Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0-60 MPH for new Long Range Model S WITH and WITHOUT "Drag Strip Mode"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i’d love to experience an LR and see just how different it is from the plaid real world. My bet is the LR, plaid, turbo and turbo S will all feel pretty similar for driving around town and certainly all would get you easily beyond legal limits in a hurry.

i’d love to experience an LR and see just how different it is from the plaid real world. My bet is the LR, plaid, turbo and turbo S will all feel pretty similar for driving around town and certainly all would get you easily beyond legal limits in a hurry.
I think a Plaid on sport mode may be close to a LR. You are correct in the real world I doubt there is a difference between a Plaid and LR. I can’t imagine you could fully utilize 1000hp on the street.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Bang for the buck, the LR is a good deal. Honestly, though the Porsche is a far better car to drive if you want to carve up the backroads or drive aggressively. You can tell the heritage of the car. Yes, there are things they could improve, it costs a lot more money, etc. etc.

My past experiences with the Porsches I've owned is that they are pretty conservative with their claims for the most part. It seemed like pretty much any car that rolled off the assembly could meet their numbers, if not beat them. I think for the Taycan Turbo S, it was claimed 2.6 0-60 and Car and Driver got a 2.4 with it. If you promise performance numbers, any random car off the assembly line should be able to run those numbers.

As I've said before, I am happy with the midrange pull. However there is nothing promised by Tesla here. Also I live where I can't really take advantage of the top end pull that much anyway, and by then you are in license-losing territory. The Plaids I see on the streets here are like have a racehorse in shackles. Totally useless when the vast majority of the time you are luck to go over 60-70 on the highways with all the traffic.
It occurred to me, do you have all-season tires or performance/summer tires? It seems that some are getting all-season and others are getting performance/summer tires.

Certainly the performance/summer tires will grip better and probably result in a better 0-60.

Another thing to try: Put suspension setting on the lowest height level and maximum firmness level. This may help reduce the front end lift on acceleration which again will result in better grip on the front wheels.

I would be curious if someone with summer tires and suspension set to firmest/lowest can post their results.

Thanks for the thought but I've beat this dead horse to a pulp I think. I am not going to pick up almost 0.2 seconds anywhere. Tires are clearly not my limiting factor. I've played with air pressure, suspension, almost everything I can tweak and it is up to Tesla to get me the .2 seconds I am owed. At least now when I put on my lightweight 20" wheels, I have a very solid baseline to work from.

While is slow according to the Tesla's specs, the Challenger Hellcat Redeye (CHR) I ran tonight might have a different opinion. It puts into perspective how quick my slow LR still is. I was at 46% charge, AC on, kid seat in the car (no kid). A VERY loud CHR pulls up to me. I size his car up a bit, bigger rear tires, louder than stock and a lumpier idle. He does a quick burnout to warm his tires next to me and clearly wants to run. I figure what the heck, I'll get the chicken skewers home a bit quicker for my wife but I am not going to break the speed limit of 60 mph (at least by not much).

Light turns green. My reaction time beat his and the Tesla was gone. No chance of him remotely running me down. He followed me for a while until I started to get on the highway. He hit the throttle a bit to see if I'd run from a roll. I indulged him on the next hit and it was adios Hellcat. Likely given more room he might have pulled me at higher speeds but the LR is a pretty quick family car and I strongly avoid the go to jail speeds on the street.

Thanks for the thought but I've beat this dead horse to a pulp I think. I am not going to pick up almost 0.2 seconds anywhere. Tires are clearly not my limiting factor. I've played with air pressure, suspension, almost everything I can tweak and it is up to Tesla to get me the .2 seconds I am owed. At least now when I put on my lightweight 20" wheels, I have a very solid baseline to work from.

While is slow according to the Tesla's specs, the Challenger Hellcat Redeye (CHR) I ran tonight might have a different opinion. It puts into perspective how quick my slow LR still is. I was at 46% charge, AC on, kid seat in the car (no kid). A VERY loud CHR pulls up to me. I size his car up a bit, bigger rear tires, louder than stock and a lumpier idle. He does a quick burnout to warm his tires next to me and clearly wants to run. I figure what the heck, I'll get the chicken skewers home a bit quicker for my wife but I am not going to break the speed limit of 60 mph (at least by not much).

Light turns green. My reaction time beat his and the Tesla was gone. No chance of him remotely running me down. He followed me for a while until I started to get on the highway. He hit the throttle a bit to see if I'd run from a roll. I indulged him on the next hit and it was adios Hellcat. Likely given more room he might have pulled me at higher speeds but the LR is a pretty quick family car and I strongly avoid the go to jail speeds on the street.
Awesome story. Not much can pull on the LR after 50mph. That’s why I asked if you did a 30-70mph with your Taycan buddy. It’s pretty much game over as the LR really starts to get into its game after 50mph. If he couldn’t beat you at a light he’s got no chance.

Awesome story. Not much can pull on the LR after 50mph. That’s why I asked if you did a 30-70mph with your Taycan buddy. It’s pretty much game over as the LR really starts to get into its game after 50mph. If he couldn’t beat you at a light he’s got no chance.
Such a major change from the pre-refresh S, which is quite the opposite - totally loses steam after like 60.

As I've mentioned before, the midrange pull is like a 750 sport bike. The average person hopping on one of those and twisting the throttle at about 50 mph is going to be surprised how hard they pull. To have a car pull that well at the original price point of the LR is a screaming deal. Even with the price drifting up it is a very good deal.

Given how heavy the car is to start with, even adding a person or two doesn't really slow it down that much either.

Reactions: koorosh