Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0-60 of Model 3 Performance under 15% Battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it feels the same under 30%, the problem is at highway speed the car falls flat on its face trying to accelerate. I had the unfortunate experience driving back home on a 200 mile trip when I arrived home only having 2% left.i Learned my lesson to never let the battery go under 30% if I don't want to change my normal driving habits. So long story short Yes the M3P 0-60 is under 4 seconds up to 5% battery. After that the car feels like a Toyota corolla screaming at redline trying to accelarate to 60.

While lower states of charge do kill the 0-60 times, with no ability to shift the power band, things just get worse as RPM increases. The downward slope of the dyno charts after hitting peak HP & Torque show it all, but just for fun I recorded some data at the track with Scan My Tesla to see the effect in action. What is interesting to me is how much the HP and torque fall off at higher RPMs for any given SoC. With a basically full battery (97.7%) the rear motor HP dropped from a brief peak of 371 at 6,200 rpm (about 45 mph) down to 292 at 13,000 rpm (about 100 mph). Torque was even worse dropping from 298 ft-lbs to 112.

• Informative
Reactions: cochran
While lower states of charge do kill the 0-60 times, with no ability to shift the power band, things just get worse as RPM increases. The downward slope of the dyno charts after hitting peak HP & Torque show it all, but just for fun I recorded some data at the track with Scan My Tesla to see the effect in action. What is interesting to me is how much the HP and torque fall off at higher RPMs for any given SoC. With a basically full battery (97.7%) the rear motor HP dropped from a brief peak of 371 at 6,200 rpm (about 45 mph) down to 292 at 13,000 rpm (about 100 mph). Torque was even worse dropping from 298 ft-lbs to 112.

Pretty cool to see the drop you saw in SMT kind of correlates with drop in HP from MPP’s RWD Dyno graphs...which is ~70-75ish hp from peak to 11rpms

Rwd. Tesla Model 3 LR RWD Dyno Testing At Various SOC | Mountain Pass Performance

P
erformance Tesla Performance Model 3 Dyno Testing At Various SOC | Mountain Pass Performance

Last edited:
What speeds do 6krpm, 10krpm, 11krpm and 13krpm correlate with? Are you able to get more 6krpm data points for various SoC?

6k ~ 45 mph; 10k ~ 75 mph; 11k ~ 85 mph; 13k ~ 100 mph.

I don't have many good 6k data points from the track as that speed generally occurs through the corners when I am not accelerating. For the video I only used data points where I was at 100% throttle, with steering input as close to zero as possible.

Pretty cool to see the drop...correlates with MPP’s RWD Dyno graphs.
Yes, just a real world example of what the dynos tell us. The dynos usually stop around 11k RPM, but the 13k+ results from the track show that the lines would just keep decreasing.
The data set I found most interesting was that at 49% SoC the motor was only producing 188 hp and 91 ft-lbs of torque at 85 mph/11k rpm. That's a huge drop from the peaks!