Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0-60 MPH for new Long Range Model S WITH and WITHOUT "Drag Strip Mode"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a Dragy on vacation just to get some times in. I'll start off by saying I am not at all happy with the result. As I said earlier in this thread, I was certain my car was not running anywhere close to 3.1 0-60. It was really disappointing. I'll set the stage for the runs. I had just charged the car to 97% to go on a trip. It was fresh off the charger. I ran 3 runs in about a 10 min span. I have also included a time from my M3 LR w/boost that was at 75% charge. It is the slowest show but not by as much as you might think.

Model S Dragy.PNG
Model S Dragy 2.PNG
Model S Dragy 3.PNG

Next time is for a Model 3 LR w/acceleration boost.

Model 3 LR Boost.PNG

Drag strip mode was not used. I don't see how it is going to improve the launch as I don't think traction was an issues. So unless it is diverting more power to the motor, which I doubt, I don't see much of an improvement. My car is at least .4 seconds off the claimed time of the MS LR. That is a HUGE amount. I knew driving it felt softer than I thought it should but the midrange seemed like it really started to pull. I didn't have an opportunity to do a 1/4 mile run. I did get a 30-80 mph run in and it was 3.24 seconds. I also had a valid 30-70 mph run which was 2.47 second.

To put my MS LR times in perspective, the last M3P I tested, would have beat my LR to 60. I think it ran a 3.28 to 60 which is over .2 seconds quicker than my MS LR. When I get a chance I'll try and run it with dragstrip mode engaged by I don't think I'll see any big difference.

So it seems some of the early times I saw posted for other LRs, confirm the disappointing numbers I am seeing. A .4 second gap from claimed is huge. Something is seriously limiting the power at launch. When I have a chance to run dragstrip mode and see if it makes a difference I'll post here. For now I am just seriously disappointed. My M3 w/boost is almost as quick to 60 as my MS LR. Hopefully some other people can post more runs and see if there is a real problem here.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Drag strip mode was not used. I don't see how it is going to improve the launch as I don't think traction was an issues.
Launch mode takes off about 1/10th of a second in my experience. I've not timed my runs w/o preconditioning in Drag Strip Mode, so I can't speak to how much difference that makes, but I imagine it's some, even if you've just been charging. (It would have been interesting to know how long it would have needed to be "peak performance ready" after charging. Probably not long, but probably not instantly, either.)

I've said this before, but when I have taken my MSLR to the 1/8th mile track which does NOT prep the surface, traction is definitely limited—I can hear the wheels chirp. I've got the all season 19" OEM tires. Summer tires might help, but I'm certain track prep would help the most.

I bought a Dragy on vacation just to get some times in. I'll start off by saying I am not at all happy with the result. As I said earlier in this thread, I was certain my car was not running anywhere close to 3.1 0-60. It was really disappointing. I'll set the stage for the runs. I had just charged the car to 97% to go on a trip. It was fresh off the charger. I ran 3 runs in about a 10 min span. I have also included a time from my M3 LR w/boost that was at 75% charge. It is the slowest show but not by as much as you might think.

View attachment 829955View attachment 829956View attachment 829957

View attachment 829958

Drag strip mode was not used. I don't see how it is going to improve the launch as I don't think traction was an issues. So unless it is diverting more power to the motor, which I doubt, I don't see much of an improvement. My car is at least .4 seconds off the claimed time of the MS LR. That is a HUGE amount. I knew driving it felt softer than I thought it should but the midrange seemed like it really started to pull. I didn't have an opportunity to do a 1/4 mile run. I did get a 30-80 mph run in and it was 3.24 seconds. I also had a valid 30-70 mph run which was 2.47 second.

To put my MS LR times in perspective, the last M3P I tested, would have beat my LR to 60. I think it ran a 3.28 to 60 which is over .2 seconds quicker than my MS LR. When I get a chance I'll try and run it with dragstrip mode engaged by I don't think I'll see any big difference.

So it seems some of the early times I saw posted for other LRs, confirm the disappointing numbers I am seeing. A .4 second gap from claimed is huge. Something is seriously limiting the power at launch. When I have a chance to run dragstrip mode and see if it makes a difference I'll post here. For now I am just seriously disappointed. My M3 w/boost is almost as quick to 60 as my MS LR. Hopefully some other people can post more runs and see if there is a real problem here.
I do think that Tesla is really limiting the launch. The car has 670hp and at launch it doesn't feel it. BUT as you have noticed the car pulls hard after 30mph. The MS LR will be faster than M3P after 30mph for sure. I am really hoping Tesla either improves the launch or offers boost upgrade.

Reactions: Drew-MS

View attachment 829958

I do think you should try drag mode with cheetah. You may be able to get the claimed 3.1sec.

I do think you should try drag mode with cheetah. You may be able to get the claimed 3.1sec.
I think I am too far away to get there. That is a huge amount; 0.4 seconds is a massive gap to close when basically the car launched perfectly every time.

What it is really disappointing is comparing it to my M3 LR w/boost. Nothing special, just punch it and go, and even with 70-75% charge level it is just a touch slower than my MS LR. The power to weight advantage of the S over my 3 is pretty big but if someone in my 3 got the jump on me at the light it would likely beat my S to 60.

Reactions: fetar30310
IMHO, the launch is softened for sure. It's likely that way to prevent excess drivetrain wear from the many launches that some owners do.

I feel like the vehicle has adequate power as produced.
I think the launch is softened to widen the gap of the Plaid. If a 1020hp Plaid has no issue with drivetrain wear then why should a 670hp version?

I think I am too far away to get there. That is a huge amount; 0.4 seconds is a massive gap to close when basically the car launched perfectly every time.

What it is really disappointing is comparing it to my M3 LR w/boost. Nothing special, just punch it and go, and even with 70-75% charge level it is just a touch slower than my MS LR. The power to weight advantage of the S over my 3 is pretty big but if someone in my 3 got the jump on me at the light it would likely beat my S to 60.
You may be surprised. Conditioning the battery (drag mode), lowering the front (cheetah) for better traction may just do the trick.

That being said I think your Model S LR should be awesome above 30mph....much much faster than your M3 LR. As a matter of fact, the MS LR is indeed a LOT faster than even the M3 P in the 1/4 mile.

You may be surprised. Conditioning the battery (drag mode), lowering the front (cheetah) for better traction may just do the trick.

That being said I think your Model S LR should be awesome above 30mph....much much faster than your M3 LR. As a matter of fact, the MS LR is indeed a LOT faster than even the M3 P in the 1/4 mile.
The mid range pull has been the most fun part of the car. The car really feels like a dog immediately off the line. This is where my LR isn't matching up to what is claimed by Tesla. I read Omar's thread about using dragstrip mode for his Plaid and it made about .1 seconds difference.

Not a huge one but significant given the times the car was running. I would argue that for the Plaid it is even more important to condition the batteries as it is using the same pack as the LR but has to generate about 50% more power. Hence the need for optimal temperatures to feed the current demands.

The mid range pull has been the most fun part of the car. The car really feels like a dog immediately off the line. This is where my LR isn't matching up to what is claimed by Tesla. I read Omar's thread about using dragstrip mode for his Plaid and it made about .1 seconds difference.

Not a huge one but significant given the times the car was running. I would argue that for the Plaid it is even more important to condition the batteries as it is using the same pack as the LR but has to generate about 50% more power. Hence the need for optimal temperatures to feed the current demands.
Yeah I've noticed something similar. Initial launch is slow but it gets strong even after 20mph. Also remember that this car has 670hp, the older P100D

I would just try it. You never know. The Plaid is also reaching the limits of its tires. Who knows the LR may do .3sec better. Also note that .1 sec in the 2.0 sec range is probably more like .2 sec in the 3.0 sec range.

What wheels and tires do you have(Edit: I see in your sig 19" so that isn't the issue)? I shaved .3 seconds off of my Model 3 Performance 0-60 mph by using smaller and lighter wheels along with preconditioning properly. The Tesla acceleration claims only apply to certain wheel and tire combinations. If you have the 21" wheels then that can slow you down a lot sometimes.

Try it with full dragstrip mode and make sure you aren't going uphill. Your Dragy results indicate a significant uphill. Try to find a place that is just below the -.99% downhill. That actually makes a big difference.

Reactions: Drew-MS and bhzmark
What wheels and tires do you have(Edit: I see in your sig 19" so that isn't the issue)? I shaved .3 seconds off of my Model 3 Performance 0-60 mph by using smaller and lighter wheels along with preconditioning properly. The Tesla acceleration claims only apply to certain wheel and tire combinations. If you have the 21" wheels then that can slow you down a lot sometimes.

Try it with full dragstrip mode and make sure you aren't going uphill. Your Dragy results indicate a significant uphill. Try to find a place that is just below the -.99% downhill. That actually makes a big difference.
Thanks for the thoughts. I want to get as close to the promised performance as I can so I have a baseline before any other mods. I had forged wheels for my Y and absolutely no measurable improvement in any acceleration times but the car felt a lot more nimble.

I have a set of 20" forged wheels that I plan to put on my LR once I have a solid baseline as close to promised times as I can get. If I go back to Tesla with any mods they'll try and say the mods are the reason it isn't meeting the claimed performance numbers. Even if the mod would have vastly improved performance, they'll blame it. I don't want to argue with idiots and give them potential excuses.

My next runs will be even without the cargo cover, rear floor cover, etc. to give it every possible benefit of the doubt. Being off .4 seconds at this speed is very significant. I haven't run the numbers but it would probably be a 50-70 HP deficit. So only putting down 600-620 HP instead of the claimed 670. That shouldn't be an anyone's margin of error for power output.

Please let us know how it goes after you have tried all the recommendations (i.e good surface, no hill, drag+cheetah mode).

Also for reference, the older P100D had 605hp somehow achieved 0-60 in 2.5sec AND that one was 300lbs heavier!

The new LR has 65 more horsepower, 300lbs less weight and is somehow listed at 3.1sec. Tesla is dogging this thing for sure. That's why we all need to get on twitter and voice our concerns.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd

View attachment 829958

Here are my best Model 3 Performance 0-60 mph times(Stock and with 18” wheels) for comparison.

Stock:
E0CEEB1D-2121-4F13-A44A-632071915F4C.png

18” Wheels:
D57C38B6-0BC9-4AF7-9538-3BE72AD1D20F.png

I went out and ran some runs today. The best runs I got were still worse than @mpgxsvcd. I am sorting through my notes so I can upload the runs. I tried with and without dragstrip mode, dragstrip mode with and without Cheetah mode.

I also pulled out everything of the car I possibly could. All covers, CCS connector, pencils, napkins, pretty much everything but the floor mats. I started at 84% charge. I think the batteries were very close to temp as it took less than a minute of turning on drag strip mode and it said the batteries were at temps.

I'll post the runs when I can get them all off the phone and sorted out. Every run today was quicker than my previous best run even with about 13% lower Soc (84 vs 97%). Early analysis says at best dragstrip w/Cheetah is worth at best about 0.1 seconds, if that, on my car. My fastest run was the first run. If being generous, and assuming it makes that much of a difference, I could subtract another 0.1 seconds as an adjustment for the SoC not being in the mid to high 90% range.

Some good news in the runs is the first 4 were super consistent and in a tight bracket, and then the next group were about 0.1 seconds slower but a pretty tight group as well. I should be able to upload them later tonight.

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I went out and ran some runs today. The best runs I got were still worse than @mpgxsvcd. I am sorting through my notes so I can upload the runs. I tried with and without dragstrip mode, dragstrip mode with and without Cheetah mode.

I also pulled out everything of the car I possibly could. All covers, CCS connector, pencils, napkins, pretty much everything but the floor mats. I started at 84% charge. I think the batteries were very close to temp as it took less than a minute of turning on drag strip mode and it said the batteries were at temps.

I'll post the runs when I can get them all off the phone and sorted out. Every run today was quicker than my previous best run even with about 13% lower Soc (84 vs 97%). Early analysis says at best dragstrip w/Cheetah is worth at best about 0.1 seconds, if that, on my car. My fastest run was the first run. If being generous, and assuming it makes that much of a difference, I could subtract another 0.1 seconds as an adjustment for the SoC not being in the mid to high 90% range.

Some good news in the runs is the first 4 were super consistent and in a tight bracket, and then the next group were about 0.1 seconds slower but a pretty tight group as well. I should be able to upload them later tonight.
Do one pass near 100% battery with full preconditioning and cheetah stance. That is what their claimed numbers are based off of.

First rund was best so far. It was at 84% charge, dragstrip mode (DSM) and cheetah stance.
Next run was very close to that. AC was off and any other things that could draw any
current were off and windows were up. It was probably 110F inside the car. Didn't even
have the seat fans on.

IMG_4348.PNG
IMG_4349.PNG

Next 2 were very tightly grouped and done the same way. DSM, and cheetah. So 4 back to back runs
with a very tight grouping. Not much fall off between runs. Pretty impressive but slower than I'd hoped.
IMG_4351.PNG
IMG_4350.PNG

This next run was same as the previous run and charge level had fallen off to about 80%. It dropped to a 3.4.
The very next run is the same time but only DSM, no cheetah. No benefit from cheetah.
IMG_4352.PNG
IMG_4353.PNG

Last run of this group. No DSM or cheetah, just punch it an go. I had the AC on this point as I couldn't stand
the heat any longer. I also had to drive a bit more to get a run in. The next runs are from various speeds
showing 30-80, 30-70 mph and 30-50 mph. Regardless of what the car ran 0-60 (and a lot more variation there)
the 30-XX times were MUCH more consistent. Typically within just a few hundredths of a second. It is obvious
the LR is pulling pretty hard to go from 30-80 mph in just a little over 3 seconds. I have some other times
from when I just ran to the store for comparison I'll post in a few minutes.
IMG_4354.PNG
IMG_4355.PNG
IMG_4356.PNG
IMG_4357.PNG

I only have one run for this post. This run basically proves to me that DSM (drag strip mode, DSMC (dragstrip mode w/cheetah) are pretty much worthless on the LR. My car had been sitting for several hours. Inside temp was 99 degrees. I got in the car, turned on the AC, rolled out to the nearest road at a max of 35 mph. While at the light, I connected Dragy and just hit the throttle when the light turned green.

AC was on, fan was at about a 7, lights were on and I was listening to music. Just gas it and go. SoC was 77% when I got in the car, didn't look before I made the run so could have been as low as 76% already. No warm up of the pack, no pre-conditioning of any sort, lower state of charge than earlier AC was on, lights on, radio on, absolutely less than ideal conditions.

Comparing the times, I am only .08 seconds slower than my best doing all the DSMC mumbo jumbo and with a lower SoC and all the accessory draw as well. So if DSMC makes a difference, I clearly am not seeing it in my runs and on the streets I am driving. As I mentioned upstream, I felt that it might benefit the Plaid but highly unlikely to make much of a difference on the LR. I think this last run pretty much proves that. Not to mention my earlier runs where the times were identical when I took it out of DSM. An argument could be made that the pack was still warm from DSM but it clearly showed cheetah made no difference. Here the car didn't even have a warm pack and had been sitting for hours and a low SoC.

If I have time, I'll make some runs with the SoC higher tomorrow. I will do some DSM and DSMC runs but I don't see any real benefit for far with the LR. At a minimum the C part is totally impractical on the street especially when I can't measure any significant difference so far.

For the sake of argument though I'll do with the assumption that the extra 20-30HP I might get from the higher SoC might somehow be enough extra power that cheetah mode will somehow have a benefit on the LR. /sarcasm

IMG_4361.PNG