Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0-60 ludicrous model 3 - How much will you pay and How fast should it be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think people who consider ludicrous M3 do not consider much about the competition at $40k level but they rather look at how fast it could go and compare the competition in regards to the 0-60 time. I agree that it is not (and should not be) a competition for MS because if it can run as quick as a MS then soon MS will become history. I do believe that M3 has the capability already to be in par with MS for 0-60 time given the newer battery cells and lighter in weight, but Tesla wouldn't make it that quick yet until they upgrade the MS with the new battery packs and future design.
I don't believe the MS will ever become history. The BMW 7 series is still selling even though the BMW 3 series is as quick.

There is a large group of affluent folks that would NEVER be seen in a BMW 3 series ...... even if the 3 series were a better car. Do you know how embarrassing it would be if all of your friends are driving limbos and Bugatti's and you drive up in a BMW 3 series? You have to come to the party in at least a BMW 7 series just to not be totally insulted. LOL. just kidding.

i doubt 99% of posters would know the difference between 2.0 and 3.0
0-60 times
I disagree, or I'm in the 1%. The difference between P85D and P90DL, for example, is very noticeable. There's significantly less than one second difference in 0-60 times between those variants.

You mean 2 seconds "WILL" be a dream come true.
I sure hope so.

Reactions: Jaff
Who said that it would be odd for a top of the line 3 to cost more than $60K?
I thought you did, my bad.

I will simply reply to each statement without trying to interpret.

Those prices put the M3 outside of the price of its competition by "A LOT".
Those prices are in line with the high end of the BMW 3 series and MB C class, which many people believe to be the 3's competition.

Keep in mind that the competition of the M3 is NOT the MS.
Obviously, who said it was?

Last edited:
I don't think the 0-60 2.0 to 3.0 difference would be as noticeable in an EV as it would in a ICE. Because of the incredible instant torque and all-wheel drive of the PXXD Model 3, it will instantly give you that feeling of acceleration (high changing rate of acceleration or "jerk"). As the rate of acceleration decreases, you lose that sense of speed. I test drove a P90DL Model X. It was wonderful and fast, but my perception of the difference between that and my plebeian Model S 70D was much less than I expected. All that to say, the top spec Model 3 will be plenty fast for me.

If you believe Trevor's source, Tesla got a Model 3 to do 0 to 60 in 2 seconds... would that be fast enough for you;)
(see his statement at starting at 4:43)

Sounds about right, and that's what I was guessing/hoping the PDL version would hit. Now my only question is: Will there be a factory installed microphone option so we can drop it on the competition?

• Funny
Reactions: JeffK
I don't think the 0-60 2.0 to 3.0 difference would be as noticeable in an EV as it would in a ICE. Because of the incredible instant torque and all-wheel drive of the PXXD Model 3, it will instantly give you that feeling of acceleration (high changing rate of acceleration or "jerk"). As the rate of acceleration decreases, you lose that sense of speed. I test drove a P90DL Model X. It was wonderful and fast, but my perception of the difference between that and my plebeian Model S 70D was much less than I expected. All that to say, the top spec Model 3 will be plenty fast for me.
I test drove a P90DL X and have a 60D X now. I can feel the huge difference between the two: I am totally shocked by the P90DL during the whole time when it accelerated from 0 to 60mph, and my head and back couldn't Lean forward at all (first and only time I ever tried the ludicrous mode). My 60D provides the same feeling for the first 20 mph and then I am able to move my body freely for the rest of the acceleration. Maybe you are right the difference between 2.0 and 3.0 is not very significant but I think I will still be able to tell based on how hard the car is pushing me. At the end of the day It is 33% faster.

I disagree, or I'm in the 1%. The difference between P85D and P90DL, for example, is very noticeable. There's significantly less than one second difference in 0-60 times between those variants.

the difference is from 30-75 in the P90DL
if you had your eyes closed you wouldn't know which was which going from 0-60 in 2.8 or 3.1 (you would just be guessing)
it's not that noticeable. i have 2 different cars that will turn 60
one in 3.7 and another 3 sec flat. i really can't tell the difference other than what v-box says.

I think it comes down to one's sense of speed, just like the sense of taste. Some people can taste the difference between a $15 and $50 NY steak and some can't at all. It just depends on how sensitive you are to the change of acceleration. As an experienced roller coaster rider, I think I am very sensitive to the need of speed!

lud mld 3 = wasted money. If you have the money to waste go right ahead.
3.1 will be the max or lowest 0-60 time.
-Van
Wasted money to you maybe, but not to someone else. Show me a comparable car with performance same as a ludicrous mode Model 3 for same cost. Oh, one with 4 doors, not a coupe or sports car. Go on, I will be waiting......

I hope they put the P100DL drivetrain in the M3. I'm hoping that the 2170's can still supply that much current even though the pack will be slightly smaller. That could be a 2.5 second car. I would expect it to cost the same as a MS P100DL. Why not? The only cars that are in the league cost $500k and up. Much profit for Tesla. I would also expect a mid level performance car to rival the BMW M3 for the same money (low 70's) that will be in the high 3's 0-60. The base BMW 3-series (320i) is 7.1s to 60. I expect the base model 3 to be uquicker than that.