Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0-60 MPH for new Long Range Model S WITH and WITHOUT "Drag Strip Mode"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
got 2022 model S lr on 19" today.

tried a few 0-60 runs using dragy

from feeling alone its slower onnstart but then catch up and mayyyybe somewhat faster past 50.

from dragy its way slower from start and get about same g force as my 2020 perf at 90-100 mph

the 2020 dragy fully dressed is 2.5 using launch mode battery heated 80%soc
the 2022lr fully dressed is 3.3 using launch mode battery heated 78%soc

not using launch mode ( no battery heat) on both
the 2020 2.9
the 2022 3.5

so the 2020has more punch down low much more but top end look similar

That’s the kind of question we’ve all been asking but it seems not a single LR owner cares about that.

I wish Elon would just remove Insane mode and dragstrip mode from the LR. These guys clearly don’t care enough about their car performance to deserve such tasty treats.

I should be jk, but I’m not. After more than 14days and not a single registered 1/4mile run, I say revoke their privileges. Anyone on the fence, if you can’t believe no one has a single run for the LR, you’re not a LR driver but a Plaid driver.
Downvote from those of us that love fast cars, but don't make gobs of money.

The new Long Range Tesla Model S not only has Dragstrip mode and Cheetah mode just like the PLAID, but also on top of Chill and Regular the new Long Range has an "Insane" option as well. The question that is dumbfounding me is how does Dragstrip and Cheetah mode effect 0-60 performance on the Long Range Model S? In other word what is the point and effect of Dragstrip and Cheetah mode on the Long Range?
Does the Long Range Tesla Model S have Dragstrip and Cheetah mode, just like the Plaid? I have a 2022 MS. How do you access them?

Downvote from those of us that love fast cars, but don't make gobs of money.
Only money has nothing to do with that. If you don't have money for a Plaid, you can still get out and test the LR acceleration. Dragy cost only 200$. I think LR don't really care much about performance, or at least not enough to get out and test.

I take all these downvotes as a proof that I'm right as none of these downvoters provided a Dragy/Performance box result. You can downvote this post as well.

I have the LR and I do care about performance. I might be more concerned about it but I when looking for a speed rush I'll ride one of my faster motorcycles. If I didn't have them, I might have gone for the Plaid. Unfortunately where I usually drive the car, no real place to open it up. I am surrounded by 30 mph roads. Then the main highway is usually a parking lot. No 1/4 mile tracks nearby and I could care less about 1/8th mile times.

I finally got away from the congested area to someplace a bit more open where I could maybe get some test runs in and left my dragy at home. I may buy another one to get some runs in to just have a baseline for later. It doesn't feel like my car is pulling a 3.1 0-60. It definitely feels softer off the line than that but really starts to pull like I think it should about 20-30 mph.

If I were to compare it to the M3P, it launches slower but then will easily pull it. If I had to put a number on the time, it would be about 3.3 with rollout to 60. From what I've seen anecdotally here, nobody has run the claimed 3.1 with their LR which is pretty disappointing. I may just order another dragy and see if my suspicions are correct. It really feels like Tesla is launching the LR very softly compared to the performance it has on tap.

Reactions: mscott
That’s the kind of question we’ve all been asking but it seems not a single LR owner cares about that.

I wish Elon would just remove Insane mode and dragstrip mode from the LR. These guys clearly don’t care enough about their car performance to deserve such tasty treats.

I should be jk, but I’m not. After more than 14days and not a single registered 1/4mile run, I say revoke their privileges. Anyone on the fence, if you can’t believe no one has a single run for the LR, you’re not a LR driver but a Plaid driver.
Maybe they want to go fast but the 9 mile range is more important.

Maybe they want to go fast but the 9 mile range is more important.
Or maybe they want to go fast, but the $40K is more important. :rolleyes: (In my car, it paid for trading in our 2018 M3P for a 2022 MY as well as all the PPF and tint for both the MY and MSLR, with money to spare.)

This MSLR is my road trip car that I take to the drag strip for occasional fun and I'm thrilled my car has Drag Strip mode. I love going to the drag strip, but at my closest strip—an 1/8th mile strip—there are vanishingly few vehicles that can beat my MSLR. Close to half of the drivers there refuse to even line up with me. I go maybe 3 or 4 times a year, and it just didn't make sense to drop all that extra money to have literally no competition. Being the fastest car (by far) at the drag strip is boring. At this 1/8th mile track, I actually enjoy those rare times when I lose, because at least then the race was actually close and interesting. Seriously, it gets to the point where I sit at the light for just long enough to make the finish close and that's how I can make the races interesting. But that can also make you look like an a-hole.

The 1/4-mile strip is more fun and there are more true competitors there, but it's almost a 2 hour drive (each way), requires charging near the track to have a high SOC, and they run their T&T on Wednesdays so I have to take the afternoon off work.

On the street, there are few cars that are quicker from the stop light or even passing on the highway. And I don't drag race on the street.

Or maybe they want to go fast, but the $40K is more important. :rolleyes: (In my car, it paid for trading in our 2018 M3P for a 2022 MY as well as all the PPF and tint for both the MY and MSLR, with money to spare.)
I think the price delta was 50k when I ordered my LR. That paid for our Model Y. Which we then sold for a profit. Further driving down the price of the S.

Tracks are getting few and far between. While I've ran quite a few 1/8th mile tracks, I never really saw the appeal. I always preferred the 1/4 mile. If I had a less than optimal start, I still had a chance to maybe run them down. At the 1/8th, once you launch, the race is almost over.

If you win all the time, it does get pretty boring. The close races are the most fun for me, win or lose.

What I love/hate about Teslas is it takes no skill to launch them. Any expert or moron can take one and run a quick time. I grew up driving cars where it took a lot of finesse to get a good launch and run a great time. A Tesla almost turns it into a video game. Just pull the trigger and you are done.

I dont see how having a performance boost option for the LR will hurt the plaid. Even a boost won't come near the plaid. I mean, I wouldn't skip on the plaid for a LR with a performance boost if plaid is what I wanted. Make the LR a 10.5 quarter mile car.

I'd like a boosted LR to be low 10's or at least 10.3 or so. Keep the trap speeds the same and I am in. The launch is just so soft on the LR compared to what it could be. The midrange pull is pretty nice. Have a boosted LR run 2.6-2.7 0-60 and it would be about perfect for me.

Reactions: drunkenbuda
I'd like a boosted LR to be low 10's or at least 10.3 or so. Keep the trap speeds the same and I am in. The launch is just so soft on the LR compared to what it could be. The midrange pull is pretty nice. Have a boosted LR run 2.6-2.7 0-60 and it would be about perfect for me.
I'm sure Tesla can make it happen. They put out a boost option for the LR 3/Y. I don't see why they can't make it happen for the new LR S. We all know the LR is being held back! And for whoever said that LR owners don't care about performance, they are so wrong! Tesla could make a good bit by asking $2k-$5k for anyone wanting a boost option. I doubt this would take away from Plaid sales but it would certainly make the LR owners very happy and Tesla some more money.

I've added boost to my 3 & Y so I am definitely in if they offer it for the S. I would like a little more punch off the line.

I ran a Rivian R1T today. Not sure what state of charge he was at. I was at 75%. It definitely launched harder than my S. I didn't have my head inside the cockpit so I can only give some estimated speeds but 0-20 or so, the Rivian was quicker. I would say about 30 mph the rate of acceleration was about the same. At 40 I started to run him down. I'd say he just beat me to 60 by about a half car to a car length. Shortly after 60 I was past him and easily running away.

I have a Dragy and Racebox on order and I think I have a place where I am at on vacation to actually make a few runs to see what my car is actually running. It clearly isn't running 3.1 to 60. That should be the number with rollout. I don't think I'd be at 3.1 without rollout.

I don’t think 3.1s is with a rollout. I think they only did the rollout for the Plaid which is probably realistically 2.2s.

That being said the LR is definitely is being held back. I’m sure it has the ability to push the limits of the tires and it doesn’t feel like it’s getting to that limit.

Then interesting thing is when you punch the LR at like say 30 it goes hard. You can tell it is doing full power at that point.

I’m pretty sure Tesla leaves some performance on the table to offer upgrades later. Makes owners happy and they make some money.

I wish Tesla would be consistent with their timing methodology when quoting the stats for all their cars rather than trying to make the performance models look better by comparison. They do the little " * with rollout subtracted" and then quote the LR and others with rollout.

So following Tesla's approach with no asterisk by the times for the LR, it should be 3.1 sec with rollout. So if you subtract rollout (~.2 sec) to compare it with the Plaid or M3P, it should be closer to 2.9 without rollout compared to the 1.99 for Plaid and 3.1 for M3P. I have not seen a single run from anywhere for the MS LR running a 3.1 with rollout. Most runs are 3.3 to 3.4 and that is a BIG difference as far as I am concerned. Even without rollout I don't think I've seen any runs that are 3.1 for the LR.

Anyway I think my dragy should be showing up at my vacation place Saturday and I'll try and get some runs in if I don't have massive rain like today.

If people in the Model S LR are getting 3.2/3.3sec 0-60 the car is clearly being held back. After all it's a good 600lbs lighter than the Model X LR and those are getting 3.3/3.4sec 0-60. You would expect a bigger difference than that.

I feel the same in the Plaid, except in the 60-150 region. A ~0.3second drop in the quarter would be perfect, and get these cars into the 8s stock.
Is that sarcasm or are you just a acceleration junkie? I mean the car is considered the fastest in the world and most are probably legitimately scared of full acceleration of the Plaid ;)