Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0-60 MPH test of LR RWD on 2019.36.2.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A very rudimentary test of the new power increase using an online stopwatch and slow motion video. Conditions were wet and cold (41F) and the battery was a little cold too. The only preconditioning was a 20 minute top-off charge about 15 minutes prior. It slipped slightly on launch. I’ll run another test tomorrow in dry weather and better preconditioning.

[TESLA] Model 3 0-60 mph on v2019.36.2.1 LR RWD

Curious on the range increase as well! Did you see anything different ?

Do you see your WH (power usage) drop and become more efficient?

So, I got the range increase the first time around and I still maintain it. 325 miles, but with slight degradation limits at about 316 at this point. I have 35k miles.

Regarding efficiency, it’s hard to say. The same day I got the update was the first day of bitter cold temps. It appears a little better but I haven’t done any comprehensive tracking. For reference, I traveled my usual route (92 miles round trip) with heat set to 66, recirc, no AC, driver seat heater set to high, no passengers, no cargo, sport wheels, mostly highway at 75-80 mph, some city streets. Got 221 Wh/mi. I recall this meeting more around 230 in similar conditions in March 2019 (with same range increase). I’ll do some more testing. Hope this helps.

SR+ here, and since the update I noticed a significant whine from the motor (or speakers?) under full acceleration. Are you picking up any noise on your LR RWD?

LR RWD here. There is definitely a difference in both the electric whine and linearity of the power delivery under full acceleration. Not surprising since the power electronics team has no doubt tweaked the modulation of the inverter to improve power delivery. Having lived with the car for over a year and knowing it's sounds, it has changed.

I could feel the change instantly after the update and i'm loving it! It feels like the increase is more at the lower end of RPMs this time whereas the last power improvement was more mid-range.

LR RWD here. There is definitely a difference in both the electric whine and linearity of the power delivery under full acceleration. Not surprising since the power electronics team has no doubt tweaked the modulation of the inverter to improve power delivery. Having lived with the car for over a year and knowing it's sounds, it has changed.

I could feel the change instantly after the update and i'm loving it! It feels like the increase is more at the lower end of RPMs this time whereas the last power improvement was more mid-range.
Well said. It’s important to note, however, that the increased whine is under hard acceleration. Is that your experience as well?

Cool, nice to know that in sub optimal conditions we are still clearing 5 seconds.
Not that this matters at all. Latest power increase is perfect.
No longer thinking about the AWD I could have had.

AMG friends are starting to consider the switch too.

So, I got the range increase the first time around and I still maintain it. 325 miles, but with slight degradation limits at about 316 at this point. I have 35k miles.

Regarding efficiency, it’s hard to say. The same day I got the update was the first day of bitter cold temps. It appears a little better but I haven’t done any comprehensive tracking. For reference, I traveled my usual route (92 miles round trip) with heat set to 66, recirc, no AC, driver seat heater set to high, no passengers, no cargo, sport wheels, mostly highway at 75-80 mph, some city streets. Got 221 Wh/mi. I recall this meeting more around 230 in similar conditions in March 2019 (with same range increase). I’ll do some more testing. Hope this helps.

I see no increase in range, at all, with 36.2.1. At around 22,300 miles and 1.5 years old, my LR RWD gets around 316 these days, and I only ever saw an increase to about 321 when the initial update came online for my car (the one that was touted as bringing LR RWD's to 325). With the mileage I've got on mine, and the 1.5 year age, I'm probably starting to see a bit of degradation. But I will say after this latest update to 36.2.1, it seems I've seen a drop of around 3-5 miles range, for extrapolated 100% SOC range.

It's all ok with me. The way I see it, I bought a 310 mile range car, and now after 22,300 miles and 1.5 years and whatever degradation may have already occurred, my range has *increased* by around 5 miles, all things considered. How can I be upset with that??

Last edited:
Reactions: TEG

I can definitely hear the whine has changed under hard acceleration as well. I thought it was just something on my car, and never considered it was the update. Good to know others have that too. I think it actually sounds kind of cool.

Reactions: FSKT
I can definitely hear the whine has changed under hard acceleration as well. I thought it was just something on my car, and never considered it was the update. Good to know others have that too. I think it actually sounds kind of cool.
Yes, you can hear the difference in whine under hard acceleration. TBH, I don't hear much of anything under light acceleration.

It's interesting that others online are reporting zero performance increase for the LR RWD this go around. Are my impressions placebo? I honestly don't think so. Either way though, I honestly don't care. I grow more satisfied with the car by the day.

I also find it interesting that some with LR RWD report no change. I felt nothing the last 5% increase. I noticed one person commented that they got more power last time but nothing this time.

Most people can't really tell the difference between 100 and 105%. The data I've seen posted so far shows that there is an increase and it's more impactful after about 45 mph on the Model 3 where peak power is reached, the HP seems to fall off slower than before. That means it will do little to boost 0-60 times but should help with performance more around 45-100 and in 1/4 mile times.

Most people can't really tell the difference between 100 and 105%. The data I've seen posted so far shows that there is an increase and it's more impactful after about 45 mph on the Model 3 where peak power is reached, the HP seems to fall off slower than before. That means it will do little to boost 0-60 times but should help with performance more around 45-100 and in 1/4 mile times.
After 45 it used to let go and just chill. Now when you hit 45 you feel a consistent pull till about 60mph. Quite nice!

What's also odd/interesting, is that the mid-range apparently is now getting 0-60 times of around 4.9 seconds. That's not meaningfully different than (perhaps essentially the same as) the LR RWD "upgraded" 0-60 time, also 4.9 seconds, give or take a hundredth of a second. I understand the mid-range was first advertised as getting about 5.6 seconds 0-60. So 4.9 is a significant step up for them.

I recall the LR RWD was first advertised as around 5.1, 5.2 0-60. So the improvement there is not as significant.

So, now the mid-range is just as quick as the LR RWD. Well, good for the mid-range folks!

And here’s my second test under slightly better conditions. It was still cold out and the battery showed a few dotted lines in the regen side. But the ground was dry and it was preconditioned for about 15 minutes. Managed to get it under 4.9 seconds. Bear in mind, this is the raw time. This does not include a roll out as other official times recorded using a Dragy device might yield. Allowing for roll out might shave off another .2 seconds or more.

We shouldn’t feel too bad about it. Tesla never started where in the power band the 5% was put. For all we know, it could’ve been at speeds above 60. From my own feel, it seems like it’s faster above 45, but it’s just “feel”.