was performed at well below a fully charged, hot battery. The Peak torque was 295 ft-lbs. The PEM was the limiting factor when it's temperature rose above 45*C, reducing the torque to 273 ft-lbs.

So the best time to do a 0 to 60 drag will be just after charging in performance mode.

Common sense says that the advantage of charging in performance mode must be lost after a few miles of driving as the cell voltage will drop as the batteries discharge?

Does anyone know how much difference this makes and for how many miles after charging the advantage lasts?

If you talk to other Roadster sport owners I think you will find that the "performance mode" 0 to 60 is pretty consistant over a range of charge levels (assuming "white" not "red" performance).

I believe the advantage of higher battery voltage only helps at the higher RPMs(above 60mph), as the back EMF has to be overcome to pump more current into the motor. So it might be that the 1/4mile time is affected by the SOC, but not the 0-60.

-Scott

When chatting with someone about the car, if I am able to determine early on that they are a motor-head or car-guy I wait for the Inevitable question, "How fast does it go?"

My response then is,

I love this line. I think I must have read this a few month ago and remembered it because I tell everyone the same thing. You're right, the reaction is great.

Perhaps being a bit hung up on semantics and giving a bit more of the story, but I would say something more like:
"It isn't about 'fast' or horsepower, but about 'quick' and instant torque on demand.
Stoplight to stoplight or merging onto the freeway/highway/motorway there is nothing better.
And all this very quietly with more efficiency than a Prius."